Thread: A Proposal for New/Newish Riders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: A Proposal for New/Newish Riders

This is a great idea, I would be willing to donate some funds and time to anyone new/newish/ whatever, to help them improve their skills. It's a win/win for anyone to participate in something like this.

Idea1, I remember back in the day, we used to setup a noob ride at the begining of the season. What if we see what kind of interest there is, and continue these rides throughout the spring/summer.

Idea2, To help fund, we could do a a type of benefit ride, and open it up to other clubs/ organizations ?
    2011 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by DiddysR6 View Post
    I remember back in the day, we used to setup a noob ride at the begining of the season. What if we see what kind of interest there is, and continue these rides throughout the spring/summer.
    Good idea, but just getting a bunch of inexperienced riders together for a ride is only half an effort. Noob ride where you pair up experienced riders with inexperienced riders who are willing to tactfully share there experiences and hold the ride at a learning pace is a more effective way to safely increase technique and safety of those inexperienced riders. Control riders on the street if you will.
    Otherwise you just have a parade of noobs learning bad habits from other noobs.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Good idea, but just getting a bunch of inexperienced riders together for a ride is only half an effort. Noob ride where you pair up experienced riders with inexperienced riders who are willing to tactfully share there experiences and hold the ride at a learning pace is a more effective way to safely increase technique and safety of those inexperienced riders. Control riders on the street if you will.
    Otherwise you just have a parade of noobs learning bad habits from other noobs.

I was thinking more along the lines of a structured Noob ride, almost like a Noob ride class. where the same veteran riders work with the same bunch of noobs for a few weeks/ months until said bunch of noobs are comfortable
    2011 GSXR 750

So, I'm just getting back into reading/following new posts on this forum, but have been pretty active over on others for a few years now. I've been doing a lot of bike-swapping lately as I find new bikes I'd like to try. Last year was a KTM 990 Adventure and my riding was primarily geared towards longer, mixed terrain, multi-day, mixed camping moteling.

I've taken a few safety and technique courses... last year's was a MSF with United Dirt Bike School (ABATE-certified) and a 2 day intensive trail-braking course at Danny Walker's American Supercamp.

While I don't consider myself a noob, I know I have gaps I'd like to fill... especially in my canyon carving techniques. So, I'd love to do something like this... sounds like I could learn a lot and meet some of you experienced riders and site contributors... would be a blast!
    Last edited by Narsisco Lopez; Tue Mar 5th, 2013 at 07:38 AM.

That’s a great idea, thank you dirk. I start riding 5 years ago but I consider myself a noob. I would love to have a mentor for street and track riding, I’m always interested in learning from the right people.

I went to IMI several times and someone form this club was there once (I think it was dirk but I’m not sure) and gave me great tips that improved my riding.

I like Scer idea on tire seminar. I hope we will have a suspension seminar that will cover how to setup the sag and the different suspension adjustments and how they affect the bike.
    '03 YZF600R

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

New riders, this is for you. Two spots are still open. The pace will be slow and tailored to your needs, with lots of one-on-one feedback.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

What time would this go until?

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Based on the PM's I'm getting, it's clear that there is a lot of interest from people who have been riding a bit longer but want to work on things. I will address this demand with mentoring sessions in the near future that target such riders (and keep an eye out for such sessions from asp_125 and Cornfed as they have both done them with very positive reviews). The ride on Sunday is for new(ish) riders that want to work on fundamentals slowly and methodically in a real world environment.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    What time would this go until?
    I'm thinking we'll start at 10-11 am with an hour or so of going over things and then ride for 2-3 hours or more if people want it. This is very relaxed and informal. You can peel off whenever you need to.

--Thomas Jefferson

Bump. Two slots still open.

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Bump. Two slots still open.
    Good on you Dirkterrell. I'm thrilled to see this continuing. Especially because the focus has remained on new riders. Noobs, this is your chance for patient, constructive, one on one instructing. Summers here, better get it while you can.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.