Thread: PMP 4/26 Races or Track Day

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: PMP 4/26 Races or Track Day

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    All it takes is one person to contest the waiver. Even in cases with an assumption of risk, "reasonableness" is the key word. In that contest, all it takes is for the plaintiff to argue that their incident was not considered a reasonable risk within the context of the activity and they will have grounds for suit. Is it a reasonable risk that oil/coolant may be present on the apex of turn 4? Is it unreasonable to expect the track ownership to have staffed a corner-worker there to warn riders of the danger? It all depends on what the judge deems "reasonable". It would be foolish for any party to presume that a waiver of liability is a cut-and-dry exemption from any and all conditions of culpability.
    I think a judge or jury would have to weigh all sides of evidence. On one hand, I agree with you. Oil slicks or coolant leaks should be addressed.

But I would say, that level of expectation is probably reserved for a specific event. A race, I agree completely. Corners workers, safety personnel and ambulance should be present. It's a racing event and expectations are higher. However, on just a normal track day, one could speculate on the amount of attendants or attention a track should receive. Open lapping days are more relaxed and people aren't in competition. Things can happen at track days but then again, anything can happen to you when you walk out the door of your home.

In my opinion, when it comes to Open Lapping track days at PMP. You should show the utmost diligence and ride within your own limits. Open lapping isn't about racing, it's about improving as a rider and enjoying the day at the track. I think if more people could get that through their thick heads, then track days would become safer because people wouldn't be pushing their limits.

The way I look at it, when I'm doing an Open Lapping track day. I'm riding to have fun and improve as a rider, slowly and lap by lap. I'm not paid to race or win races. So I'm not going to push past my limits to ride on the ragged edge. Honestly, I wouldn't ride on the ragged edge even in club level racing. Unless I'm a professional racer where someone else is footing the bill, then I'm not risking everything for nothing. Yeah if there is a nice fat paycheck involved, then I'll go to hell and back for my team. If I'm the one who's doing all the maintenance, pays for everything, then I'm going to take it nice and easy and have fun. I'll work on being a better rider and care less about setting record laps.

When riding at the track, it's all relative what's important to you.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Re: PMP 4/26 Races or Track Day

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I think a judge or jury would have to weigh all sides of evidence.
    They never make it in front of a judge or jury.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach