Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me about C. Springs

Re: Tell me about C. Springs

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Neighbors front yard.
    That is awesome! Since I don't garden I wouldn't mind wildlife in my yard. Reminds of when I lived in Boulder, deer and racoons everywhere. The only thing that sucked are skunks getting into tussles with the coyotes or dogs/cats, ugh toxic stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    As I said, there isn't a lot of choice on where to live. He can get stationed in D.C. (which they've already lived there) or in the Springs.
    Yeah eff DC. You have to be a millionaire if you don't wanna live in a shitty neighborhood, or a tiny bungalow. They'll be happy in the Springs.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite675 View Post
    And a ton that are much worse then the Springs. Closer (by mileage) to I70 resorts but unfortunatly you have to deal with the 3+ hour traffic jams to get to and from the them and you have no real alternative to avoid them. I can drive the back way from CS to Breck and get there quicker then you can come down I70 on most weekends.

3+ hour traffic jams?? Where? If you are referring to the rush hour i25 stuff you need to learn how to drive in denver better. The only time it has ever taken me that long to get back from denver was one night when all south bound roads closed due to a storm and i took a very zig course to get out of denver and around the road blocks. There is a reason the denver area is 2+ mill people and the springs is still considered small.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    3+ hour traffic jams?? Where? If you are referring to the rush hour i25 stuff you need to learn how to drive in denver better. .

Just about every Sunday afternoon from summit county back to Denver.

You seem very angry. Hope you get that sorted out.

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite675 View Post
    Just about every Sunday afternoon from summit county back to Denver.

You seem very angry. Hope you get that sorted out.

I've been held up in traffic on I-70 and I know it's taken me an hour to make it from Silverthorne to the tunnel. It's only like two or three miles, but it took me an hour. After getting through Eisenhower Tunnel, we drove at 40-50 MPH the whole way back to 470. There's nothing you can do to "drive better" when it's bumper to bumper from Frisco to Golden.

I grew up in the springs in Briargate from ages 12 to 30, district 20 schools. It was an ok place to grow up because I didn't really know any better. But after moving to Denver in '03, a short stint in Norcal, 5 years in Vegas nad back to Denver I can say that I'll never go back and live there. The place has really nothing of interest to me...but that's me.

Since he's a family man with wife and kids, military I'm sure they'll fit right in. Tell him to look over in the Peregrine and Rockrimmon Neighborhood areas, it's a nice and pretty area on the west side, easy-ish drive to NORAD.
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Since he's a family man with wife and kids, military I'm sure they'll fit right in. Tell him to look over in the Peregrine and Rockrimmon Neighborhood areas, it's a nice and pretty area on the west side, easy-ish drive to NORAD.
    ^That seems to be key. I have a family with 3 small kids and I think CS is a great place to live. I moved here a little over 3 years ago and would never go back to Florida. I lived in a great town, had a place 1 block from the ocean etc. but CS has a lot more to offer. Lots to do outdoors, good schools, lots of options here.
    Doesn't sound like it is too popular with the younger, bar, clubbing crowd but that's not what most families do so I am sure he will be just fine.
    definiatly suggest the north end of town, D20 schools.

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Ah COnservative Springs -- hotbed of conservative misguidance and backward thought. If I were them I'd ask myself "Why relocate there?".
    Really? I mean... really? So much for being a Liberal with that much intolerance.

Some of you guys are pretty negative. Most of you have nothing valuable to compare CO, you've never lived outside of the state. Out of 15 or so states, this is one of the nicest all around. There are always things you won't like, but it can ALWAYS be worse.
    Last edited by TransNone13; Tue Aug 7th, 2012 at 05:35 PM.

Senior Member Moderator

Another area to look into would be Black Forest. Lots of nice houses up there and it's not too far from the Academy and I-25.

I moved here from northern VA and the DC area. They ate making the right choice to move here and not DC. As far as real estate, it depends on where he is going to work at which base. Nice communities around each one. No point in making a long commute over 15 minutes here. When he needs help with a realtor, let me know. I can find him what he wants.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    Really? I mean... really? So much for being a Liberal with that much intolerance.

Some of you guys are pretty negative. Most of you have nothing valuable to compare CO, you've never lived outside of the state. Out of 15 or so states, this is one of the nicest all around. There are always things you won't like, but it can ALWAYS be worse.
    You know whats funny? I come from the state thats ranked something like 3 years straight as the most violent crime filled state and i would gladly put it up against co any day of the week.

Yes im angry with this place. Im angry at the mindset. I have no respect for so called locals. I know that not evry single person who grew up here is a whining little bitch but the majority says otherwise. Im not the only person who noticed it either.

This state and its court systems is another hate of mine. You get a one month grace period for vehicle registration but miss your court date for a simple traffic infraction and you have a warrant. Fucking retarded. Dint even get me started on the rampart shooting range. Thats still a giant face palm.

Sure you can do tons of stuff in the mountains but its to....... how do i say it.... civilized? All the dirt roads are labeled like a ski resort. The whole point of going down a dirt road is that adventure of not knowing whats ahead. Im sure there is tons of places that dont have this but im not a big fan of having to drive hours to go play in the dirt.

No that saying it could be worse? Yeah i found it in the name of the springs. Fuck this pussified hell hole.

Now how about the construction in this place? How many years did it take to build the bridges at academy and woodman? How about i25 and bijou? How lng did i25 last when they were done? Less than a month when all of a sudden it sank and cracked? Now we have these dips right as you go into those awsome s turns. Nice building of roads cs.

Home construction? That shits a fucking joke. The cheapest materials with the cheapest labor under some very loose codes is spelling disaster if there is ever a decent sized earthquake.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    You know whats funny? I come from the state thats ranked something like 3 years straight as the most violent crime filled state and i would gladly put it up against co any day of the week.

Yes im angry with this place. Im angry at the mindset. I have no respect for so called locals. I know that not evry single person who grew up here is a whining little bitch but the majority says otherwise. Im not the only person who noticed it either.

This state and its court systems is another hate of mine. You get a one month grace period for vehicle registration but miss your court date for a simple traffic infraction and you have a warrant. Fucking retarded. Dint even get me started on the rampart shooting range. Thats still a giant face palm.

Sure you can do tons of stuff in the mountains but its to....... how do i say it.... civilized? All the dirt roads are labeled like a ski resort. The whole point of going down a dirt road is that adventure of not knowing whats ahead. Im sure there is tons of places that dont have this but im not a big fan of having to drive hours to go play in the dirt.

No that saying it could be worse? Yeah i found it in the name of the springs. Fuck this pussified hell hole.

Now how about the construction in this place? How many years did it take to build the bridges at academy and woodman? How about i25 and bijou? How lng did i25 last when they were done? Less than a month when all of a sudden it sank and cracked? Now we have these dips right as you go into those awsome s turns. Nice building of roads cs.

Home construction? That shits a fucking joke. The cheapest materials with the cheapest labor under some very loose codes is spelling disaster if there is ever a decent sized earthquake.
    I agree with a lot of that, but hating on it isn't going to make it any better. I have no choice and I spend more time at work than I do at home and getting out there. Maybe I should caveat my stance in regards to cities located with or near military bases. Wonder if you're referring to Michigan.
    Last edited by TransNone13; Tue Aug 7th, 2012 at 07:26 PM.

Gold Member

I agree with a lot of that, but hating on it isn't going to make it any better. I have no choice and I spend more time at work than I do at home and getting out there. Maybe I should caveat my stance in regards to cities located with or near military bases. Wonder if you're referring to Michigan.
    Yeah my hate for this place is overwhelming. No i grew up in nevada. Most of my family is from the detroit are. Got to see alot that Michigan has to offer. Its pkay because im less then a week away feom getting out of here. I was spoiled with having tahoe so close. Having the Sierras and the desert at the palm of my hand. Being able ride a dirt bike out of my garage to go play. Hell i lived like three miles from the bottom of highway 50 that is nothing but twisties all the way up to tahoe. Man the ride around tahoe is just amazing. Its why i took up riding wheelies here. Sure there is some great roads to ride but i have to much a d d. Lol.

But with all my hate asde there is some stuff i like here. The sunrises when i first moved here were so amazing. Then this time of year all the thunderstorms. I love huge down pours. The hail can kiss my ass. Lol.

Sometimes when the clouds are just right it looks like the springs is in a fish bowl. That has always amazed me.

Other things that bother me. Lack of water. Not sure why i expected there would be more lakes around here when i first moved but that was a big shock. I know there is lakes here but the only one that has ever looked like fun is up by breckenridge. It also amazed me how many people have boats here. Im like umm okay where do you take that.. answer is always pueblo. Lol

Nope i learnes long ago that it could always be worse. I made it worse by moving here. I was spoiled with what i had and have to move here to truly appreciate what i had there.

Back on topic. Good luck to your family and their move. I truly hope their time here will be better than mine was.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Where the fuck do you get off by labeling me a 'Liberal'. You don't even know who the fuck I am.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Where the fuck do you get off by labeling me a 'Liberal'. You don't even know who the fuck I am.
    Pretty sure you are the guy with a shot gun on a rocking chair on your porch waiting for kids to step foot on your grass.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Pretty sure you are the guy with a shot gun on a rocking chair on your porch waiting for kids to step foot on your grass.
    Make my day 'Local Jerk'.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Out of 15 or so states, this is one of the nicest all around. There are always things you won't like, but it can ALWAYS be worse.
    Yep it is! I'm a native, and if I wasn't in love with water and the Ocean specifically, I'd stay. If there was an ocean within 100 miles, I'd set down permanent roots here in Denver or Boulder and never move! Even when I do move to a coastal state, I probably end up right back here eventually.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Make my day 'Local Jerk'.
    I believe I already have 'bitter old man'.

F'ing dirty south. Can't even get on the 2nd page of posts without a couple of people bitching over petty shit.

For all of the people that gave legit answers, thanks. I'll pass the info on to my sister and her family. Uncle Sam didn't give them the orders in writing yet, so who knows. But this is definitely a good starting place. I appreciate the help.

sounds like Jets training camp in here
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Feel better? I use expletives too when my prowess of the English language falls short.

I could say the same for this verbal diarrhea.

[...] hotbed of conservative misguidance and backward thought.
    Last edited by TransNone13; Wed Aug 8th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.

Hi Sean,

I have lived in the Springs since 2006. I am military and before coming here I was in Florida (Tampa), North Dakota (Minot), Guam, New Mexico (Clovis). The Springs is a great place for a military family. Almost every restaurant I have went to has military discounts and my family and I have had our meals paid for by customers more times than I can count. District 20 is the high rated district and there are multiple family home areas ranging from low (falcon/Fountain) to high (Briargate/Flying Horse). The Black list (places military can't go) is not very large but it's mostly due to Fort Carson or the Air Force Academy Cadets.

I have 2 girls and my youngest being 8. I live in the Powers Area in cookie cutter homes, and now is the time to buy in this area. A house just like mine is for sale for 179K where I paid 250K back in 06. Great thing about the Springs East and North is I can let my daughter play outside or at a park with no worries. We have a great neighborhood where we all keep an eye on each others little ones. Family things are Itz, Brunswicks, IMAX, Zoo, and Deckers has a military summer camp it host every summer for free to military kids (1 week, my daughter just came back loved it) Golden Corral hosted it. Night life is best spent in Denver. Great thing about the Springs is your not in Pueblo (hot) and not in Denver (big city-ish life). Airport is about an hour .5 drive and we have our own with one way flights to Vegas, cheap. Good motorcycle roads once you get towards 24 or through 115. I plan on retiring here because I like how it slows down when the snow falls. It does not get as cold as Denver but can get quite windy.

I visited D.C during the Presidential Inauguration and for a family Colorado Springs is nice, for a military family it is great. Only people I have know to not like the Springs are single people or those who have been here so long they don't know what else is out there. Most military (Air Force) couples i know do everything they can to stay here. My boss has been here since 2001 and when he got orders he pushed the retirement button he loves it so much. My wife is a nurse and constantly has families trying to get waivers in order not to leave. Co. Springs is a community and a huge military community.
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)