Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Went down...bowing out of riding for a while.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: Went down...bowing out of riding for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnzy View Post
    <Snip...>I'm done defending what I did. I've learned a great deal from this <Snip...>
    The sign of a genuine motorcyclist. It's all part of the process man.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Then I go to your profile and see your first sportbike was a 1000cc (assume it is your first bike) so that makes me think you are a guy that has very little skill, but little patience to put in the time it takes to learn this sport. Some of the best riders on here have been doing it for 20+ years! Takes miles under your belt.
    Just as a little background, I grew up on snowmobiles for years as a kid (which isn't the same obviously but still motorsports), then I rode my dad's old goldwing for 4 years prior to coming out to CO and then I grabbed the SV.

I've done a lot of reading on riding and techinque, lots of videos, I was planning on doing some more continuing ed in the near future also. Obviously reading and vids are not going to cut it for skill development but at least to get the theory flowing. I'm not one to get into something and not try to get lots of training, especially something as skill intensive as this. To be sure I need a lot more training and I'm more than open to suggestions for courses and materials.
    Last edited by Shawnzy; Mon Jul 7th, 2014 at 01:55 PM.
    2007 SV1000s "Toothless"

Gold Member

Maybe I'm still just working through the whole thing and thinking about it, but the bottom line is I fked up. I think you're all right about pride. I don't think I wanted to admit it but I think my head was bigger than my actual skill level. I'm sorry for the rude comments. Part of it is trying to analyze what happened but it is ultimately through my filter which is biased. I thought I was doing great when it happened but I was not. I was going really hard. I pushed it far beyond reasonable standards for street riding and I blew it.

I appreciate the feedback whether I initially appreciated it or not. I think most of you are more experienced than I and I'm sorry for being resistant to your input because it was foolish to do so. Townie, I'm sorry for telling you to shove it and thank you for being willing to go out on a limb and say what needed to be said. I'm done defending what I did. I've learned a great deal from this and I'm just glad to be alive and that no one else was hurt. I hope all of you will forgive my pig-headedness.

I realize that no bike is going to be safe and they will all have temptations. Really the difference now is that I'm going to make better choices so I can ride another day. I'm really sorry again for my attitude, please forgive me.
    Its all good bud. We have all been down.

I think with the way you talk about our passion we all share the track is a great place for you to play. Just the way you talk about it. Not a bad thing. Not all. And you never know man you might just fall in love with it.

After I watched Brian die I have never gone back on a group ride. Just solo. Kind of like it better that way. But I also don't push any corners. At all. Not my thing. Well maybe sometimes. Lol.

No need to beat the horse around here. Tons of great advice has been dished.

Here's to keeping the rubber side down.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Maybe I'm still just working through the whole thing and thinking about it, but the bottom line is I fked up. I think you're all right about pride. I don't think I wanted to admit it but I think my head was bigger than my actual skill level. I'm sorry for the rude comments. Part of it is trying to analyze what happened but it is ultimately through my filter which is biased. I thought I was doing great when it happened but I was not. I was going really hard. I pushed it far beyond reasonable standards for street riding and I blew it.

I appreciate the feedback whether I initially appreciated it or not. I think most of you are more experienced than I and I'm sorry for being resistant to your input because it was foolish to do so. Townie, I'm sorry for telling you to shove it and thank you for being willing to go out on a limb and say what needed to be said. I'm done defending what I did. I've learned a great deal from this and I'm just glad to be alive and that no one else was hurt. I hope all of you will forgive my pig-headedness.

I realize that no bike is going to be safe and they will all have temptations. Really the difference now is that I'm going to make better choices so I can ride another day. I'm really sorry again for my attitude, please forgive me.
    This was really genuine and heartfelt, good on you man. Glad you are OK.
    2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Nothing wrong with a piece of humble pie every now and then.

Sorry I'm late to the party but holy crap man!! Glad you're ok (aside from the bruising and oozing). Just get back on the saddle, don't go more than 10 over, and be careful out there.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Yeah like others I am just glad you came around see that you did mess up a bit and this will help you fix what went wrong; believe me we have all been there man! I used to roll around with no helmet on hot days until I realized how dumb that was for the risk I was taking. As I said a lot of the stupid things we did as riders was just lack of experience so that is what you need more of. Speed will come later....and hopefully on the track. You will be amazed how much a few track days help skill...best money you can spend on this sport (minus professional help on track)

The good thing is there are a lot of great riders on this site that would be more than willing to help you out...now...before we may have considered you another idiot that refused to learn! They will prove that skill is way more important than the type of bike you ride.....had a buddy with a SV650 that proved that to me...such wimpy bikes, but skill can make then crazy fast as they corner so well.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Glad to hear your latter posts Swanzy. . I rode Squaw Pass the very next day after your crash and I too saw some gravel. I was pushing it as well. I just know my bike, my line, entry speed and most of all my riding level. With that being said, there was an ass pucker or two on that ride. I'm setting up for a corner hot and for a split millisecond my adrenaline peaks and I pucker. Immediately, I come to and make my turn flawless. It happens. Like some have said in this post, we all push our bikes and the last thing we want to do is go down and if we do we don't want to admit our fault. Our PRIDE IS TO HIGH. Well that's bullshit. Get back on two soon and put some miles under your belt. Reading , videos, etc. won't teach you real world riding. I feel I'm pushing it too hard for the canyons lately and I will be going to some track days this year and possibly a Super Street race later this season. Canyon riding is a blast but too much can go wrong. Well enough, get well and "Take the Blasting to the track.

Hey Shawnzy glad you made without too many injuries. It could have been a lot worse for sure. June 8th I hit a piece of 4x4 lumber on Independence Pass. Broke 5 ribs, collar bone, sternum, left hand, 2 vertebrae , bruised my heart and had a liver contusion. I had on full leathers and other gear so I didn't have any road rash. Spent a week in Aspen Valley Hospital (awesome hospital by the way). Clovis stayed the first night with me in Intensive Care (thanks Clovis). I'm 57 years old and have been riding on and off since I was 8.

Will I ride again? Hell yeah! My bike is repaired and ready to go. While I'm still healing and not ready to ride yet, I've had a lot of time to learn from this experience. What did I learn? I target fixated for one and two my reflexes aren't the same as 27 and three those injuries hurt like hell

Anyway we can all take responsibility for our actions and learn from our mistakes. Will I take some classes to sharpen my riding skills? Yes even after over 40 years of riding I can still improve.

And believe Clovis when he says that the an FJR is fast and that you can get into trouble with it.

In closing:
    Learn from your mistakes
    Take some classes to improve riding skills
    Get back on the horse
    Keep the shinny side up
    Canyon Rippers Unite!

2015 Aprilia Tuono V4R