Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
And I'll have to add to the second statement that the reverse is true - the track can't compare to the street. Especially in terms of scenery, the extreme diversity of corners and road conditions (sand/gravel, moisture, etc.), "reading" a new road for the right line and where the corners go. In most ways, I'd say the street is far, far more difficult, and certainly less forgiving. Also, that track riding helps give you skills for lines, braking, lean, and such, but the street is so much more complex that the best experience for building your street skills is.....riding the street.....and not at track speeds.
I agree the scenery is beautiful and that's why I still ride the road on occasion. With that said the road (IMO) is not a race track and not a place to be learning "technique", "new lines", "dragging knee", etc. Yes I have done it on occasion myself but have less and less desire to do so anymore. (maybe old age? :-) It's just not safe and that's the bottom line. One wrong move and you could be face to face with oncoming traffic. Too many variables, too deadly. It's all personal choice though. I prefer to sit back and enjoy the ride and scenery at a mellower pace on the road now days.