Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
Poor mileage, damaging to many engines, rubber/plastics. More about subsidies & $ than fuel. Corn has no purpose in our fuel supply IMO.
Poor mileage is misleading. Full e85 requires about 30% more fuel than gasoline because of it's lower energy content. However, e85 is substantially cheaper than 91, the closest widely-available pump gasoline to e85 in terms of performance. And even then, close isn't even the word for, as e85 is generally around 105 octane. I filled up yesterday in my 335, e85 was $1.39 and 91 was $2.31. Adding 30% price to e85 to match the increase in consumption raises its effective price to $1.80, still substantially cheaper than 91. Not to mention it's pretty much race fuel, and burns a lot cooler.

The federal government mandates cars be equipped to handle of to e20, that's why many go straight for flex-fuel compliance, because the difference in e20 and e85 from a hardware perspective is, well, there is no different. If your engine can handle e20, which the government says it must in order to be sold to you, then it can handle e85. Although not a huge study, I've got 7,000 miles of e85 in my car, and hasn't burned through the stainless steel yet *rollseyes* e85 will not damage any modern fuel system.

Ya, it is more about money. It costs less, makes more power, burns cleaner.

And, if you're all about supporting US farmers as opposed to middle eastern terrorists, then there's that too.