Thread: To those that went down this weekend....

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

To those that went down this weekend....

.....on their bikes, I mean!

I feel for you guys, really, I do. I HATE to see that shit. I've been there when I was younger, and I can honestly say every time except one (and even that was partially my fault) was me doing something stupid. Luckily, I just lost skin, and didn't really do much damage. I've never wrecked a car either. Ever. I've been lucky to avoid spills, but also believe longtime skills and experience (do NOT panic) helped me to save things. Especially when the front TOTALLY washed out on me twice in Rist canyon (see my warning post and Big-E's comment also).

The point I'm trying to make, is, basically, don't be stupid. Don't let testosterone blind you. You don't win any prizes for beating your buddy up/down the mountain. The trophy comes at the end of your life when you can look back at a long riding history with minimal injuries. The alternative is too horrible to contemplate. Remember, people like N_N, Beuller, other FOG'ers and I have been riding since most of you were still in diapers, so you might want to just think this over a little bit. Obviously, it worked for us.

Heal up, fix your bikes, and, please, use this as a learning experience to prevent or mitigate a "next" time.

Ride on, riders......
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Re: To those that went down this weekend....

Couldn't have said it better myself, and I'm a newb...hmmm...maybe that's cause I'm such an 'old' newb...and a Mom...and a teacher of teenage boys.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

well said....
    and one more note on this.
    it does little for the morale of the group when you lose it by pushing your limits.
    take your pace and be happy with it.
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."

.........a crotch rocket going 85 to 90 down the highway looking like a power ranger on a mission...

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I go into canyons and tell myself --- "Self ---- you are going to ride this canyon start to finish in second gear and nothing else." Try it sometime --- you'd be amazed. Red line at 80 in the corners is as much fun as 170 in a straight line ----- think about it.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Great attitude for sure. It's all about learning from your mistakes and if the price you pay for your mistakes is too high - because of stupidity - then you don't get a chance to learn. Kind of a Social Darwinian thing. Like the guy who wanted to blame is fork seals for tucking the front end by braking too hard. I did the same thing on my crf250 and broke my wrist. Took me about 4 months to stop blaming the wonderfully engineered and tested motorcycle and fess up to the fact that the dipsh1t riding it screwed the pooch. Had I not been racing 3/4Gixxer down the trail I might have been going a more rational speed and might have missed out on the nice titanium screw I scored in my wrist. That would have been great.
    "Ask me about my weiner!"

aka "Ponch"
    '07 gsxr 750
    '05 crf250

Quote Originally Posted by svrat
    Great attitude for sure. It's all about learning from your mistakes and if the price you pay for your mistakes is too high - because of stupidity - then you don't get a chance to learn. Kind of a Social Darwinian thing. Like the guy who wanted to blame is fork seals for tucking the front end by braking too hard. I did the same thing on my crf250 and broke my wrist. Took me about 4 months to stop blaming the wonderfully engineered and tested motorcycle and fess up to the fact that the dipsh1t riding it screwed the pooch. Had I not been racing 3/4Gixxer down the trail I might have been going a more rational speed and might have missed out on the nice titanium screw I scored in my wrist. That would have been great.
    Great post rat, I'll ride whitcha!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

I agree svrat....the bikes that we buy are tested well past the limits we will be pushing them to. While it has happened, it is a VERY rare occassion that a wreck is caused by actual bike failure. Disrepair and rider error are your culprits in most all wrecks (and if you ride a bike that is in such disrepair that is causes you to wreck, it is still your fault).
    When I wrecked, I know it was 100% my fault...I was pushing the bike a lil further than it was set up to be pushed and tagged my exhaust on the ground which spun the bike and low sided (i was on a track at the time). My fault...now I know I can't lean that far, lesson learned.
    I do feel for the people who wrecked over the weekend (and anytime). Wrecking is a painful and expensive way to learn a lesson on a bike
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

I can't believe yet another thread has been started...

Quote Originally Posted by warrenjrose
    I can't believe yet another thread has been started...
    Aww, c'mon man! It's better than arguing whether or not Bush sucks, or if the world will run out of oil by the end of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Beotch
    I agree svrat....the bikes that we buy are tested well past the limits we will be pushing them to. While it has happened, it is a VERY rare occassion that a wreck is caused by actual bike failure. Disrepair and rider error are your culprits in most all wrecks (and if you ride a bike that is in such disrepair that is causes you to wreck, it is still your fault).
    When I wrecked, I know it was 100% my fault...I was pushing the bike a lil further than it was set up to be pushed and tagged my exhaust on the ground which spun the bike and low sided (i was on a track at the time). My fault...now I know I can't lean that far, lesson learned.
    I do feel for the people who wrecked over the weekend (and anytime). Wrecking is a painful and expensive way to learn a lesson on a bike
    Exactly my thoughts. I went down on the track because I got off the gas in a corner when the back started slipping out. Instant High Side. My fault and guess what, I've slipped since then and I've corrected, lesson learned.
    03 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by 3/4gixxer
    I went down on the track because I got off the gas in a corner when the back started slipping out. Instant High Side.
    Been there, done that... lesson learned
    Jon

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BHeth
    Aww, c'mon man! It's better than arguing whether or not Bush sucks, or if the world will run out of oil by the end of the week.
    I like Bush.. ...

Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Sully
    I like Bush.. ...

Everything is starting to make much more sense now.........

Sully........maybe you should have done 3 months instead of a 6 month 'break'.......... j/k
    Kristina
    MRA Secretary
    '03 R6

I like Bush.. ...

Even when it sucks?

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

The Prez sucks... imo..

different Bush...

Kris.. ... gross !
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

I like Bush.. ...

I like 'em baby-smoooooth......

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

The Prez sucks... imo..

different Bush...
    He's just a dude in a suit with no real power, reading speeches someone else wrote. Just like all his predecessors.

LMAO
    Last edited by mtnairlover; Thu Sep 7th, 2006 at 02:12 PM.

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

He's just a dude in a suit with no real power, reading speeches someone else wrote. Just like all his predecessors.
    If in fact he IS a "dude in a suit with no real power", why is everybody blaming him for everything they don't like? Hmmmmmm.....

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY
    If in fact he IS a "dude in a suit with no real power", why is everybody blaming him for everything they don't like? Hmmmmmm.....
    Well, duh! You hit the nail on the head, Cycle Monkey.

Well, duh! You hit the nail on the head, Cycle Monkey.
    Tell the liberals to quit whining then!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY
    Tell the liberals to quit whining then!
    if they quite whining, then I won't be able to bitch when some no-talent-ass-clown liberal is installed into the white house.

I love this thread...first we get Frank's heart-felt words of wisdom...then we get a lil' bit of ...to some no-talent ass clown...

I say we vote for C_M for prez...so he can get all the baby smoooooth bush he wants while we sit back and watch the drama unfold

j/k Frank

03 GSXR 750