Thread: Dead forum?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Dead forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Yeah, technology is a weird thing. My career depends on it 100%! However, if you text me, you're getting a phone call back. I refuse to text all day when a three-second phone call would have handled everything...
    Funny I am same way and bugs people. My step sister lives in Japan and insist on texting when we get free "Magicjack" calls. Takes a hour to see how she is when it would take 2 minutes of conversation. I like texting for some things, but most times I miss just old fashion talks. Plus texting gets me in more trouble as "sarcasm" doesn't come across right on texts I even miss the old days where if I was not home I could not be found....now everyone blows up the cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Follow me on Twitter.
    @itsbarn
    I refuse....I will only follow you on forums!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Re: Dead forum?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I'm not on either myself as I prefer forums, but basically Twitter is instant and more like a text message sent to your phone and replies come instantly back (sent to multiple people); no opening up a browser to get to a site. FB basically the same and you send out a question to all your friends at once instead of on a forum where you hope they sign on to see the question.

I'm sure people who use it more could explain better, but just saying from what I have read this is what is replacing forums. Pretty sure the CSC FB page gets more action there than here....again don't have a FB account as I like to be private.

I believe Facebook has about 1.74 billion members.....no forum could compare with that!

http://www.kalyr.com/weblog/computin...tter-vs-blogs/

I’ve previously blogged about the ways social networking sites all too frequently suck the life out of forums and blogging, and I think the challenge is finding a space for blogs and forums in a world where everyone has accounts in Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. People are naturally lazy, and prefer a “one stop shop” approach expecting content to come to them rather than keep track of dozens of individual sites. It’s why so many businesses have abandoned their own web forums in favour of Facebook groups; that’s where their customers are.
    Myself, I prefer the forum platform. I had Fakebook for a little while, but it's been over six years since I was on it. My favorite thing about Facebook was Zynga Poker. Other than that, it was really pointless in my view. Sure it helped me reconnect with some people from my past. The funny thing is though and I learned this. There is a reason for some people to be in your past. However, it seemed to cause my problems than it actually helped. So I got rid of it, and I've never done the Twitter thing. I can't be limited to just 140 characters

For me the forum allows the ability to give either a concise response or a long winded one. It allows for excellent back and forth between people debating a topic or just chit chatting about something in general.

I can tell you this, I've had some very serious and hard fought debates on this forum in the past. Everything from religion and politics, to guns and everything in between. I would even say, I developed a nemesis or two on this board when it came to debating heated topics. Vance, Snowman, Barn, Nick_Ninja, Tipys, and a few others all made the list of "Those who hate BK".... Even Townie and I battled back in the day.

I don't believe there is one person on this forum that I haven't at some point offended to a degree with my views. Call it a problem of my youth, now I'm much more reserved and don't offer my opinion on many things anymore. And to be honest, it's mainly cause I really don't care anymore, I'm a happy tyrant that wants to keep it low key. I hold my opinions to myself(but rest assured I still have them) however, I only really come out of hiding when the topic is the 2nd Amendment.

For the most part though, I enjoyed the debates and the back and forth. Many times it was just myself vs. everyone mentioned, so it was hard to keep up with all the responses. Usually I'd try and reply to everyone by may have missed a few.

Vance and I probably wrote the book on how to use up the character limit on a forum. Just so you know, unless it's changed on here, it's 10000

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Funny I am same way and bugs people. My step sister lives in Japan and insist on texti
    ng when we get free "Magicjack" calls. Takes a hour to see how she is when it would take 2 minutes of conversation. I like texting for some things, but most times I miss just old fashion talks. Plus texting gets me in more trouble as "sarcasm" doesn't come across right on texts I even miss the old days where if I was not home I could not be found....now everyone blows up the cell phone.

I refuse....I will only follow you on forums!
    See I prefer a text when it's just something quick and fast. If someone needs to tell me something without it needing a phone call, that's when I like a text message. Even if it's a long text message, I don't mind it. Tell me everything you need to in the text and let it be that. If I feel the need to reply I will or I'll just call.

My favorite thing to do, is to talk face to face to someone. Because then, I can see their facial expressions when we conversate and really read into what they are thinking. Can't do that on the phone, can't see the proverbial eye roll, or the "you're full of crap" face someone might give while writing a text message.

Which I think does in a sense get lost on the forums as well. The good thing though, is it's basically old school letter correspondence just via a message forum. It allows for those parties involved to convey their point of view and leave it for all to see. It's a very good way of engaging many people into a topic that might just be between a few. Certainly some just jump in to give a small two cents, and others go all in.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."