Thread: What should be done in Ferguson

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: What should be done in Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by JKOL View Post
    I didn't take it personally, but acting like a kid that is rich has every advantage is silly. Rich kids can have garbage parents as well, single parent households, divorce and bad parenting isn't only a poor person problem. I know people that had crap parents and they turned out great, and I know people that had great parents and turned out to be garbage adults.

I know what you are trying to say, but I am not going to buy into it. I can only accept responsibility for my own actions. I am not responsible for the situations of others simply because I grew up in a middle class family. My mom was a broke single mom teaching elementary school. I was lucky I still had my dad around and later I ended up with a great step dad as well. I know I was lucky in that regard, but just because someone wasn't as lucky doesn't excuse them when they are hateful, angry, and horribly misguided people.

I don't look down on people for growing up differently than I did, but I do look down at people like those in the video, because they are ignorant, hateful people. Much the way I look down on the KKK, Westboro Baptist Church, or any other hateful group. They aren't helping their cause by burning down their own neighborhoods, burning down minority owned businesses in the process. They are more damaging to their own cause then any number of racist white people. They are hurting themselves and their families and communities.

Ask those that participated in the LA riots how that fight for their cause helped their neighborhoods. It is a safe bet those communities are far worse than they were before the riots took place which is the same fate for Fergusson. It is just sad those living there that burned their own community to the ground while the world watched and collectively wondered WTF these people were thinking, they were too blind by their rage and hatred to see they were only pushing themselves further into a hole.

Take a look at people from Mexico or from Central/South American countries that go through hell to get to the US to imrove their situations in life. They were all dealt a crappy hand by being born in 2nd/3rd world countries, but they bust their asses and fight to overcome a bad start. They don't sit and bitch about everyone keeping them down. I work in construction and it is booming all over the country right now, including right here in CO. There are plenty of opportunities for those willing to work hard. People from other countries have figured it out, it is sad that many right here in the US haven't. And while they sit on the sidelines and bitch about no opportunities, millions of hard working people from other countries are arriving every year and grabbing those opportunities that others say aren't available.
    You are just making it seem way easier than it is. Statistics have proved it is not as easy to get out of poverty as it seems. Here is a good article by CBS on it:

Poverty In America: Why It’s Difficult To Climb Out Of Poverty <-click

Snipet from article:

The “American Dream” gives Americans hope that if they work hard, they will eventually be successful and they will “climb up the ladder.” But, has the “American Dream” failed to deliver to many Americans? Indeed.
    In today’s society, it has become nearly impossible to “climb the ladder.” Those mail room jobs that later lead to a person becoming the President of the company rarely exist anymore. Many minimum wage workers work just as hard as anyone else, if not harder. But, their hard work is rarely rewarded with a raise or a promotion. Furthermore, our socioeconomic status is an unfortunate label that tends to stick with a person.
    Poor people are often viewed and treated differently — as if they were a small segment of the American population. As if being poor was their fault…
    To make matters worse, besides the way that they are viewed, poor people are often pushed further into poverty due to restrictions, lack of available funds, and unexpected financial burdens that they have no way to prepare for.

P.S. Not saying crazy riots are the answer though or I condone that....only meant in general people don't get dealt the same hand and it is not as easy as people think to get out and become a product of their environment. I have not followed the Fergusun incident enough to speak on it, so this was a general statement from the one I underlined at first from you that stated "full responsibility for where they are in life "full" being the key word here....I can say responsibility, but not always full responsibility

Few more article to show it is not easy to get out of poverty:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/op...anted=all&_r=0

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/17/167449...out-of-poverty
    Last edited by bulldog; Thu Dec 4th, 2014 at 02:07 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!