Thread: HWY Shoulder Legal Question

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: HWY Shoulder Legal Question

Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    I don't think there is any CA law authorizing lane splitting, it's just not prohibited. High school chemistry says you can't filter carbon monoxide, but the chief benefits of lane splitting are typically the reduced rear end motorcycle fatalities and the increased overall efficiency.

I try to be a generally reasonable person when I ride\drive\live and generally speaking, I feel like that comes back in the form of courteous behavior from others. That whole do unto others thing... I don't ride 100 on the highway, I don't get all up in people's shit, I wear gear, I don't ride a stretched 600 with ghettoboys lighting, and while there is occasionally someone who is just having a shitty day and I somehow aggravated them, I generally just keep on going and that's the end of it. In my experience lane splitting in CA and Italy, it works perfectly fine and people are generally courteous and give you all the room they can. Obviously don't be an ass about it and do 50mph faster than the flow of traffic, but 5-10mph faster in slow traffic and everything is perfectly fine. Yes, there are psychopaths out there, but is respectful riding really going to trigger that? From the Hurt report, "Deliberate hostile action by a motorist against a motorcycle rider is a rare accident cause" and they get charged with attempted manslaughter and sent to jail before they and their insurance company get sued to kingdom come and back.
    I admit i was wrong about the filters and they do not filter carbon monoxide. I guess am juts thinking common sense wise though and what stops carbon monoxide.....steel and panes of glass....exactly what a car is Yeah windows rolled down defeats that purpose, but I would think a cage of glass and steel/aluminum would shied most carbon monoxide. No idea if the actual law was about this, but I just put the exert from what I remember reading about it.

P.S. Townie, no need for me to simmer down....you can probably tell I kind of enjoy arguing At least this is what my wife tells me....

This article is stating that CHP did finally put out rules for lane splitting in January (cracking down on speed of lane splitters; which I agree with):
    The new rules, which the CHP introduced in January after consulting with other state agencies and motorcycle-rider groups, apply to city streets, highways and freeways across the state.
    "Basically, what we're most interested in is the speeds," Pope said. "You should lane-split no faster than 10 mph over the speed of traffic around you, and we recommend (motorcyclists) not split at all if the traffic is faster than 30 mph."
    http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ed-4270272.php

Tons of info on it here: http://lanesplittingislegal.com/
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Jul 23rd, 2014 at 07:44 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!