Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loneliest road in America

Re: Loneliest road in America

That is awesome info! Seems like it's going to be a fun adventure for sure. Bugs, heat, and scary creatures just add to the memories.
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Yeah, on my R1 the fuel light came on around 120 miles. I came very close to running out of gas twice the last time I went to the Devil's Spine. The FZ6 won't have a problem but I'll probably bring a small bottle of fuel for anyone else that goes and my siphon.

(Btw, pro tip: A siphon is just a clear peice of plastic tubbing. Buy it by the foot at Lowes for $1)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    I read some posts on the FZ1 board today about range. Apparently, my numbers are about the same as everyone else with a GenII. FZ6 also mentioned as getting much better mileage. Looks like I'm going to need a backup fuel canister of some kind. A couple MSR 1L. cans should get me there. I think...
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

There are some good things about riding an old FZR, and being a flyweight. I've been 283 miles on a tank, and still had 1/4 gal left. That road is on my list.
    Last edited by FZRguy; Fri Jan 20th, 2012 at 05:20 AM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I handle unexpected road hazards well. I handle heat okay. I handle adventure impeccably. I handle an empty tank like a little girl.

Out there, I would too.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Gold Member

Yeah it makes for some good self reflecting time.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    also you will want to avoid softer tires if you plan on riding that run in the summer .
    Good point good point. That route will put a flat spot even on touring tires. Well Good Vibes, it sounds like your going to have a good time. You probably do this already, but soaking the the helmet liner and jacket liners in water helps a ton. Completely drenching them helps so much. Have a good trip. I'm jealous man.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    Good point good point. That route will put a flat spot even on touring tires. Well Good Vibes, it sounds like your going to have a good time. You probably do this already, but soaking the the helmet liner and jacket liners in water helps a ton. Completely drenching them helps so much. Have a good trip. I'm jealous man.

After one spirted run on Hwy 50 between Delta, Ut and the border whorehouse on my then newish RC51, I observed the rear tire to be significantly wearing in the middle of the tire. It was scubbing the rubber just like on a trackday, but in the middle rather than the edges. Both the temps and speeds were well over 100 for the run westward. The run took us right @ 30 minutes if I remember correctly, and was a bit less than 100 miles. My buddy and I were buzzing pretty good from the continual wind and road at those sustained speeds. I dont remember what tires I was running only that they were a sport tire, not a touring tire.
    We both aired up to 40 psi to help not scrub the tire as quickly.
    Needless to say we took it easier for the remainder of the trek.
    Heat + speed will kill a tire pretty quick. I try and do a visual bike check when traveling cross country at every fuel stop. One never knows what will occur. Be safe.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

I'm going to have some PR2's mounted before the trip. Hopefully, they are up to the challenge.

I'm going to have some PR2's mounted before the trip. Hopefully, they are up to the challenge.
    Those will do great.
    I have used a set of those on my IBA ride a couple years ago and they did good.
    I now run the Pirelli Angel ST. These seem to grip a little better in low grip situations than the Michelins, plus a like the Pirelli front tire profile as that is what I have been using for the last 6 years or so.
    Sure the Sport Touring tires don't grip as well as a true Sport tire, but for most persons they wont use the capabilities during normal road type use.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

I'm never leaned over as far as I think I am. For me, it's more about the adventure and sights than it is about pushing my limits.

I read some posts on the FZ1 board today about range. Apparently, my numbers are about the same as everyone else with a GenII. FZ6 also mentioned as getting much better mileage. Looks like I'm going to need a backup fuel canister of some kind. A couple MSR 1L. cans should get me there. I think...
    I've done about 205 mi to a tank at the most on my gen1. haven't really pushed it either

What Bash said.

I ran Q2s all summer and switched to PR2s in October and I love them.

90% of the performance (in my experience) and they last oh so much longer. With Q2s I was lucky to see 3000 out of a rear and 4500 on a front.

By comparison I've got 3000 miles on my PR2s and they still look nearly new. 70-80% tread life remaining. Once I got used to them, I ride them every bit as hard as I did the Q2s.

Keep in mind the pegs on the FZ bikes do not allow for a extreme lean angel anyways. I've grinded down my pegs to the point of replacement and I still have close to an inch more lean angel on the tire.

For a FZ6 / FZ1 the PR2s they're phenomenal tires.

"If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Whats the mileage round trip? Somewhere around 4k? maybe 4500 if exploring a little bit...maybe Alices Restaurant?

http://www.alicesrestaurant.com/

The road up to the restaurant is Amazing. TONS of bikes from all different genres and past times. Definetely worth the short ride there.

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    Whats the mileage round trip? Somewhere around 4k? maybe 4500 if exploring a little bit...maybe Alices Restaurant?

http://www.alicesrestaurant.com/

The road up to the restaurant is Amazing. TONS of bikes from all different genres and past times. Definetely worth the short ride there.
    I think one way is right @ 1200 miles from C Springs to Laguna Seca.
    We always take a day and hit the roads in and around Alices when we do the Laguna thing. There is some State Park there with the huge Redwood Tree's. Anything north of Santa Cruz to San Francisco is worth riding. Tight roads, zero gravel as it never snows, epic stuff for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    We always take a day and hit the roads in and around Alices when we do the Laguna thing. There is some State Park there with the huge Redwood Tree's. Anything north of Santa Cruz to San Francisco is worth riding. Tight roads, zero gravel as it never snows, epic stuff for sure.
    Yep...I was off a little bit

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

That's funny. I lived on Hwy-9 in Ben Lomond for about 7 years. Never had a motorcycle that whole time. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    Big Basin, Henry Cowell, Fall Creek, Portola Redwoods, Castle Rock, Forest of Nisene Marks... All amazing parks in that area.

Henry Cowell has the biggest trees but Big Basin is probably the one you're thinking of. It's the oldest state park in Cali.
    Last edited by CaptGoodvibes; Thu Feb 16th, 2012 at 06:19 PM.