Thread: HWY Shoulder Legal Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: HWY Shoulder Legal Question

It IS safer though. It's like airplanes. Yes, emotional monkey brain sees a million pounds of metal hurling through the air at 475 mph and says, "bad, not safe, will fall and die", but in actuality, it's much safer than driving a car. Similarly, monkey brain sees motorcycle lane splitting, "objects too close together, will crash and die," but really the reduction in fatalities from getting crunched between two cars in a rear end collisions in stop and go traffic outweighs the minute amount of accidents caused by lane splitting and is actually safer overall than not splitting.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't do it, but it's silly to stop others from doing it out of irrational fear.

Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    It IS safer though. It's like airplanes. Yes, emotional monkey brain sees a million pounds of metal hurling through the air at 475 mph and says, "bad, not safe, will fall and die", but in actuality, it's much safer than driving a car. Similarly, monkey brain sees motorcycle lane splitting, "objects too close together, will crash and die," but really the reduction in fatalities from getting crunched between two cars in a rear end collisions in stop and go traffic outweighs the minute amount of accidents caused by lane splitting and is actually safer overall than not splitting.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't do it, but it's silly to stop others from doing it out of irrational fear.
    Exactly.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by 07D675CO View Post
    Exactly.
    Blaahahaha.. So he makes a decent comparison of lane splitting to airplanes?

I will take that same great example for the noobs and raise them this simple part. Airplanes are all monitored by a "traffic controller". Without someone sitting at the desk and telling these there would be crashes almost every day. At almost every airport. Making driving a car safer. There is a ton that goes into aviation. Its not like street traffic where just about anything and everything can happen.

If you are paying proper attention to your surroundings you will NEVER get smashed in traffic by that car behind you. Just won't happen. Its called knowing how to ride and situating yourself for an escape route. Simple as that. Head should always be moving. You should always be watching 360 degrees.

It is far easier to react to a car coming in hot behind you than car changing lanes when you're just feet away. Can't go left.. Can't go right. Can't stop in time. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Blaahahaha.. So he makes a decent comparison of lane splitting to airplanes?

I will take that same great example for the noobs and raise them this simple part. Airplanes are all monitored by a "traffic controller". Without someone sitting at the desk and telling these there would be crashes almost every day. At almost every airport. Making driving a car safer. There is a ton that goes into aviation. Its not like street traffic where just about anything and everything can happen.

If you are paying proper attention to your surroundings you will NEVER get smashed in traffic by that car behind you. Just won't happen. Its called knowing how to ride and situating yourself for an escape route. Simple as that. Head should always be moving. You should always be watching 360 degrees.

It is far easier to react to a car coming in hot behind you than car changing lanes when you're just feet away. Can't go left.. Can't go right. Can't stop in time. Done.
    I really meant his last sentence. I should have just quoted that I suppose. I lane split for years every day to and from work in CA with never an issue because I'm not an idiot. If you do it safely there really is no additional risk to that already taken on by riding a bike to begin with. For people that don't have a lot of experience doing it to say anything negative about it is BS and they just need to keep their uninformed opinions to themselves.

Gold Member

For people that don't have a lot of experience doing it to say anything negative about it is BS and they just need to keep their uninformed opinons to themselves.

Care to elaborate further?

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Care to elaborate further?
    What I am saying is if you have not done it for any period of time then you can't know what you are talking about. Would you take the word of a soldier returned from Afghanistan on how dangerous it was over there or some second hand account I gave you having never been there? Clearly the soldier would know what he is talking about while I wouldn't.
    Last edited by 07D675CO; Wed Aug 13th, 2014 at 08:10 PM.

Gold Member

What I am saying is if you have not done it for any period of time then you can't know what you are talking about. Would you take the world of a soldier returned from Afghanistan on how dangerous it was over there or some second hand account I gave you having never been there? Clearly the soldier would know what he is talking about while I wouldn't.
    So I'm guessing you're referring to me with those comments?