Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post accident mental recovery experiences

Re: Post accident mental recovery experiences

I miss Bisexual Brittney... and all her STDs!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

oh man here come all the OG CSC stories
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Well... I don't miss all​ of them. I kept a few...
    Kim & Dean

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    I miss Bisexual Brittney... and all her STDs!
    NO ONE misses that! Well, maybe Barn.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I miss the Kim & Dean insane Halloween parties
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Well, put on something sexy and come on over!
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Well... I don't miss all​ of them. I kept a few...
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post

I miss the Breck Brewery Thanksgiving parties. Faaack I had some hangovers from that place.

Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

...and pit bike races at the picnic.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I miss the Breck Brewery Thanksgiving parties. Faaack I had some hangovers from that place.

Only went to one before they dismantled haha, good times for sure.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow65 View Post
    I thought I could throw this kind of thing up here and have a conversation about what it takes to recuperate from an accident on a mental front.
    It really depends on the severity of the injury. When I crashed I suffered a mild concussion, but due to the severity of my other injuries I had serious trouble retrieving names of places and people. It was almost 9 months to a year before I regained the majority of ability, but at times I still struggle with it. If you are concerned I would suggest contacting a sports psychologist for some evaluation and treatment. It can't hurt.

Also, if you haven't tried it yet, go to the track. Most of us can recount people who have been hurt, or died, riding on the street to get their speed fix. The track can be dangerous, but honestly you won't have crazy traffic causing you problems.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Hell yeah, the forum's back! Somebody tell Nate.

Don't feel bad bad DKnow.... I have't read through this whole thing but I did read your "95%" comment, and you didn't lose me at all. I'm not quick to judge anybody who'd make make a comment like this, certainly not behind the wheel of an auto and definitely not piloting a motorcycle. Hell.... I've probably ridden at 130% of my ability before on the street! :knocks on wood: We live. We learn.

My current percentage is

Anyhow... I'll chime more in on this later, it's just good to see some audience participation back in this place again, even if they are just gonna heckle your honesty. Cue the music!
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Wed Nov 1st, 2017 at 09:18 PM.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    NO ONE misses that! Well, maybe Barn.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

As far as the mental recovery goes, you were talking about having some leathers repaired here recently, eh?
    If that's the case, presumably it's the gear you rashed in this wreck, so it sounds like you're already on that road.

I think anytime anything shakes you mentally, you have to do whatever it takes to not dwell on it. For some that's just to get right back at the routine as soon as possible, and start the baseline again. For others, it's to dissect it and dissect it and analyze it, and do our best to calculate a lesson from it.
    For others, it's probably just having a drink! I mean really.... what makes one path to righting the mental ship more correct than another (?). The outcome remains the same.
    Or it should anyway, if I'm reading you right. i.e. getting back into "sporty riding" and feeling good about it, sooner rather than later.

Anyhow... If you're dwelling on the situation, then you probably haven't concluded it yet; but maybe it's just a work that's in progress still. Until you conclude it though, you're likely not to to regain the enjoyment out of riding that you had pre-accident. But when you do, and however you get to that conclusion - assuming you do - it'll makes sense.

Then you can post back up and tell us what it took!

And we can reply how that's not true.
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Wed Nov 1st, 2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Clarity of thought. Spelling.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow65 View Post
    Alright, I concede.

I thought I could throw this kind of thing up here and have a conversation about what it takes to recuperate from an accident on a mental front.
    I guess it was a miscalculation on my part.

Have at it guys, break down all the points where you wouldn't make this mistake, how safe you ride, blah blah blah.

Ignore the bit where I wasn't actually riding hard when the accident happened.

Posting this up was a mistake too.

Whatever.
    Good write up. Sucks that you had to shell out over 400.00 to get bike back. Yeah take a break for sure. Re- evaluate if riding is for you. Some people take a break for years and return.

I've gotten some sh*t over this before too man as I decided to take a break after just seeing way too many wrecks and friends hurt/died. The final draw was I rode to work for years and had my gear on, but for for some weird reason I decided to take my car at last minute. Less than a mile from my house a person ran a red light and hit a car that slammed into me.

Long story short it made me see that not all wrecks can be avoided; I had less than a milli second to realize I was being hit, no way I could have gotten away....I truly thought my 20+ years of riding would always save me and also having great gear.....yeah right. Then seeing my car totaled I really started to think how my leg would have been hit instead of the steel of my car....would I ever have walked normal again? What about lift on it like I do? I'm sure the leg would have been shattered. If I died I'd leave my wife and mother devastated and this started to cloud my mind and when I rode after I was just not the confident rider I once was. Honestly if it was just me I would not care that much, but doing that to the few people who love me is in end what really got to me. Sucks as still on a break, but those thoughts are not good for riding on a sportbike,

P.S. Don't worry, Wicky was one guy I used to tell not to wheelie in the street as not worth it (as he said); him and his buddies would tease me for not doing them on the street (Hoopty, BigJ, and him) . So he is not innocent and doubt many people are on this site as we've all broken a law at one point. 95% is way to high to ride on street and hopefully if anything that was the lesson learned.....

Honestly when Wicky wrecked and I saw his skin graft, that really made me slow down...among some other instances......Spiderman's wreck (our president), Gene and Jessica passing, watching my buddy break his back convulsing on side of road...this list goes on and on....
    Last edited by bulldog; Thu Nov 2nd, 2017 at 12:32 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    P.S. Don't worry, Wicky was one guy I used to tell not to wheelie in the street as not worth it (as he said); him and his buddies would tease me for not doing them on the street (Hoopty, BigJ, and him) . So he is not innocent and doubt many people are on this site as we've all broken a law at one point. 95% is way to high to ride on street and hopefully if anything that was the lesson learned.....

Honestly when Wicky wrecked and I saw his skin graft, that really made me slow down...among some other instances......Spiderman's wreck (our president), Gene and Jessica passing, watching my buddy break his back convulsing on side of road...this list goes on and on....
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

The mental recuperation time frame is on you really dude, every person reacts and deals with the post accident situation differently. I had a wash out at the race track at around 100mph 2 years ago and got back on a bike as soon as I could, hell even before I was supposed to cause I'm a stubborn fuck and I love motorcycles and riding that much that I couldn't give it up for anything or anyone. It's all on you and your mental tenacity to deal with it. All I can say is that if you're doubting yourself and such then it's better you take some time and just gather yourself before saddling back up, those doubts tend to be an issue and can cloud your judgement come ride time and in your decision making which we all know it's primordial behind the bars. Not judging you by any means, don't want to sound like an asshole but there's simply some of us that bounce right back, others take a minute to gather up and others just decide to quit altogether, at the end of the day is just up to you and how you're feeling at this time. I will never encourage anyone from stopping riding as again I think it's a beautiful thing but at the end of the day, you make the decision that best fits your criteria and your situation.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1