Thread: Monday, October 13 HPR Motorcycles Only Lapping

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Monday, October 13 HPR Motorcycles Only Lapping

So the most expensive and prettiest bike doesn't make you faster? I learned something there. I call this expensive bike syndrome. For two years at IMI I rode an $800 2004 ninja 250 (1988 technology) that was ugly as sin. I just wanted to learn as much as possible and be become a better rider.

Almost every day at the track someone would show up on some brand new drool worthy bike, my brother and I would just laugh, "here comes another one." We would then spend the rest of our sessions lapping the guy on the $15k bike with full exhaust, quickshifter, power commander, etc. Eventually some would come over and ask, "what kind of bike is that? Do you race?" 80% of then couldn't ride in the parking lot let alone the track. If, and they usually didn't, they talked riding with us it was usually about them and their bike, how fast they were in the canyons, etc. Rarely they would ask why our bikes (not the riders on them) were so fast. The ego of motorcycle riders is a fragile thing (mine included), so after they learn that someone is faster and they haven't really learned how to ride better what is the solution? A 2015 BMW S1000R, because that extra hp really helps with trail braking, body position, and all the other unimportant things that learning from listening to more experienced riders and applying can provide.

So Aaron, here's the lessons. It's great that you've discovered the track, it took me a long time to do so and I'll never ride on the street again. Now really take advantage of the opportunity, listen to the great advice that MRA racers are giving. Apply it. You don't need more HP you need less. Let's be honest, their are less than 20 riders in the whole state who can truly maximize the potential of a bone stock 600, I'm certainly not one but I am working hard to learn as much as I can in order to be one. Any time someone is at the track and seem to be competent, even if I'm faster, I'll always ask them questions. I'll follow them to examine their lines, body position, whatever. I'll ask them if they could follow me and provide feedback.

For all the guys considering the track, do it. I rode and raced motocross for years, bought an F3 at 16, first track day at 30 on a pos ninja 250 and learned more in two track days than the 14 years on the street. It will help you be safer on the streets, if you even continue to ride on the street, and it's a blast. Start at IMI, it's cheap and small, it will teach you the importantance of corner speed and how to achieve it.

Ramble over, sorry for my numerous grammatical errors.
    Last edited by mcarthd26; Tue Oct 21st, 2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect