Thread: Onboard dash cameras

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Onboard dash cameras

I run a GoPro Hero 3 Black as my dashcam, and I'm not happy with it. I do not suggest a GoPro as a dash cam. I love the versatility, I also run it on my helmet on the bike, so it's cool to have one camera do both things, and rotate between any of my cars. I also like that I can remove it. For example when I got rear ended, I lifted the camera from the mount and held it in my hand when I first spoke with the girl. So if she changes her story later, admits shit, looks/sounds drunk, or goes crazy bitch on me it's all caught.

You don't need a rear facing camera, only front. If you get rear ended, it's nearly impossible for it to be your fault, unless you deliberately caused it, IE cutting someone off and brake checking. A front facing camera will show the impact, and you doing nothing to cause it. I've got a video below of me being rear ended.

But now for all the things GoPro SUCKS at:

1) They overheat if they are in sunlight and recording, and then shut down. I have mine in a skeleton case, and it still overheats frequently in direct sunlight. Doesn't happen on the bike, just the car.

2) The camera is buggy. It will randomly turn WiFi on and off frequently. I have it set on 1 push, where 1 button push turns the camera on and starts recording, but this often times doesn't work. The camera also freezes up and requires a reset every so often.

3) I have a 64 or 128 card in, the biggest you could use for the 3, and it gets me 4.5 hours at 1080. This is fine for me, but the auto-looping feature does not work. I even bought the special SD card made specifically for GoPro and the fucking auto loop still doesn't work. I have to delete media every 4.5 hours, which blows.

4) Like said before, the camera records in increments. So a 1 hour video will be broken up into 4 video files. This means you have to use video editing software to put them together if by chance you have an incident happen exactly at the cutoff. This is all fine, unless your computer is older than circa 2017. Then it won't have the processing power to edit 2 videos at once using GoPro Studio.

Overall it works good. I bought it when the Hero 3 Black first came out, and I still use it daily. Here's some of the videos I've gotten:

Last edited by Aaron; Sun Aug 20th, 2017 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I run a GoPro Hero 3 Black as my dashcam, and I'm not happy with it. I do not suggest a GoPro as a dash cam. I love the versatility, I also run it on my helmet on the bike, so it's cool to have one camera do both things, and rotate between any of my cars. I also like that I can remove it. For example when I got rear ended, I lifted the camera from the mount and held it in my hand when I first spoke with the girl. So if she changes her story later, admits shit, looks/sounds drunk, or goes crazy bitch on me it's all caught.

You don't need a rear facing camera, only front. If you get rear ended, it's nearly impossible for it to be your fault, unless you deliberately caused it, IE cutting someone off and brake checking. A front facing camera will show the impact, and you doing nothing to cause it. I've got a video below of me being rear ended.

But now for all the things GoPro SUCKS at:

1) They overheat if they are in sunlight and recording, and then shut down. I have mine in a skeleton case, and it still overheats frequently in direct sunlight. Doesn't happen on the bike, just the car.

2) The camera is buggy. It will randomly turn WiFi on and off frequently. I have it set on 1 push, where 1 button push turns the camera on and starts recording, but this often times doesn't work. The camera also freezes up and requires a reset every so often.

3) I have a 64 or 128 card in, the biggest you could use for the 3, and it gets me 4.5 hours at 1080. This is fine for me, but the auto-looping feature does not work. I even bought the special SD card made specifically for GoPro and the fucking auto loop still doesn't work. I have to delete media every 4.5 hours, which blows.

4) Like said before, the camera records in increments. So a 1 hour video will be broken up into 4 video files. This means you have to use video editing software to put them together if by chance you have an incident happen exactly at the cutoff. This is all fine, unless your computer is older than circa 2017. Then it won't have the processing power to edit 2 videos at once using GoPro Studio.

Overall it works good. I bought it when the Hero 3 Black first came out, and I still use it daily. Here's some of the videos I've gotten:

What a minute now, so you're telling me that the GoPro is not the end all, be all of recording equipment, i.e. the camera that does it all and then some with sprinkles and frosty flakes on top?? Guess, I've been gettin lied too...

Dude, this is not going to make GoPro Police happy at all. GoPro Police hears you saying these sorts of blasphemy about GoPro, you're gonna hear about it. You just committed the ultimate sin my friend.

I do have a real question though for you. Why do the newer Hero cams break everything down into 4 segments of video for a 1 hours video?? I've got the Original Hero(yeah I know, it's old) and I've managed to go over 30 minutes a couple times for track sessions and when I would get home the cam had them all listed as individual videos and not broke down into smaller segments. So if I only did three or four sessions and filmed them, then I'd only have the same amount of videos on the GoPro. Most of the time, I'd just edit them down to show only track footage and omit the b.s. in the pits, out lap and in lap stuff.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

On a side note, I successfully reformatted my SD card into ntfs or exfat, I think exfat, either way not old as shit Fat32, and it still breaks the videos up and still won't auto loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    On a side note, I successfully reformatted my SD card into ntfs or exfat, I think exfat, either way not old as shit Fat32, and it still breaks the videos up and still won't auto loop.
    You guys should join the GoPro police force. We get special cameras. I don't have any of the problems you described...
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    You guys should join the GoPro police force. We get special cameras. I don't have any of the problems you described...
    Thus sayeth the god of GoPro, so let it be written, so let it be done...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Thus sayeth the god of GoPro, so let it be written, so let it be done...
    I've had a Contour HD for years and used it for snowboarding and riding. They do sell a dash mount

http://contour.com/

Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I've had a Contour HD for years and used it for snowboarding and riding. They do sell a dash mount

http://contour.com/

That's a nice rig. I think there are a host of options out there, just depends on the individual's specific needs.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    What a minute now, so you're telling me that the GoPro is not the end all, be all of recording equipment, i.e. the camera that does it all and then some with sprinkles and frosty flakes on top?? Guess, I've been gettin lied too...

Dude, this is not going to make GoPro Police happy at all. GoPro Police hears you saying these sorts of blasphemy about GoPro, you're gonna hear about it. You just committed the ultimate sin my friend.

I do have a real question though for you. Why do the newer Hero cams break everything down into 4 segments of video for a 1 hours video?? I've got the Original Hero(yeah I know, it's old) and I've managed to go over 30 minutes a couple times for track sessions and when I would get home the cam had them all listed as individual videos and not broke down into smaller segments. So if I only did three or four sessions and filmed them, then I'd only have the same amount of videos on the GoPro. Most of the time, I'd just edit them down to show only track footage and omit the b.s. in the pits, out lap and in lap stuff.
    I do believe it's for editing. most videos edited from very large clips. those large clips can be a bit of a bitch when you start loading and unloading them in editors. at least back when I playing with my videos. haven't done one in a long time. maybe I'm wrong. probably wrong.