Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No longer a virgin

Re: No longer a virgin

So again, "traffIc laws do not apply to me."
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    I've tried my best to not be inordinately argumentative, but apparently actually reading through the thread is beyond some folks.

It's been said over and over again that it's not a matter of "traffic laws do not apply to me because I'm special since I'm on two wheels and obviously so much more badass than anyone else on the road." Most have even echoed the sentiment that we DO NOT lane-split/share/filter forward specifically it IS against the law here in CO. We'd like to see the law changed, sure, and with good reason and sound logic in regards to safety and traffic congestion relief. But most of us don't do it out of fear of the Man and having money taken away via tickets.

Repeating the cager mentality mantra of "laws shouldn't apply to me 'cuz I'm on a bike" is not only inaccurate, but just belligerent. Laws DO apply to us, but a bike is nothing like a car, and as such there SHOULD be different laws and rules--and some states in this country actually agree. I wish CO was one of 'em, but until then I will continue to adhere (for the most part) to said laws and try my best to not get killed by cager morons that are more interested in texting, talking, putting on makeup than NOT killing me.

CO actually has a special rule in place for bikes. Has to do with waiting a "reasonable" amount of time at a red light and then proceeding safely through without waiting an "unreasonable" amount of time for it to turn green. So what, we're special and laws don't apply to us? No, the law was changed to accommodate us in this regard. Oklahoma goes one better and allows bikes to treat red lights as stop signs so as to protect them against rear-end collisions by cagers. Bikes are NOT the same as cars...so no, they shouldn't be treated the same. It's not elitest, it's friggin' common sense and safety.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

Voted dumbest thread ever!
    2006 Triumph Daytona 675-Track Only For Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Do'Urden View Post

CO actually has a special rule in place for bikes. Has to do with waiting a "reasonable" amount of time at a red light and then proceeding safely through without waiting an "unreasonable" amount of time for it to turn green. So what, we're special and laws don't apply to us? No, the law was changed to accommodate us in this regard. Oklahoma goes one better and allows bikes to treat red lights as stop signs so as to protect them against rear-end collisions by cagers. Bikes are NOT the same as cars...so no, they shouldn't be treated the same. It's not elitest, it's friggin' common sense and safety.
    Is there a set amount of time you should wait, or is that at the rider's perception of what is reasonable?
    06 CBR600RR
    7:319/0319

I come back from a 3 week trip and this thread is still going? wow
    -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by 675Rider View Post
    Voted dumbest thread ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by drago52 View Post
    I come back from a 3 week trip and this thread is still going? wow
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Quote Originally Posted by Racz View Post
    Is there a set amount of time you should wait, or is that at the rider's perception of what is reasonable?
    I've seen nothing that specifies a set amount of time. I believe that if you sit at a light through a full sequence and it doesn't change then you'd have plenty of ground to stand on should a cop question it.

As such, there's a certain light that I encounter every morning and it doesn't see a lot of traffic coming off of 470 in the early a.m. If I'm the only one there when I come up on it then I stop, make sure everything is clear, then proceed. First couple of times I waited for literally about 5 minutes and it never changed (no visible sensors anywhere). Since then I treat it as a stop sign while yielding to all other traffic until it's clear.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    ~Kyle

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

I just read this thread while eating my lunch at work..Thank you for the entertainment BRAVO!!!!! Also does Co have that law? i was actually wondering that myself i know some states do have it where if there are no cars present in the direction you need to turn or cross you may proceed.

Also its not a good idea to post anything you have done illegal on the internet someone can turn you in and you can be prosecuted based off of the fact you willingly posted a statement performing illegal act's which is evidence...just sayin

Weren't some of the same people advocating disobeying the law the same dipshits who said said bicycles shouldn't even be ALLOWED on the roads because they cause a hazard? And now they're saying motos are at risk if they follow the rules of the road? Good god.

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

CO actually has a special rule in place for bikes. Has to do with waiting a "reasonable" amount of time at a red light and then proceeding safely through without waiting an "unreasonable" amount of time for it to turn green. So what, we're special and laws don't apply to us? No, the law was changed to accommodate us in this regard.
    I've seen nothing that specifies a set amount of time. I believe that if you sit at a light through a full sequence and it doesn't change then you'd have plenty of ground to stand on should a cop question it.

As such, there's a certain light that I encounter every morning and it doesn't see a lot of traffic coming off of 470 in the early a.m. If I'm the only one there when I come up on it then I stop, make sure everything is clear, then proceed. First couple of times I waited for literally about 5 minutes and it never changed (no visible sensors anywhere). Since then I treat it as a stop sign while yielding to all other traffic until it's clear.
    You have any resource on any of this "fact"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    You have any resource on any of this "fact"?
    Colorado: 42-4-612, if the light is malfunctioning or stays steady red during "several time cycles" the rules for entering a street or highway from a stop street or highway apply (treat it like a stop sign).

Go HERE and search the statute reference (42-4-612). I trust that this is sufficiently "fact" enough. "Several time cycles" is somewhat vague. I'll continue to operate as I have (ok, so maybe I only wait a "couple of time cycles" instead of "several"...) and should I get stopped for it I will quote said statute and take it to court if I must.
    Last edited by Darth Do'Urden; Tue Jun 21st, 2011 at 09:26 PM.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    ~Kyle

I'll run a red if the thing cycles and doesn't notice me. Normally in Boulder though they have those bicycle sensor spots that work well, but they aren't everywhere.

i was at a light for about 4 min cause i could see a cop on the other side, it wouldn't cycle for me. He finally flashed his lights used his Mic and said go ahead and cross there are no cars coming
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    I'll run a red if the thing cycles and doesn't notice me. Normally in Boulder though they have those bicycle sensor spots that work well, but they aren't everywhere.
    Yeah, if you're at a light that has the metal detectors in the pavement then you can usually just position your bike over the "corner" where two lines intersect, or put your kickstand down onto the stip and get the light to change. Sadly, I haven't come across hardly any intersections on my regular travels that have these sensors in the pavement.

The sensors mounted over the lights are quite unreliable for bikes in my experience.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    ~Kyle

Sadly, I haven't come across hardly any intersections on my regular travels that have these sensors in the pavement.
    Most of them do indeed have sensors in the pavement, it's actually pretty rare to have the top mounts these days IME, but most are buried so that you cannot see them. Which is unfortunate, because you can't just see it and pull on top of it.

Sadly, most people that ride motorcycles still don't even know what the sensors that ARE exposed look like, so they just pull over the white line and sit there all day.
    2011 BMW S1000RR
    Sitting peacefully in storage

2003 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) trackbike (sold), 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold), 2004 Yamaha YZF-R6 trackbike (sold), 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6s (sold), 1999 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (sold), 1998 Honda CBR600F3(TOTALED) 1989 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja(TOTALED)

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    I thought we had been over this.

Yes.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Yea well i just got pulled over about 30 min ago so i figured id ask the cop if said rumors are true and he said NO you cannot go through a red light under any circumstances colorado does not recognize that law he said you can turn right and do a u turn somewhere but you cannot run the light.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Yea well i just got pulled over about 30 min ago so i figured id ask the cop if said rumors are true and he said NO you cannot go through a red light under any circumstances colorado does not recognize that law he said you can turn right and do a u turn somewhere but you cannot run the light.
    Since it's a Colorado law, I would guess that the officer had no idea what he was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    i figured id ask the cop if said rumors are true
    Cops aren't lawyers. It's generally a bad idea to ask them for any type of legal advice. The police are only trained to recognize the most common violations and to apprehend based on probable cause for the courts to sort it out later.
    2011 BMW S1000RR
    Sitting peacefully in storage

2003 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) trackbike (sold), 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold), 2004 Yamaha YZF-R6 trackbike (sold), 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6s (sold), 1999 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (sold), 1998 Honda CBR600F3(TOTALED) 1989 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja(TOTALED)

so moral of the thread is just run the damn light but make sure there aren't any cops around cause they will probably pull you over.

Nope. Moral of the story is ya'll got trolled.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Swift's Avatar
    2003 BMW R1150R - For Sale - PM for details
    2007 BMW 328Xi Coupe - The Cage

Gold Member Yearly Supporter

Ha
    2015 R1200GS
    03 & 11 XR-50 pit bike
    07 & 08 DRZ 400SM
    06 FJR 1300
    70 SL 350