Quote Originally Posted by GixxerCarrie View Post
You of all people have ridden this route 1000 times. Know its ins and outs. How many accidents have you ridden up on? Many. Your thoughts?
My thoughts? I don't think I've ridden it 1000 times but I probably have more miles on it and have gone faster on it than most. And yes I have seen dozens of accidents including a few fatalities like the one less than 2 years ago.
It's a fun scenic road with alot of different features. Is it any more dangerous than riding up deercreek, bearcreek, golden gate, coal creak, boulder canyon,etc? No. Those tight canyons with blind corners and decreasing radius turns are even more dangerous. I have never seen or had issue with oils slick in turns out there, either. Generally the road conditions are better than alot of other roads frequented by motorcyclists. Chip seal? rocks in the road? oil? animals? They are all normal hazards with riding here in Colorado. You should be anticipating these things. The stretch between Buffalo Creek and Deckers does entice a rider to increase their speed as stated prevously. But does that mean the road is more dangerous? I don't believe so.
I don't ride much down there anymore, maybe a few times a season in contrast to a few times a week 10-12 years ago. And when I do I usually go alone now (because Bueller doesnt like that road) What I see more of lately is riders that are pushing their limits and do not have the skills to do so. I don't know the details of this week's incident, but the young lady that passed away in Oct '09 that I came upon was riding way up above her limit as were the other 4 riders that crashed. You're responsible for your own safety and riding within your limits. If you can't handle that, maybe you shouldn't be riding at all. But it's not the road's fault.