Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturday

Re: Saturday

Telling people (new riders) to "ride their own ride" doesn't really help when they have no idea what "their own ride" means--they're not familiar enough with their own bike, their own skill, and/or the roads they're riding to know how fast they should/shouldn't be going--so they try to glom onto the ass of the faster riders and stick there regardless of whether they can/should be riding like that...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja2 View Post
    I don't think that works, unless you have someone leading who is an experienced rider and knows the route.
    Keep in mind that riders new to the board are either: 1. new to riding, or 2. new to the area, or 3. both. Rarely do I meet new board members who have ridden for a while and know the routes/area.

What I am trying to say: new members need someone to show them the route at a reasonable speed, ideally showing them the lines. Otherwise, it's the blind leading the blind.
    BornWild taught me a great way of doing this and it is breaking up in groups with at least a leader for each. Possibly also a sweeper. I've been on 3 large group rides this year alone where this was done successfully, incl. a "newb" ride in the South. And I give credit to BornWild.

At that occasion, I do want to thank everyone here who has helped me with that during my last 3 yrs of riding! I know this takes a lot of patience and you do not get to ride your own ride.

i agree to an extent of your point not all people are unfamiliar with the are or non seasoned riders. we had one who was new to the group but was experienced and even said himself I am going to stay in the back.

I myself have not ridden with such a large group from this club untill yesterday I have done rides in castle rock, colorado springs deer creek, turkey creek, and bear creek with just two or three of us. Granted this does not make me an expert in any way shape or form and i have much to learn but ive been riding for 6 years mostly cruisers but occasionally sport bikes. i know my limits and yes I did post " oh my god fast this fast and fast that and new this new that" but that doesn't mean i don't know what I doing. I believe it was zach that pointed out to me that I need to watch my toes in my turnes because they were getting very close. a very helpful observation that i will keep in mind and use.

it's sad to hear two people went down originally swift and i thought the gixser was going to bail from Nederland with us maybe he should have glad nobody was seriously injured though.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    and big guy on the bumble bee...stop dragging your knee on public roads...you are in WAY over your head
    I didn't have knee pucks so if I would have it would have sucked.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    Now that I have to see. Should GoPro it next time
    not really...but not far off...I saw him in my mirror (yes, I had time to look in my mirror mid turn, and smell some roses, and scratch my ass) I'm

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Telling people (new riders) to "ride their own ride" doesn't really help when they have no idea what "their own ride" means--they're not familiar enough with their own bike, their own skill, and/or the roads they're riding to know how fast they should/shouldn't be going--so they try to glom onto the ass of the faster riders and stick there regardless of whether they can/should be riding like that...
    maybe not "ride your own ride", but how about "check your ego at the gas station"...the fastest rides I have been on are with the "old" people on their "old man" bikes, where people ride a smooth an comfortable pace, and you rarely see brake lights, not speed up to 100 on the straights to do 40 in a turn. people are either going to take it slow at first and learn the easy way, or learn the hard way...Darwin always gets his

I do like the idea of breaking rides up into groups, but in the case of the 20-something canyon hero, is he/she really going to want to follow some bike with saddle bags in the slow or medium group, when their 1000cc sportbike can do way more than ~60mph on the straights??? or are thay gonna jump in line with the leather clad power ranger on their sportbike at the front? (no offense Vellos...)

Outlawd Said:

maybe not "ride your own ride", but how about "check your ego at the gas station"...the fastest rides I have been on are with the "old" people on their "old man" bikes(or land yachts), where people ride a smooth an comfortable pace, and you rarely see brake lights(engine braking anyone), not speed up to 100 on the straights to do 40 in a turn. people are either going to take it slow at first and learn the easy way, or learn the hard way...Darwin always gets his

I do like the idea of breaking rides up into groups, but in the case of the 20-something canyon hero, is he/she really going to want to follow some bike with saddle bags in the slow or medium group, when their 1000cc sportbike can do way more than ~60mph on the straights???(Don't forget the wheelies, man) or are thay gonna jump in line with the leather clad power ranger(Canezach) on their sportbike at the front? (no offense Vellos...)[/QUOTE]
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

its alot easier for newer riders to follow at a quick pace than it is to ride on your own at an elevated pace.

I blasted down 7 first to get away from a few literbikes that were parking it in the turns and drag racing down the straights on P2P ( no offense guys, but 95hp and 600 lbs doesn't make a good drag bike for me.) I wasn't going fast, just wanted to get away from traffic.

Zach and Vellos came up on me shortly and I waived them by, not wanting to keep the same pace they were, gixxer guy pulled up a ways later and was too close to me for me to be comfortable, especially for a guy rocking minimal gear. I waived him by, and the next turn he entered he panicked, ran wide, grabbed front brake, hit the sand, tucked the front and met up with the guardrail. or the "gravel got him"

I made a noob mistake myself and fixated on him/flying parts while I was on the brakes instead of looking through the turn, I then tried to look ahead to see where I was gonna put my bike, I got mostly slowed down but ran off and took a dirt nap after hitting a pile of loose gravel. I know better and am pissed because there is no reason this should have happened. I hopped up to make sure nobody was going to round the corner and hit me, then looked over and saw gixxer guy moving, then the group rolled up slowly
    Ahhh shit, sorry to hear it Dave. Hope you and the bike are alright. I've seen 3 people wad it a couple bike lengths in front of me, and it IS really distracting and hypnotic. One guy's bike was flipping end over end as high as a telephone pole at over 80mph, and my buddy Doug in front of me fixated on it. I could see his helmet turn to look as he was starting to miss the apex. Thankfully he realized it and finished the corner. I glanced at it and quickly looked away. This was the second totalled bike in 20mon on my very first CSC ride 8 years ago.

@ Carrie: I'm kind of weird about foot position then, as I slide it back a little, but still keep the peg in the arch of my boot, I just angle my foot a little to bring it more inboard. Works for me. But then, sometimes I like to use a little rear brake in the corners to adjust the bike's position.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post

@ Carrie: I'm kind of weird about foot position then, as I slide it back a little, but still keep the peg in the arch of my boot, I just angle my foot a little to bring it more inboard. Works for me. But then, sometimes I like to use a little rear brake in the corners to adjust the bike's position.
    +1 as was pointed out to me and yesterday I did drag toe a little though so I need to watch it.

Oh man bad luck hope every one is ok
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

luck has got nothing to do with it man...

and BC...for gods sake man...
    insert text here

luck has got nothing to do with it man...

and BC...for gods sake man...
    Bite me, it's hit or miss for me today.... dunno why.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

I won't claim to be fast sportbike rider. I can only claim to be an OLD sportbike rider. But, in the end, isn't that a better achievement anyways?
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    +1 as was pointed out to me and yesterday I did drag toe a little though so I need to watch it.
    Well, I tuck 'em in pretty good now, the only time I dragged toe was at IMI. I can't imagine actually dragging any parts on the bike......

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Well, I tuck 'em in pretty good now, the only time I dragged toe was at IMI. I can't imagine actually dragging any parts on the bike......
    I drug foot on fri in a fast left hand sweeper. I kinda forgot that upshifts aren't easy going left at a decent lean angle..... I'm wearing away my peg feelers nicely though. Eventually I'll stop hitting those damn things... kinda surprising when they hit.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

yea haven't made contact on the bike nor do i want to after my toe touched yesterday I'm gonna be sure to tuck the foot in from now on.

luck has got nothing to do with it man.
    Oi true sorry to read what happen to you,
    Hopefully your bike only needs minor touch ups
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    The curse of Vellos is nothing more than the open invites for anyone to show up. When he gets tired of scraping noobs off the pavement he will start being selective with the invites as almost everyone eventually figures out.
    If you will notice, if it isn't a super long ride, which usually weeds out the beginners, the experienced riders don't throw out open invites.
    I rarely go on any posted rides as it always ends up with someone going down, it happened on the last one I was on a couple of weeks ago. It happened on the one before that.

You're still going on group rides?? My solo 8am jaunt to Woodland Park and back was nice.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

maybe not "ride your own ride", but how about "check your ego at the gas station"...the fastest rides I have been on are with the "old" people on their "old man" bikes, where people ride a smooth an comfortable pace, and you rarely see brake lights, not speed up to 100 on the straights to do 40 in a turn. people are either going to take it slow at first and learn the easy way, or learn the hard way...Darwin always gets his
    I don't mean to be defending new riders, but sometimes it's ego, and sometimes it's fear of being left behind, etc. Mostly it's just stupidity and inexperience.

Back when I first started riding, I used to ride with an ex-1970s racer, guy was the fastest no-brake rider I'd ever seen. He was sooo smooth and so deceptively fast it was unreal. I loved just following and watching him flow through the turns.

I kinda miss those guys, they knew their shit, they knew the roads, they knew their bikes and their limits and there was never any issue riding with any of them...it was just fun...as riding is supposed to be.

As to target-fixation, I did that once, probably 10 years ago now. Guy on an RC51 (brand new) went off and I, for whatever reason, was so fascinated watching his debris and dust cloud that I ended up going off-line and then off-road and low-siding on the soft shoulder. Not much damage to me or my bike, but I was definitely surprised and learned my lesson. Sucks when it catches you out though.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    You're still going on group rides?? My solo 8am jaunt to Woodland Park and back was nice.
    and this is why I'm a "ghost" and ride mostly solo...the only person that can F up my ride is me...and while it can happen, and I can screw up, at least I'm not going to be taken out by someone else in my own group...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

E gads! Maybe I'm better off riding solo all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    E gads! Maybe I'm better off riding solo all the time.
    Yeah, it can be fun, can be boring, and it's good up until the day the truck runs you off the road and no one even knows you're gone until 3 weeks later.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Man oh man just checked the bike out in the garage sad day indeed. No damage to me though so all is well. For the record I do know what im doing on my bike...probly the reason no one was in my rear view and me and vellos where just crusing along. You dont keep up with people by blind luck if you have never done it before. Body positoon, throttle manipultation, engine stopping I know it all..I am no pro not by a long shot but I wouldnt be up there if I didnt know how to do those things. I would have been upright like a giant penis wondering why my bike doesnt turn. Everyone makes mistakes. I took a turn to wide hit the dirt and went splat. It is what it is. Pro's on bikes, cars w/e wreck everyday. Thats how I ride, to the max and if I go down then so be it but its the cost I take to be good at something. I jump out of planes and get shot at for a living so dropping a bike isnt really a big deal as long as no one else gets hurt. As far as gear goes its a personal choice, I can wear a thousand dollar set of leathers and fly of a cliff and be the best rider in the world. Or ride naked and make it unmarked. I simply made the underdressed comment bc it looked like everyone came to a race not a ride. You guys think its young errogance, well im 28 not 21 and have been in way worse situations than that of a canyon ride. As soon as I get my new bike i will be right back out there and right back in the front doing what I do...and If you dont want to ride with me then stay in the back and play it safe. Its not who I am. If I make it all day and go home Im a "good" rider for keeping up with the ppl in front...but bc a simple mistake and a lay down im a "noob" and 20 something hero. Anyway, everyone has there own opinion, not looking to bash anyone here. Id rather die at 190 with my balls out than choke on a grape watching oprah on the couch.
    Live fast die free...Ill be back
    Side note it was one of the best runs ive been on. Beats the shit out of flat georgia roads dodging aligators and mequitos. Thanks for putting it together. Glad other dude is ok.

"Live fast, Die free"
    '08 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Yeah, it can be fun, can be boring, and it's good up until the day the truck runs you off the road and no one even knows you're gone until 3 weeks later.
    Yup, that's the reason I try to plan my route and stick to it. That way I can leave a map link for a few people. Lunch is the worst part of a solo ride.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    Yup, that's the reason I try to plan my route and stick to it. That way I can leave a map link for a few people. Lunch is the worst part of a solo ride.
    Yeah, lunch in bug-covered leathers sitting by yourself isn't a real highlight.

Plus, if there's ever anything super-cool or super-Whatever, there's no one but you to witness it...but...meh, so it goes...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    The wife and I went out and had a great ride, we went so slow we held up lines of cars at times (sweet revenge). But just cruising through the canyons I could easily take at 2-3 times the speed but with our rider to rider comm. we just had a relaxing ride and I was able to talk her through a lot of technique and lines and everything else she had a question about, real time.
    I am making a good riding partner

Group rides can be fun, but way too much shit goes on, I like the 2-4 bike groups at most.