Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Experienced Rider to Learn From

Wanted: Experienced Rider to Learn From

Looking for experienced rider, to learn from in the canyons. I have little over a year of riding experience overall. Learn best if I ride with good rider whom I can shadow basically.

I should add that I spent the entire summer last year doing canyons with a couple of good riders who are now no longer live here. So I am not completely new to this. Still, I find it easier to push myself farther if I follow by example.
    Last edited by deadline; Fri Jun 3rd, 2011 at 12:58 PM.

Re: Experience Rider

Where are you located? It would probably be best if an experienced rider shadows you. If they follow, they can identify errors ans help you correct them.

+1, definitely have someone follow you, then that person will know of some corrections for you, and also will know a pace that has you at ease up in the twisties while learning.

Miles > Years.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Go to the track if your going to be trying to push it! Less distractions and obsticles and all techniques will transfer to the streets (just slower).

You may think it's expensive but really a trackday will only be little more than what you paid for a MSF course.

If you are looking to just become a better street rider then good luck and stay safe.
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

IMI is $35.

What no Kool-Aid sign? IMPOSTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

PM me if you'd like to ride.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

Here follow me for a bit
    http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=40173
    Honestly though there is some things you can take out of this video, first off, "The Pace" We were riding just above speed limit in the open straights and very stealth through populated areas. Wick it up in the corners and have all the fun the road can offer without taking stupid chances in the boring parts. Ideally you don't want to be on the brakes entering the corners but I see that I am trail braking into some of them, habit I suppose.
    Secondly as you can see a set of Dunlop Q2's can corner adequately, you can trust your tires more than you expect.
    Finally, body position is very important, good position makes the corners a joy to ride, bad positioning makes this difficult and dangerous.

It isn't often you get a good video of yourself, and I learned a couple of things about my technique I need to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    It isn't often you get a good video of yourself, and I learned a couple of things about my technique I need to work on.
    Like leaning off? And I know I'm not one to talk.

Thinking about going to IMI soon now that my leathers fit and I gots Q2s.

Why lean off? I have my weight shifted, at those speeds that is all that is required, leaning off accomplishes two thing in this setting, a lot of extra work and looks like you are trying to go really fast. The second will do nothing more than attract attention to yourself. I save my leaning of for the track where it is physically beneficial.

Wink Re: Experience Rider

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    Where are you located? It would probably be best if an experienced rider shadows you. If they follow, they can identify errors ans help you correct them.

I disagree with this for any sort of training on the street.

I think in the early times of learning it is better to follow a RESPONSIBLE teacher. That way the instructor can set the pace, watch for traffic and other obsitcles.

The student can then focus soley on bike control and watching the proper line of the instructor.

The problem with following the student, is that while you can see someone doing stuff you have no control over their speed, line or what they are actually watching (Traffic). This is why the track/cloased course is so good for teaching RIDING SKILLS, not TRAFFIC skills.

The best way to learn is to master the skill first, then gradually challenge yourself with a LITTLE speed at a time. An instructor in front, on the street, can help to control the pace.

Once a certain level of basic skill is reached, THEN it is appropriate for the instructor to ride behind to enhance the leaning experience by observing what the student is doing.

Ideally, it would be great to have someone in front and behind.
    Cole
    07 R1 .....now KTM 950 ADV!!!
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
    I disagree with this for any sort of training on the street.

I think in the early times of learning it is better to follow a RESPONSIBLE teacher. That way the instructor can set the pace, watch for traffic and other obsitcles.

The student can then focus soley on bike control and watching the proper line of the instructor.

The problem with following the student, is that while you can see someone doing stuff you have no control over their speed, line or what they are actually watching (Traffic). This is why the track/cloased course is so good for teaching RIDING SKILLS, not TRAFFIC skills.

The best way to learn is to master the skill first, then gradually challenge yourself with a LITTLE speed at a time. An instructor in front, on the street, can help to control the pace.

Once a certain level of basic skill is reached, THEN it is appropriate for the instructor to ride behind to enhance the leaning experience by observing what the student is doing.

Ideally, it would be great to have someone in front and behind.
    I don't necessarily disagree, but having an unskilled rider following an experienced rider through a canyon can present issues. What is a normal pace for me may be entirely too fast for someone else. It's great to see someone else's line and technique, but there's so much going on before you take that curve that the inexperienced rider can't see. The inexperienced rider also doesn't understand turn-in or braking points, so following someone who is comfortable braking late or turning sharply adds a lot of stress on someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

I do agree it's best to have one ahead and one behind.

Formal instruction on the street is a bad idea. Riding with more experienced riders on the street to ameliorate (i like that word) your riding isn't such a bad idea, depending on who you're riding with and as long as you're not pushing your limit in order to maintain their pace.

If you're goal is to be better at braking, throttle control, body positioning,etc, then take a course at the track. You will be amazed how much one day of track riding will improve your street riding skills.

Some options for you-

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=12495

http://www.rickyorlando.com/denver-m...anced-classes/

http://www.starmotorcycle.com/2011-high-plains-raceway
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    Miles > Years.
    I would say experience > miles...

you can learn some from riding in a straight line, but not all of it applies to canyon riding...

Quote Originally Posted by VFR View Post
    Go to the track if your going to be trying to push it!

If you are looking to just become a better street rider then good luck and stay safe.
    + 100000000

Alot of folks have been looking for this sort of guidance recently. I was new to the CO scene 2 years ago, I started out by following people that seemed like they knew what they were doing in the canyons, then I did my first trackday. One day with the instructors at Chicane had me feeling more comfortable on my bike than years in the canyons would.

I still don't "push it" at the track, but I can def carry a much faster pace then on the street with less risk. Also, even though you may be a self proclaimed hero in the canyons, you will be humbled on the track...

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    "The Pace" We were riding just above speed limit in the open straights and very stealth through populated areas. Wick it up in the corners and have all the fun the road can offer without taking stupid chances in the boring parts. Ideally you don't want to be on the brakes entering the corners but I see that I am trail braking into some of them, habit I suppose.
    werd...I find myself trail braking too silly racing

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree, but having an unskilled rider following an experienced rider through a canyon can present issues. What is a normal pace for me may be entirely too fast for someone else. It's great to see someone else's line and technique, but there's so much going on before you take that curve that the inexperienced rider can't see. The inexperienced rider also doesn't understand turn-in or braking points, so following someone who is comfortable braking late or turning sharply adds a lot of stress on someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

I do agree it's best to have one ahead and one behind.
    That's why you're not a teacher.
    "Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame" - Benjamin Franklin

SV650

Quote Originally Posted by Finklestein87 View Post
    Care to explain? I've seen a few of your posts and they usually seem to be single-sentence barbs. U trolling or what?

A graduate of the Vellos school of trollin'

Quote Originally Posted by Finklestein87 View Post

say wha

This is awesome! Some of the slowest people around calling out some very good riders? Good 'ole CSC.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    say wha
    Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    This is awesome! Some of the slowest people around calling out some very good riders? Good 'ole CSC.
    Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    That's because everyone thinks they're an expert.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

I took my buddy out this weekend and had been giving him a lot of help in the past couple years. Leading and seeing him in my big stock mirrors gave me a good view. It also allowed me to give him feedback without having to pull over. Some body motions inbetween turns to remind him to turn his head more and loosen his hands/arms can fix things before the next time so he can feel the difference right away.

But I also do agree with following to look for corrections. If someone can handle absorbing a lot of information then switch it up and keep giving him feedback.
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    That's because everyone thinks they're an expert.

I'm an expert on being an expert...on being a novice...