Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changed out the chain and sprockets today...

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Re: Changed out the chain and sprockets today...

Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    Steel front and rear. I didn't see a point in anything else on a street bike. And it did slip when I have it gas, that's why I stopped riding it. Didn't know what it was at first though. And I didn't put the pieces together, bicycle vs motorcycle sprocket. Clearly, I know better now though.
    A hard anodized Aluminum rear can last as long as a steel one, but as I mentioned, it has to be hard anodized (usually black), not just anodized. But, you can't go wrong with steel, my stock sprockets were steel, and they lasted about 25k miles.

Good luck with it.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Trust me we have all been there before. It's something you just gotta learn from. Don't get defensive about who to blame. Shit, one time we found the bolt for my swingarm was loose. This was on my race bike that I check over DAILY. It's going to happen and even though my mechanic caught it before I went out for practice, it is ultimately my responsibility (even though I would have still blamed him )
    Casey D

Lots of dicks on this forum but we,,,, I mean,,,those guys,,, just want to help you too, ya know. When I bought my first bike, I rode it for a while and then was told that I needed a new chain and sprockets. I was so excited to just HAVE a bike, I didn't go through and check things out like I should. It's pretty embarrassing but it's still something I did and learned from. When I went to buy a new chain, the douchebag at the shop said I didn't need a new rear sprocket so I didn't get one,,, even though ALL of my buds told me to. On about mile 14xx of a 15xx trip, the chain came off the rear at about 100mph, due to extreme and VERY FAST stretching. It ate through the engine casing and that was that. I learned that the old rear stretched the shit out of the chain because it wasn’t new and didn’t get the chance to “wear” with the chain. Luckily I'm not dead but I will NEVER make that kind of stupid mistake again. New chain equals 2 new sprockets. I’ll also clean the bike more, like was said earlier, and check while doing it. Like the saying goes,,,, CHECK IT OR WRECK IT!!!

Lessons learned....
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    Trust me we have all been there before.
    Well, maybe I'm the oddball then because I haven't.

But, it's all good advice. We'd rather bust your ballz then have to bury you later.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Well, maybe I'm the oddball then because I haven't.

But, it's all good advice. We'd rather bust your ballz then have to bury you later.
    I'd prefer a ball busting to a burial too.
    Your grammar makes my head hurt.

1994 YZF750R

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    I'd prefer a ball busting to a burial too.

I would put $ down that from this day forward you will give your bike a look-see most times you head out this upcoming riding season due to this thread. I actually like to see forum members sharing, because from these type ball busting comments, people remember it and learn from it, hopefully.
    So for this I thank you, as should the other members who are watching this thread, and maybe going out to the garage and taking a peek @ thier chain and sprockets.
    I also take notice of the newbs motorcycles and riding gear on those first rides of the season. I have been know to show them chains looser than a french whore on Friday nite, bald tires ( in the center only of course), gushing fork seals onto thin front bike pads, missing bolts and fasteners, loose rearsets, shifters,brake levers and pedals, ect ect ect.
    So don't take it personal, we just want every body to enjoy this sport for a long time. A few of us here have been riding sport bikes since they came to be in the mid to late eighties, longer than some riders age riding them today.
    Experiance counts for something, although getting older I seem to be forgetting more than I remember lately.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*