Thread: Keys

Keys

so i recently bought my latest motorcycle used from a dealership that i am ashamed to mention. they only gave me one key and i gave them shit for it, but they assured me they didn't have the other key. So only have one key that i misplaced last night and was $hitting bricks this morning. But now i have found my key. I didnt get a Duplicate made right away because i was thinking of just having the whole thing rekeyed.

So that is my question, should i have my bike rekeyed so i am the only one with keys for it. or just get dups made of the key i have and hope the guy who first owned it doesn't see it somewhere and try his luck?
    "On my steel horse I ride"
    2013 CBR1000RR, 20769 Miles

Re: Keys

thought we had a key guy post up here early in the year said he could make keys or rekey for a better price for us

and really that would be up to you
    me personally if im going to keep the bike more then a year id rekey it
    plus are you doing full insurance if you are not i would do the rekey so if something does happen your not on the short end
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I only got 1 key with mine, but I ordered a Euro Yamaha key and had it cut at a place off Broadway. I don't see what the big deal is, unless you think the place you bought it from is shady. In that case, why buy from them in the first place?
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by CBR-Cowboy View Post
    so i recently bought my latest motorcycle used from a dealership that i am ashamed to mention.
    Why bad? Any place I should avoid? You can PM me, if private.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    I only got 1 key with mine, but I ordered a Euro Yamaha key and had it cut at a place off Broadway. I don't see what the big deal is, unless you think the place you bought it from is shady. In that case, why buy from them in the first place?
    I <3 the Yamaha Euro key soooo much. I ordered 2 for my R6 back in the day.

Key's are cheap. You can get a blank key from the dealer for under 10 bucks and have it cut locally for 5 bucks. NBD.

locks only keep honest people out.

If someone wants your bike, the dam key isn't going to stop them. And while there is a lot of scum out there, the chances that the guy who traded in the bike is a thief and stalking you looking to steal his old bike = slim to none. And again, the key wouldn't stop him.

Besides all that; some of these bikes are local trades and some come from auctions a long ways away. So it's no guarantee the previous owner is your neighbor either.

Just get another key made and don't sweat it.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

most of the bikes I've ever bought end up coming with only one key. Then I get a second key made and flip them with two keys.

So I guess the buyer thinks he's the only one with a key to his bike because he received two when he bought it?

This thread reminds me that I need to go get another key for my DR650
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Thanks for the info, i just went and had 3 generic keys made for $4 each. I do plan on keeping it for 5ish years. I bought it from Steele's, customer servers is not found there... I got a good deal, but they just treat you like they are the only place in the universe you can buy bikes from, and if i wasn't target fixated on this bike i would of walked.
    "On my steel horse I ride"
    2013 CBR1000RR, 20769 Miles

LOL!! Another - awe, never mind...

1999 DR650SE