Thread: Any time you think you have it bad..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Re: Any time you think you have it bad..

Quote Originally Posted by DavidofColorado View Post
    No offense to you Ralph, but times are hard for a lot of people here and I am not going to feel guilty because I don't feel bad for them. I am a few dollars away from homelessness as it is.
    The illusion between 'Middle Class', 'Poor' and 'Homeless' is thinner than most people think.

Of course, it's too scary for most of those same people to think that they could lose everything and become poor or homeless, so it's natural to go hug your Escalade and use it to reassure yourself that you are, in fact, rich and you're nothing like those (filthy) poor people. It's not a criticism, per se, it's an observation of American life and the power of denial and greed.

-=-
    However, all of that merely reinforces my opinion: Fuck Africa, Save America First.

I honestly am far less affected by their plight than I am at our domestic mess. I can't believe that we allow our own citizens to live in conditions just like those in Africa--we're not some poor country with a collapsed socio-economic system, we're not in a continually ongoing civil war, we're not in Mugabe's country, were here, in the USA, and yet we have starving people, people without proper medical care, and people on the streets.

And, before I ever helped anyone overseas, I think we ought to turn our attention to those fellow Americans who need our help:

Salvation Army Turns Away Families Needing Food
    DENVER (CBS4) ― The Salvation Army says this is one of the toughest years when it comes to donations. In the past two months, it has had to turn away about 360 families needing food because there hasn't been any.

Donations are always tight around Christmas, but the Salvation Army says it has always had a little something to give. The food boxes it has been able to give away have been downsized, only lasting the families a couple of days rather than several like they used to.

"I need food, even help with getting around because I don't drive," Denver resident Ramona Martinez said. "There are places that give out tokens for the bus, but even those are getting scarce, so I find myself doing a lot of walking."

Also, people who are educated and who had good jobs have been showing up in need of help; people who have never used the Salvation Army before. Most have lost their jobs and haven't been able to find new ones.

Donations are also down 30 percent this year.

"I believe it is the economy, the news, people are holding back, waiting to find out," Major Neal Hogan with the Salvation Army said. "Some have been directly affected, other people are wondering how it's going to effect them. So there's this little side step of uncertainty."

The Salvation Army has teamed up with King Soopers for the month of December. Those who wish to donate can make cash donations by the bell ringers or food donations in the big barrels at the stores.

"People are trying to figure out how much they can help. We've had people step up and say, 'Now don't worry, we want to help, but we don't know how much just yet,'" Hogan said. "They're having to look at their portfolios and their finances before they can make decisions."

http://cbs4denver.com/local/salvation.army.donations.2.882930.html
    So, if you have the means, and you're feeling generous and/or can put off that $7 Starbucks, why not help someone over here (possibly right in Denver)first?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Re: Any time you think you have it bad..

The reason we don't hear much about Africa is because it is not our theater of operations. If falls under the UK for assistance. Watch BBC sometime and you will see tons of stories about how bad things are there. It is a whole country, with the most natural resources in the world, and some of the worst conditions for their people.
    13 BMW F800GS, 01 Suzuki DRZ 400S
    "It's not about the destination. It's about the ride"
    www.colorado2wheels.com

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregs04wrx View Post
    The reason we don't hear much about Africa is because it is not our theater of operations. If falls under the UK for assistance. Watch BBC sometime and you will see tons of stories about how bad things are there. It is a whole country, with the most natural resources in the world, and some of the worst conditions for their people.
    You must have attended the same school as Sarah Palin.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    LOL, I think that was his point.

VFR's comment about taking his kids down to volunteer is a great life lesson to give a child.
    Teaches them about community service as well as what can happen to any one of use under bad circumstances.

I've been homeless and hungry before.
    It built a hell of a lot more character in me than being fat and happy ever did.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    I've been homeless and hungry before.
    It built a hell of a lot more character in me than being fat and happy ever did.
    Likewise.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

cheap shot.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    cheap shot.
    Hey furball. Go turn on Glenn Beck --- You'll be fine after a dose of Beck.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Hey furball. Go turn on Glenn Beck --- You'll be fine after a dose of Beck.
    Go turn on commie news network and get your obamanation fix.

Look he's taking a crap & they're covering it! ooooohhhh! /sarcasm.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Sorry, I dont have college....

13 BMW F800GS, 01 Suzuki DRZ 400S
    "It's not about the destination. It's about the ride"
    www.colorado2wheels.com

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregs04wrx View Post
    The reason we don't hear much about Africa is because it is not our theater of operations.
    Yeah, the last time we went there to help I recall Blackhawks being shot down and people dragging the bodies of U.S. soldiers through the streets with everyone cheering them along. It's one reason why we didn't do anything when genocide was happening in Rwanda. I agree with Jeff about Mugabe. He needs to be hung by the neck, along with a bunch of others of his ilk throughout the continent.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Yeah, the last time we went there to help I recall Blackhawks being shot down and people dragging the bodies of U.S. soldiers through the streets with everyone cheering them along. It's one reason why we didn't do anything when genocide was happening in Rwanda. I agree with Jeff about Mugabe. He needs to be hung by the neck, along with a bunch of others of his ilk throughout the continent.

Dirk
    I disagree...Mugabe needs to die alone in a puddle of his own waste, in a cell too small to lie down in, preferably after being tortured to the edge of insanity.....much like he has had done to countless others. One of my good friends was in Somalia as a Marine, circa 1992. His opinion: Nuke the whole fuxin country and start over. Zimbabwe is even worse in terms of corruption.

</hijack>
    In response to Ralph's statements, I couldn't agree more. I have been very fortunate in the last year, and I am doing my best to pass some of that good fortune along. I wish all of you a happy and healthy holiday season, and a prosperous new year!
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    I disagree...Mugabe needs to die alone in a puddle of his own waste, in a cell too small to lie down in, preferably after being tortured to the edge of insanity.....much like he has had done to countless others. One of my good friends was in Somalia as a Marine, circa 1992. His opinion: Nuke the whole fuxin country and start over. Zimbabwe is even worse in terms of corruption.

</hijack>
    In response to Ralph's statements, I couldn't agree more. I have been very fortunate in the last year, and I am doing my best to pass some of that good fortune along. I wish all of you a happy and healthy holiday season, and a prosperous new year!
    If I were runnin the show you'd be Secretary of State.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Honestly, unless it's a natural disaster, I refuse to donate anything to foreign countries. Yes, even Italy. Sorry. There's too many sick, starving, and dying people right here at home. You know, where WE are citizens? I TOTALLY agree with Dirk's comments about when we went to africa to help, and had our soldiers bodies desecrated and dragged thru the streets. I'm not interested in sending any help to people like that, thanks, especially at the cost of our soldiers. While I feel for the plight of those people, I don't see that they will ever become a civilized nation NOT hell-bent on slaughtering and enslaving their own people, so I see all that as wasted effort.

Here's a charity worth donating to:
    https://www.fightforthetroops.com/donate.asp

These people are getting crippled and injured for US.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)