Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My winter project thread

Re: My winter project thread

Headlight coming along. My partner in crime is starting the day shift at the machine shop so more progress will be made quite soon.

Made some progress today. Got the swinger fitted finally, using the original pivot bolt, and a modified version of the 750f pivot bushing. Now it's time to get the wheels done so I can get them on for setting up the suspension. FYI removing powdercoating is 10x harder than removing wheel coating. Stupid finicky oven.

Also picked up a set of Superhawk mufflers in great condition to use for my new exhaust and some zx7 rearsets are on the way.

After 6 damn hours of media blasting on the rear wheel the set is finally done. Now to get the tires mounted tomorrow and on to mocking up the shock mounts.

Did you glass bead blast or sand?

Glass for the initial blast, then for the second I had to use a pretty heavy grit media (not sure which one) to remove the bad powder, which is why it took so long. Stuff it really darn durable.

Blasting powder coat is a bitch, if the rims were aluminum you could have taken a torch to em, just watch how close you get and how hot they get. Breaks the powder down once you get past it's curing temp which is usually 400 degrees.

Is watching the temperature to make sure the aluminum doesn't get damaged? The oven I use can easily get up to 480 and can fit the entire bike so this may be helpful to know for future quality checks that cause me to strip the part down again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannymack View Post
    Is watching the temperature to make sure the aluminum doesn't get damaged? The oven I use can easily get up to 480 and can fit the entire bike so this may be helpful to know for future quality checks that cause me to strip the part down again.
    Yea you don't want to get too hot cause the aluminum will warp and then you'll have a bad time, it usually starts to bend at 700 degrees and above so stay the hell away from that and you will be ok. Be careful also if you have cast aluminum just blast away it has a lower temperature rating than aluminum and will crumble when it gets too hot.

Getting ready to weld in the rear shock mounts. Just waiting on fork seals and some progressive springs that will be here this week, then the welding begins.

Got some progress on the shock mounting today

Put some hours into the bike today. Got both of the front wheel spacers done, rebuilt the forks with new seals and springs and got it ready to mock up the height for my rear shock mount.

Progress as of today. Upper shock mounts are welded in, just need some gussets now. Dogbone mounts are welded as well, but I forgot to take a measurement into consideration so those are going to be cut off and redone. Also I got these pictures today of my near completion headlights.

Finished the suspension today and got the first look of everything together.

More progress today.

Front calipers are now mounted, just waiting on new pads. Also got rearsets bolted on. The brake side bracket isn't the prettiest, but it works for now until I want to mill it down for looks.

Member Yearly Supporter rifleshooter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Nice work, though it kind of reminds me of:

Progress as of tonight:

Got the new header and bolted it up, Just a little modification and I will probably weld the whole system together into one piece since it will get modified again next winter. Finished the front axle. The axle is long, but will somewhat act as sliders which I hope never needs to happen. New day I expect to finish is Wednesday.

Heavily Modified 82 Honda CB750F

Planning on retrofitting your headlights, let me know and I can cut CSC members a deal.

I also have access to milling/lathe machinery. If you need something modified or made for cheap (spacers, shock mounts, etc) send me a pm.

Carbs are in and bike fires up nicely. The airbox/carb area is ridiculously tight now due to the new shock mount, but I got it to work. Just a short list of work to do:

Finish new Electrical mounting plate
    Rebuild front calipers
    Install new rear sprocket and chain
    Finish spacers for rear motor mount
    Install new tach cable
    Finish battery box
    Make muffler mount and weld pipe expansion on
    I think that is all...

Planning on retrofitting your headlights, let me know and I can cut CSC members a deal.

I also have access to milling/lathe machinery. If you need something modified or made for cheap (spacers, shock mounts, etc) send me a pm.

Looking good. I had a 1981 CB750F, same color. A bit porky but real strong motor. Why are the fork tubes/rear rim dark green but the front rim is black?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

The difference is for a few reasons. At the shop when we got the powdercoating setup ready we used my wheels as the demo parts. I had ordered the green and shipped it 2 day so I would have it on time. Somebody at eastwood decided to ignore that and sent it standard, so I didn't get it on time. So gloss/wet black was my second option. Front rim turned out great, but while the back was baking the oven freaked out and didn't melt the powder nicely. I decided to strip it back down by then I had the green and figured I'd just try the combo I have now. I'm going to ride around with it this season and see how I like the look. Next winter new forks will be installed so this is quite likely for just one season.