Thread: Students file complaint against CU for campus gun ban

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Students file complaint against CU for campus gun ban

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    All churches have individuals whose duty is to protect the worshipers from harm. While they may not be trained police or carry weapons as in smaller churches, ushers are trained to deal with disruptions in a basic way. In the larger churches, they often use off-duty officers for pay or for volunteer as their commitments to their churches.
    I go to First Pres of CS. It is a very large church and security is lowkey but present. Some of the security is for the health issues of the elderly or to help the homeless that wander in for breakfast. This is a necessary part of the service in these days and times.
    As far as churches asking for money....duh, how do you suppose the mortgage and salaries of these people happen?

I have three nieces and nephews at UF where firearms issues have occurred. You don't give kids more to carry than they are capable of carrying.....and as someone who is around teens everyday, believe me when I say Ninja is right on this one...they don't even need water pistols.

But who will protect the children from the PRIESTS???
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Pandora-11

Quote Originally Posted by puckstr View Post
    But who will protect the children from the PRIESTS???
    A valid question....but minor in the scheme of the larger question of safety. You are truly safe no where....part of living...and unfortunately dying.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

You are truly safe no where....part of living...and unfortunately dying.
    Which is precisely why law abiding citizens should never be denied their right to self-defense.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Pandora-11

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Which is precisely why law abiding citizens should never be denied their right to self-defense.

Dirk

Exactly..and I would agree with you, but not in the hands of babes. They aren't any more able to handle this than a 5 year old. Is Metalord the only one here who makes any sense on this issue?

Exactly..and I would agree with you, but not in the hands of babes. They aren't any more able to handle this than a 5 year old. Is Metalord the only one here who makes any sense on this issue?
    ...you do realize that I'm advocating that the guns be allowed on campus if the student has a CCW permit, right?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Pandora-11

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    ...you do realize that I'm advocating that the guns be allowed on campus if the student has a CCW permit, right?
    I'm running back and forth on my laptop...so...nope, missed that part.
    Thought you were advocating college students were too young.
    Back to rereading I guess.
    My bad.

Ok...you don't have any sense on this either.

21 year olds are not "babes." They are adults and should not have their rights violated because others might break the law.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Pandora-11

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    21 year olds are not "babes." They are adults and should not have their rights violated because others might break the law.

Dirk
    Not for violating the right to bear arms for a 21 year old...just not on a college campus....for the same reason you are searched at the airport, concerts,etc. The very nature of the campus life is justification enough....situations CAN be heightened very quickly in this unique atmosphere. As an instructor, I don't want my students in my room carrying guns...period.

Not for violating the right to bear arms for a 21 year old...just not on a college campus....for the same reason you are searched at the airport, concerts,etc. The very nature of the campus life is justification enough....situations CAN be heightened very quickly in this unique atmosphere. As an instructor, I don't want my students in my room carrying guns...period.

If the firearms are properly CONCEALED you will never know they are there.
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

The problem with this analogy is that unlike a concert or the airport, not everyone on a college campus is searched. There are not metal detectors on every entrance to every building and walking paths through campus are not secluded from the rest of the world.

At an airport, once you pass a certain point, no one is armed (unless a screener didn't do their job properly). On a college campus, you have to deal with people who may or may not be present for the purpose of learning or even because they belong on campus.

Also, you called 21 year olds babes. At what point does someone become an adult capable of making, in your opinion, proper and reasonable choices? At 21 friends of mine were in foreign countries carrying machine guns protecting entire populations from dangerous elements. At 21 people can vote. At 21 people are most of the way through college and are expected to be gearing up to join society in a productive manner.

So they can help decide who runs the country, they can die for that country, they can be sought after as the next members of productive society, but they can't be trusted to be responsible in their own self defense?

Not for violating the right to bear arms for a 21 year old...just not on a college campus....for the same reason you are searched at the airport, concerts,etc.
    If everyone were searched before being allowed to enter a secured campus, you might have a point. As it is, the law abiding will be disarmed, the criminals know they will face no resistance for who knows how long until the police arrive, assess what's going on and neutralize the murderer. You end up with events like the Virginia Tech, Nothern Illinois, L’École Polytechnique,... massacres.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Under Colorado law, they could legally prevent the carriage of weapons simply by installing metal detectors in all of their buildings. Under those conditions, carrying a concealed weapon would be illegal. But the University doesn't stop with concealed carry. They prohibit the possession of ANY weapon(including mace or tear gas), anywhere on campus, including a locked vehicle, dorm room, etc. Do you think there might be a reduction in the number of sexual assaults at CU Boulder if the potential rapists knew that a significant chance of being shot in the attempt existed?

In reality, a gun is the only "equalizer" that is truly effective for a smaller, weaker victim against a larger, stronger attacker. No matter how well trained a 5 foot 6, 120 pound woman is, a 6 foot, 200 pound man that is even slightly trained and determined will be able to subdue her.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I'm not advocating that every student be allowed to carry, I'm just of the opinion that persons that have already undertaken the training and qualifications to exercise their effective right to self defense should be allowed to do so without arbitrary regulations imposed by the university. University policy is based on a formal opinion by one Ken Salazar that his interpretation of the law allowed them to regulate the possession of weapons, even though the Supreme Court had already ruled that state law concerning the issuance and validity of CCW permits superceded city and county ordinances. To wit: A CCW permit issued by any county is valid in all areas of the state, except as specifically prohibited by state or Federal law.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

AKA "Devaclis"

Is the only reason he makes sense because you think he is agreeing with you?

I see how this works.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Pandora-11

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Is the only reason he makes sense because you think he is agreeing with you?

I see how this works.

Ha....no...his arguments are at least reasoned and he is making a case for a position I might be convinced of.

I can believe in bacon.....You guys are too funny.

Good debate though.

If it's properly concealed, take it where ever you want!!

My wife can't even have her's in the car in the parking lot at her work, let alone up in her office. We look at it this way. If she has to use it in her office and gets fired, at least she's alive!! That's all we're worried about!!

Once again, if it's properly concealed, take it where ever you want!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M