Thread: D bags on the prowl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: D bags on the prowl

I advocate concealed carry of firearms. If you ever meet me, I guarantee I have a gun on me. I always carry, everywhere. But I am in a different position than most all of you. I have more training, likely more experience, and I absolutely do not want to kill someone. The last sentence there is critical if you are going to conceal a gun. You have to not want to use it, and not want people to know you have it. Several posts advocate lying about facts to justify you killing someone. This disgusts me. If you ever take someone's life, you will have to say what happened probably 150 times over, on camera most of the time. And you will have to describe the entire incident in thorough detail, second by second. If you formulate a lie to cover yourself because you wanted to plug a thug, you will slip eventually, some details will change, and you'll end up in a very sticky situation.

When you kill someone, you are the offender of a homicide. Period. You will never get away from the fact that you committed a homicide. Your only hope is that the facts surrounding the case are enough to justify your homicide, protecting you from liability.

Fact of the matter is, you are expected to have more restraint than anyone else, including a Police Officer, when you are carrying a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Damn, CherryHills is a real nice area. Should've tackled him and held him until the cops came! Then tell the officer that you're pretty sure he was vandalizing your bike, hence you thought a crime WAS committed already, even if he didn't steal it.

I'm not a lawyer though, so don't know the legality of this. Anyone know?...
    In this case, there's not a cop in America who would charge you for tackling and holding him until the cops came, even without you lying about him vandalizing your bike. But, he did not do enough to warrant a criminal charge unfortunately. So you'd both be let go. But this is a benefit as he might learn a lesson, and if he's got warrants he'll still be taking a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    Carrying a gun isnt the solution. I believe it is against the law to protect personal property with lethal force
    Absolutely it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Sure but it sure makes protecting what is yours easier... As in: now I can tell them to fuck off and if they dont like it they can make a mess out of the situation followed by the mess I make out of the situation.

If I saw someone trying to steal my bike and told them to leave and they started walking towards me (while this would be argued publicly) I would probably draw, tell them to stop. If they didnt stop they would probably not be happy with what happened next.

Correct me if I am wrong someone, but I believe I would be within my rights? Yes/no?
    This post bothers me. I'm all for Concealed Carry, and I'm all for using some physical force to restrain somebody until the Police come. But you're advocating drawing your weapon, when this situation cannot even transform to one where you could legally use it. This is a problem we encounter with carriers all too often, they get into a relatively minor situation, and they escalate it to a deadly one rapidly without cause.

Let's start with this. You should not draw your weapon, or give any indication that you have a weapon, unless you have to use it. Remember, you are expected to retreat first. You should never draw your weapon as a threat. However once you draw your weapon, you need to pause and threaten, and then re-evaluate the situation prior to firing shots.

Quote Originally Posted by thankgod View Post
    Yeah you can't just shoot someone cause they are looking at your bike, your life must be put in imminant danger. You can't shoot em in the back either. And you can't brandish a weapon (ie picking up your shirt and showing them you pack heat) If they came at you in the Toyota and tried to hit you then yes, light them the fuck up,If you have your weapon, same thing at home, if someone breaks into your place I'm pretty sure that if you have it posted on your house somewhere, "make my day" law, you can defend yourself with lethal force if your life is in danger, or you feel it's in danger. It's crazy, Can anyone confirm on some gun laws here in Colorado?
    More or less accurate, until the residence part. The "Make my Day" law simply states that if someone forcefully enters your residence, you may use deadly force. That's it. You need not warn them, post it, or even be threatened. Just the act of them entering your residence unlawfully has been established as a threat to your life, and citizens should not be expected to retreat from their residence.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser72 View Post
    You dont need to post anything on your house the way the law is written is if some one commits two crimes in your house ie breaking in or unlawfull entry and then steals something or will not leave when asked to. If you ever have to use this law be sure to say that you saw them going through your stuff or they made threats at you, them just walking into your house is not enough.
    Does not even need to have the crimes part, so long as they enter unlawfully. But if you front door is wide open, and you kill the first guy to walk in, you will probably be going to jail. Although the law states entering unlawfully, you should probably restrain unless they force entry. Best solution? Don't ever leave your doors unlocked.

Re: D bags on the prowl

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    This post bothers me. I'm all for Concealed Carry, and I'm all for using some physical force to restrain somebody until the Police come. But you're advocating drawing your weapon, when this situation cannot even transform to one where you could legally use it. This is a problem we encounter with carriers all too often, they get into a relatively minor situation, and they escalate it to a deadly one rapidly without cause.
    I understand how it could bother you but what bothers me is that if someone is trying to steal something that is mine, you are saying, I need to retreat? No way. I have to be well within my rights to tell them to stop and if they approach me I feel I should have the right to draw my gun. And trust me in a situation like this I would be fully prepared to use it.

Im not sure how minor of a situation I consider it to be when I catch someone trying to steal something of mine and am in no way trying to "transform" the situation. What I am doing is protecting what is mine.

I will say it like this. If I didnt have a gun on me when I caught someone stealing something of mine, I may not say something. Why, well because I have no means of protecting myself if the thief has a gun. Now if I have a gun I know that I could protect myself if things took a turn. If the thief is breaking the law and you tell them to stop, if they dont retreat and they approach me, they are essentially threatening me. If they dont listen to my commands to stop (approaching me), I now fear for my life and would make them stop.

This is how a cop would deal with the situation, and not to be a smart ass, but why wouldnt I be able to protect myself the same way you would?
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook