Thread: Grey market bikes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Grey market bikes

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Anyone here have experience registering / licensing a grey market bike for the road here in CO?

The bike in question seems to have been a JDM import never sold here, but has a clean title (out of state).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumet5uNo View Post
    If its been titled out of state it's easy just take it to state patrol for vin verification after that just take it to county to file for Colorado title worst case the will make u file for change of vin, (that should already be done having a state title)
    Quote Originally Posted by SloBlue View Post
    I'm not sure the exact definition of "Grey Market" but I've always wanted to go up to British Columbia. There I would buy a Varadero, a Honda adventure twin not sold in the US. I'd ride to Alaska and then home. I've been wondering about registering the Varadero when I get back but I haven't checked on it yet.
    Going to Canada and buying a 2012 Honda XL700V Transalp won't get it into this country unless it's on the list of approved imports.

All the various details are here:
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/impo...ges/page3.html

3. Requirements to lawfully import motorcycles or motor-driven cycles for on-road use.

If a motorcycle or motor driven cycle is capable of a top speed above 20 miles per hour and is equipped with components (such as lights, mirrors, and turn signals) that are needed for on-road use, NHTSA will regard it as having been primarily manufactured for such purposes. Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles with these capabilities and equipment cannot be lawfully imported into the U.S. unless they were originally manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS and bear a label certifying such compliance that is permanently affixed by the original manufacturer. The label must be affixed to a permanent member of the vehicle, as close as is practicable to the intersection of the steering post and the handle bars, so that its contents can be easily read without moving any part of the vehicle except for the steering mechanism. In addition, the vehicle’s manufacturer is required to submit to NHTSA identifying information on itself and the products it manufactures to the FMVSS (as required by 49 CFR Part 566), provide NHTSA with information the agency would need to decipher the VIN the manufacturer is required (under 49 CFR Part 565) to assign to each motor vehicle manufactured for sale in the U.S., and designate a U.S. resident as its agent for service of process (as required under 49 CFR 551.45).
    An older bike is much easier to import, and one that someone has already gone through the hassle of getting titled somewhere in the USA is usually good to go in CO after a VIN verification.
    Last edited by Ghost; Wed Jul 18th, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson