Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you could improve motorcycle safety...

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: If you could improve motorcycle safety...

Ralph,

thanks for taking the effort to go to this and hear the outcome. I'm glad that what we said in there had some impact on the final report and I would be willing to go to Ohio (time dependent of course) to make a presentation there as well.

Not sure if I'll see you before then, but if not see you at R2SL

Scott

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

A lot of impact, Scott. In fact we made a lasting impression...
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

That is some good news today. Thanks again for taking the time to work on this project. Good luck at R2SL

Ralph, et. al.,
    Nearly a month has gone by since the last update on the forum. Has a copy of the report been released for review? If not yet so released when do the forum hosts say the expected release might be? This question was brought up by another party and I felt it reasonable to inquire. Thank you, in advance, for your reply.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Pilot,

To my knowledge a copy has not yet been released. It was a government project, so I'm sure once it is released it will be a very snazzy, hardbound edition suitable for collecting. They were conducting several of these forums in several cities that were having motorcycle accidents on the rise, so the final printed edition may be a compilaton of all of the sessions with sub-sections for the different regions?

We were not given an expected release date. I'll get with Ralph this week and see what (if anything) we can do to assure we get our hands on it first thing once it's available.

Scott

Thanks for the quick reply. Perhaps the Gov will move forward with some speed on this. Not only would that mean getting the report out, it might have the side-effect of saving a life or two.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

In the mean time .................................... check this out:

http://www.implementnams.org/
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

thanks Nick.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Fast Facts
    • Motorcycle fatalities have climbed an alarming 104 percent from 1997 to 2005—the 8th year in a row that motorcycle related deaths have increased.
    • The U.S. Department of Transportation says that in 2005, 4,315 motorcyclists died in crashes, up 7.7 percent from 2004.
    • In Colorado, 87 people were killed in motorcycle crashes in 2005. More than 76 percent of these motorcycle fatalities resulted from crashes with no helmet use.
    • Colorado motorcycle fatalities have nearly doubled during the past decade, increasing from 49 motorcycle crash deaths in 1994 to 87 deaths in 2005. The number of crashes and injuries are also on the rise. In 2004, there were 1,899 motorcycle-related injuries compared to 1,582 in 1994.
    • In 2005 an estimated 78,000 motorcycle riders were injured in accidents nationwide, up 2.6 percent from 76,000 in 2004 and 37 percent from 57,000 in 1995.
    • Motorcyclists are 34 times as likely as passenger car occupants to die in a crash, per vehicle mile traveled.
    Taken from the CSP web site: http://csp.state.co.us/Upload/motorcyclesafety.doc
    Last edited by Nick_Ninja; Wed May 23rd, 2007 at 03:54 PM.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

I'll get the final copy when it comes, probably emailed to me. I recently received a draft but have not had time to review it. There was a *lot* of information discussed, so it will take time for sure.

Scott - I don't think we'll get a "national" report per se, as I think they're being custom-made for each area the conference is held in. Whether they compile them into an encyclopedia of all reports I do not know.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    In the mean time .................................... check this out:

http://www.implementnams.org/
    Jeff, thanks for this excellent source of information! (Admin too!)

It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Board Newbie

One thing I do that helps tremendously; in heavy traffic, keep the RPM's up, just a little, so the engine alerts everyone of your presence. (I have a sportbike and I can cruize on the highway silently, but I find if I keep it in 3rd, everyone knows I'm there. Steve

I know this thread is a little dead, but here is my $.02:

Natural selection.

Its dangerous out there. Be careful. If you are not, you will pay, with medical bills, injury, permanent disfigurement.

I bought my R6 at the age of 21. Now it has 36,000 miles on it and I like to ride "in a spirited fashion" but have thus far been able to avoid destroying it. That is not by chance.

I think Jerry Seinfeld put it best, talking about how stupid, but necessary helmets are. He said, " The only thing stranger than the helmet is of course the helmet law. Which is designed to protect a brain that is functioning so poorly that it's not even trying to protect the cracking of the skull its in,"

That being said, the only accident I have ever been involved in was me sitting at a red light, a RED one, and I was hit from behind by an elderly couple.
    +1 License re-testing beyond certain age
    +1 Tiered License. I know I can keep the wheels on the ground, just let me show you!!
    Nate
    If you think you need 1000cc in the Canyons you just need bigger balls...

Account Deactivated at users request DARK ANGEL's Avatar

make a mandatory awareness class or course for cagers so they understand that they arent the only ones on the road, and yes this would apply for everyone even me, i own a cage....

When I first got to Colorado Springs I bought my first bike, old zx6. I always heard that it is best to start out on a smaller bike and even though I've been riding quads and dirtbikes my whole life I agree. I started on that and during the first summer 2006 there were 18 fatalities w/in 3 months or so just from Ft Carson soldiers. I know that I'm going to get crap for this but....it boiled down to too much bike for too little experience. I know that there is NO way to regulate what kind of bike a person buys for a first bike but MOST of those fatalities were on larger than 600cc bikes and first time riders/buyers! Bikes these days, especially liter bikes have far too much power for a novice rider, hell most intermediate and a little better still don't have the ability to push these bikes to their limits!

Just my $.02, hope the meeting and report fairs well for the riders!
    Procrastination pays off NOW!!!

Reviving an old post.

One of the main ways I'd improve motorcycle safety would be to force ALL drivers (cagers included) to take the MSF course and ride a motorcycle (provided by the state) for at least at 6 months (weather permiting) before being able to get behind the wheel of a car.

May sound a little harsh...but I think one of the main reasons cagers contribute to so many accidents involving motorcycles is b/c many are self absorbed and only look for other cagers like themselves when driving....many also have absolutely no idea what it's like to ride a bike daily in traffic around cars, trucks...etc.

On the other hand, I'm willing to bet that most bikers who also drive cages are much more observant and also just better drivers in general.
    The cheapest mod that you can make to increase HP on two wheels is to remove the weight from the equation. In other words, put the spoon down once in a while and loose some fat off ur a*s ..lol.

Just saw this news....ride safe everyone and RIP. http://www.9news.com/news/local/arti...4781&catid=346

okay, so i'm new, but i have an idea of what may help motorcycle riders...

i just took and passed the most program and was fairly shocked at the ease, even though i took the experienced rider program. Now, I have been riding for about 19 years, so I didn't expect a whole lot of difficulty, but it was really easy.

I would suggest that the course contain some slide maneuvers/recovery, with emphasis on how to right the motorcycle. In the army, when they introduced motorcycles, they had to learn to lay the bike down to dismount and shoot! I am guessing that this helped them with being able to control slides and to control losses of traction in both front and rear wheels.

I would also encourage more focus on situational riding on "the range," with more practical applications of lane control, especially when it comes to planning escape routes for dicey situations, and danger recognition and avoiding being trapped in situations.

I am a writer, if needed. I used to do technical writing in the form of specifications for both architectural and mechanical applications. I am also versed in public speaking and speechwriting if needed, and would be happy to help out in any way possible.

Board Newbie

Ok, I have not read all the replies, but in the ones I read I did not see the #1 cause of near-accidents I have had.

Require hands free operation of cellphones while driving a car and impose a stiff fine if non-compliant. And outlaw texting and driving (and enforce it!).

I commute on a bike on I-70, and every other day there is someone frantically talking on their cellphone, while rapidly changing lanes without signaling -- not to mention checking.

I understand this is not motorbike-specific, but it will make a big difference for us.

Cheers,
    Nikos.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Swift's Avatar

I'd have everyone mount deer whistles to their front ends to keep animals off the road. Either that or have the Aflac duck ride with me everywhere I go.
    2003 BMW R1150R - For Sale - PM for details
    2007 BMW 328Xi Coupe - The Cage

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    Require hands free operation of cellphones while driving a car and impose a stiff fine if non-compliant.
    It's not the use of hands or not. It's the drain on cerebral processing power that causes the problems.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Brizz View Post
    True again..It cost me roughly $23 to get a drivers licence and $150+ every year to do a bike course..(Unless your military, and then its free) But its mandatory.
    +100 I hope I haven't missed the deadline on this. Coming from a military family and moving ALOT, one thing that always upset our family was the lack of standardized education requirments from state to state. Putting this into a motorcycle discussion is an easy transfer. I have noticed on other forum discussions on this that the fee for an MSF type class varies greatly from state to state. Some are as low as $65 and some as high as $600! I agree with the tiered license system similar to european and asian license requirments. I also would like to see more insurance discounts for rider training. Though that is something probably to take up with actual insurance companies. Some sort of an incentive program for new rider training would be nice. And more advertising on the importance of new rider training, and follow ups for more expirienced riders. Most new riders I talk to have no idea about the MSF or any other class for that matter.

I think that if drivers looked over their shoulders instead of barely using there mirrors it would be safer. Also our own personal lane position and awareness helps greatly. However you will never see a rider using their cell phone or eating food or reading a bloody newspaper of all things while riding so just be aware of your surroundings and stay frosty. :P
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Board Newbie

Im a newbie here and sort of a newbie to riding and I haven't taken msf but i use to ride dirtbikes and drive some high hp cars(700+) and don't feel msf is required.Yes it helps im sure but the biggest thing to me was riding with a couple friends that have been riding for 10 years.

I caught on to what they were doing,how they did it,why they did it,and how to be safe.for the record I don't ride crotch rockets.I ride cruisers and I'm quite offended by the statement of alcohol related deaths on motorcycles being blamed on us.Yes people choose to do it,but i've seen plenty of sport bike riders going down the highway at 100+ and pulling wheelies.

Both sides do things equally stupid so lets not put the blame on different groups.also for what its worth i never drink and drive/ride(not even one)