Thread: Tire Q's (PSI at altitude)

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Swift's Avatar

Tire Q's (PSI at altitude)

I spoke to a few of you at the Parade about my upcoming trip to Vegas. My question is toward the tire guru's here. If I leave Golden and head straight over to Grand Junction, should I be worried about checking my PSI periodically or should I just set them lower than usual and check them when I start to cross into Utah and Nevada? I typically run 38/40 on the PR2's as recommended by the R1150R owners on a separate forum for 1 up riding with or without luggage.
    2003 BMW R1150R - For Sale - PM for details
    2007 BMW 328Xi Coupe - The Cage

Re: Tire Q's (PSI at altitude)

Tire pressures will rise with altitude (as ambient pressure becomes less). I would advise setting pressure before you leave, then recheck your cold tire pressures every morning as you lose altitude (you'll probably see about a 2 psi loss between here and Vegas).

38 Front and 40 Rear should work well as long as you're not super heavily loaded, but for extended high speed (85+, more than an hour at a time) or very high ambient temps, I'd push it to 40 psi front and 42 rear to reduce running temps and extend wear. Tire pressures should always be checked cold, as a warm tire may see a pressure increase of as much as 20%.
    Last edited by TFOGGuys; Mon Mar 14th, 2011 at 11:24 AM.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Swift's Avatar

Re: Tire Q's (PSI at altitude)

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Tire pressures will rise with altitude (as ambient pressure becomes less). I would advise setting pressure before you leave, then recheck your cold tire pressures every morning as you lose altitude (you'll probably see about a 2 psi loss between here and Vegas).

38 Front and 40 Rear should work well as long as you're not super heavily loaded, but for extended high speed (85+, more than an hour at a time) or very high ambient temps, I'd push it to 40 psi front and 42 rear to reduce running temps and extend wear. Tire pressures should always be checked cold, as a warm tire may see a pressure increase of as much as 20%.
    I don't think I'm gonna be carrying much more than maybe 30-40lbs of stuff in the bags. So 38/40 will be ok for the high altitude jump and drop between grand junction and golden? I realize it will drop a few psi as the elevation goes down so I plan to check them often.
    2003 BMW R1150R - For Sale - PM for details
    2007 BMW 328Xi Coupe - The Cage