Thread: I rage too much......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Moderator

Re: I rage too much......

Until recently, I lived in the Springs for over 9 years, the traffic situation there is horrible, and it's only getting worse as more people move/are stationed there. Traffic can be a serious source of aggravation for plenty of people, especially when there are no quick routes anywhere. Time is precious to everyone, so the sense of futility that your time is being wasted dealing with other drivers or traffic jams is infuriating. Sadly, riding in the city isn't that much better. Yes, you can get around a bit faster, but at a highly compounded risk. Needless to say, if you find yourself raging in a car, it won't be long before you're kicking doors or smashing mirrors when drivers pull boneheaded maneuvers around you. The reason being that on a bike you are vastly more exposed to danger, and whereas in a car it might be a fender bender, on a bike it can literally be life or death. Ask yourself, do you really think, given the anxiety you experience in a car, that it won't bleed over on a bike?

The solution, I'm afraid, isn't changing your mode of transportation, but, as has already been said, by changing your state of mind about it. When those situations arise, the best advice I can give is to remind yourself that worrying about things you can't control is like needlessly carrying the weight of others' poor decisions. It's not easy and takes work, but, in the end, you will lift yourself above those problems and find that you can be easy going in the car just as you are everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Until recently, I lived in the Springs for over 9 years, the traffic situation there is horrible, and it's only getting worse as more people move/are stationed there. Traffic can be a serious source of aggravation for plenty of people, especially when there are no quick routes anywhere. Time is precious to everyone, so the sense of futility that your time is being wasted dealing with other drivers or traffic jams is infuriating. Sadly, riding in the city isn't that much better. Yes, you can get around a bit faster, but at a highly compounded risk. Needless to say, if you find yourself raging in a car, it won't be long before you're kicking doors or smashing mirrors when drivers pull boneheaded maneuvers around you. The reason being that on a bike you are vastly more exposed to danger, and whereas in a car it might be a fender bender, on a bike it can literally be life or death. Ask yourself, do you really think, given the anxiety you experience in a car, that it won't bleed over on a bike?

The solution, I'm afraid, isn't changing your mode of transportation, but, as has already been said, by changing your state of mind about it. When those situations arise, the best advice I can give is to remind yourself that worrying about things you can't control is like needlessly carrying the weight of others' poor decisions. It's not easy and takes work, but, in the end, you will lift yourself above those problems and find that you can be easy going in the car just as you are everywhere else.

that is exactly what I am scared of. So far, on my bike, Ive been learning to let go almost instantly. I had a few wtf people, but the more I drive, the more I start thinking its not their fault, they just didnt see me bc I am so small and I let it go.

In a car, I think its more of "i feel like I am getting disrespected" if they cut in front of me, tail gate me, dont use their blinkers etc. However, I need to learn how to just ignore those things and not let it get to me. Man its just so frustrating...like dude use your blinkers...stop tailgating me.. etc

regardless I know on a bike is much different, and the instant emotions take over, it can be very dangerous since it can alter the way I drive and think...

Quote Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
    that is exactly what I am scared of. So far, on my bike, Ive been learning to let go almost instantly. I had a few wtf people, but the more I drive, the more I start thinking its not their fault, they just didnt see me bc I am so small and I let it go.

In a car, I think its more of "i feel like I am getting disrespected" if they cut in front of me, tail gate me, dont use their blinkers etc. However, I need to learn how to just ignore those things and not let it get to me. Man its just so frustrating...like dude use your blinkers...stop tailgating me.. etc

regardless I know on a bike is much different, and the instant emotions take over, it can be very dangerous since it can alter the way I drive and think...
    There's two books you should look into reading, that may help with changing your mindset and taking on more ownership in yourself and life. One is called Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and the other is Unbeatable Mind by Mark Divine.

Both books can help you with setting goals, changing your outlook on life, retooling the way you think and taking on personal ownership in all situations.

Now you'll get out of those books what you put in. And you can pick and choose things that will help you out. For me, specifically Unbeatable Mind, I had to not focus on the philosophical parts that Mark Divine talks about. For him, he's really big into Yogi and transcendental meditation. I don't believe in that sort of thing, so I used the more physical and practical examples to learn from.

Jocko Willink's book Extreme Ownership, gives many examples of how you can affect the situation and be part of the solution. You can also be part of the problem and that's where you need to focus extreme ownership and then offer up a solution. The concepts in the book are for leadership and growing teams within the corporate world, however there are many good lessons to learn from the book. Using them to then apply them to the way you live and view life. You can take extreme ownership in just day to day tasks.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."