Thread: Heat Wrapping Pipes

Heat Wrapping Pipes

So I have a Daytona with the exhaust that goes between my legs and out under my back seat. I will be the first to admit that it gets hot. Really hot. And I have been told by my passengers that it is quite warm as well. I was thinking that I could heat wrap my pipes up to my muffler to help keep the heat where it belongs, in the pipe.

Any thoughts on if anyone has done this before? Or how it will effect the bike? (It should not)

Thanks for the input.
    2008 Honda CBR 600rr Orange, named Leeloo
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 Red, named Caprica 6
    2012 Triumph Daytona 675 Red, named Alice
    Rubber down my nerds!\\//,

Re: Heat Wrapping Pipes

I have done it on a few bikes and liked the results. Im not a chrome fan so the tape accomplished two things - Reduced heat and covered the chrome. The only down side that I noticed was that both times when the tape was removed it essentially ruined the finish on the pipe that was wrapped. It didnt stick on there for say but it definitely burn it on.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Like Ezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy1 said, it will reduce heat, and will bake to your pipe. If your pipes are stock, they are stainless steel, so corrosion isn't a concern, meaning the wrap won't impact life expectancy of the pipes, but they will ruin the finish (If there is one). Don't expect to pick up any power though (Nor will you lose any, it'll stay about the same).

I wrapped my aprilia rsvr pipes simply to keep heat in but don't expect the pipes to be cool to the touch, they will still get hot...

I have maybe 12ft or 15ft of wrap left over if you want it you can have it. You will need to buy the silicon 'curing' spray, which is $10 at any autoparts store.

I hate those metal zip-ties that they give you so I used metal-wire...

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ing&highlight=

Thanks all for the input, and the offer for the materials, but I work at a bike parts retailer so getting it is not of a concern. Nor is ruining the finish.

Sure is nice to get legitimate answers on a forum!
    2008 Honda CBR 600rr Orange, named Leeloo
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 Red, named Caprica 6
    2012 Triumph Daytona 675 Red, named Alice
    Rubber down my nerds!\\//,

I find the corrosion argument to be a non factor. Certainly in Colorado we don't get that much moisture to be an issue. I wrapped the pipes on the TLR 6 months after I purchased and after 6+ years in FL/GA riding in the rain etc., i had no issues. Rewrapped after bike rebuild and last time I checked still no issues.

I wrap mine, find the heat containment to be worth the non-risk of corrosion. I would rather look at wrapped pipes than constantly scrub chrome pipes.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I find the corrosion argument to be a non factor. Certainly in Colorado we don't get that much moisture to be an issue. I wrapped the pipes on the TLR 6 months after I purchased and after 6+ years in FL/GA riding in the rain etc., i had no issues. Rewrapped after bike rebuild and last time I checked still no issues.

I wrap mine, find the heat containment to be worth the non-risk of corrosion. I would rather look at wrapped pipes than constantly scrub chrome pipes.

I would factor into your factoring that it does happen. Maybe you didnt have any issues (or wash your bike) but it happens for sure. Maybe different materials or conditions.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Well if he has the stock pipes, and the bike is newer than the mid 90s or so, the chances of it not having stainless pipes are very very low. And stainless steel won't corrode.

I like the wrap.

I agree with the people above. Mine are wrapped due to excessive heat without them on my right boot, after the wrap it's much better, still gets hot but not nearly as much.

After almost 2 years, I did put my stock muffler back on which I had to re-do my wrap on the link pipe, noticed just discoloration in patterns of the heat wrap. No major thing though, just re-wrapped it and all is fine.

For those that haven't worked with these wraps before, use gloves haha.....

like slo said use gloves, and get the wrap wet in water to make it a little more manageable and to get a tighter wrap, and take your time to make it look uniform. Ive used this many times on bikes and cars.
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

I never thought about getting it wet before. I wrapped the hot side on my turbo car, but with turbo cars wrapping actually does help performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I never thought about getting it wet before. I wrapped the hot side on my turbo car, but with turbo cars wrapping actually does help performance.
    yea I had a old timer mechanic show me that, it just gets a little more flexible so its easier to mess with.
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)