View Poll Results: Which of these, offered on some sort of trial basis, would entice you to try racing?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's all got to be free

7 18.42%
  • The $/lap has to be close to a track day's ratio

11 28.95%
  • I can afford the price of one track day to find out

11 28.95%
  • Other (please describe)

9 23.68%

Thread: What would get you onto a race grid?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: What would get you onto a race grid?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    But I'll probably only run classes that have the fewest people. NOV U seems like a "rite of passage," but lining up on a 40 person/2 wave grid intimidates the shit out of me. I'm most likely to do endurance or sportsman to get my feet wet.
    I have proposed a restructuring of the novice classes to deal with this very issue. The idea is to have Nov-A, Nov-B and Nov-C instead of Sportsman, Nov-U and Nov-O and have lap time limits for Nov-A and Nov-B, like is currently done for Sportsman. The slowest riders would be eligible for Nov-A, faster riders for Nov-B and the fastest for Nov-C. Slower riders could ride in the faster classes if they wanted to.

I think this makes much more sense for the novice classes than doing them based on engine displacement, since lap times at this level are much more dependent on the rider than the bike. I'm curious what you and other potential new racers think of the idea.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I have proposed a restructuring of the novice classes to deal with this very issue. The idea is to have Nov-A, Nov-B and Nov-C instead of Sportsman, Nov-U and Nov-O and have lap time limits for Nov-A and Nov-B, like is currently done for Sportsman. The slowest riders would be eligible for Nov-A, faster riders for Nov-B and the fastest for Nov-C. Slower riders could ride in the faster classes if they wanted to.

I think this makes much more sense for the novice classes than doing them based on engine displacement, since lap times at this level are much more dependent on the rider than the bike. I'm curious what you and other potential new racers think of the idea.

Dirk

This sounds like an awesome deal, as me and my big bad 750 get walked all over by Randall and his dirty girl...rider skill is the determining factor at this level far more than displacement.

Sign me up! And I may take you up on your offer Dirk...haha. word on the street is that you may know a bit about a 7fiddy

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    This sounds like an awesome deal, as me and my big bad 750 get walked all over by Randall and his dirty girl...rider skill is the determining factor at this level far more than displacement.
    Only if I can keep from losing my nuts…

MRA Racer No.427

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Only if I can keep from losing my nuts…

I miss my nuts!!! I miss mah dirty dirty. She was sooo dirty, but soooo fun too. Hey Randall, trade ya motors eh? (say yes, say yes)
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    Sign me up! And I may take you up on your offer Dirk...haha. word on the street is that you may know a bit about a 7fiddy
    All I've ever raced are bikes in the 750-850cc range. And yep, bring 'er over and we'll get 'er all set up to make Ray-Ray happy.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Bueller is correct about crashing...and if you are not willing to light your bike on fire tomorrow than racing isn't for you. But you (Bueller) pushed my buttons with the stab at Chuck! I have raced with Chuck close for years and never had an issue. Bueller you seem a little negative towards the MRA but hey talk is cheap if you were worth a sh!t you would be out at the track instead of acting like you are something!

Jeff

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by MRA 927 View Post
    Bueller is correct about crashing...and if you are not willing to light your bike on fire tomorrow than racing isn't for you. But you (Bueller) pushed my buttons with the stab at Chuck! I have raced with Chuck close for years and never had an issue. Bueller you seem a little negative towards the MRA but hey talk is cheap if you were worth a sh!t you would be out at the track instead of acting like you are something!

Jeff
    Jeff,

Dave raced in the MRA in 04/05 and actually went around pretty well.

s

Quote Originally Posted by MRA 927 View Post

Jeff
    He took both of us out ridin' a little too close, which ended up pretty much totaling my race bike. I am not impressed with his technique.
    I just gave him the warning, like others gave me, albeit after the fact.
    Maybe he has changed his style in the last few years.

I have raced at several levels and disciplines over many years, I am presenting the non-MRA side of racing, something people should consider. I am not negative toward racing, I liked racing, but this has turned into a pledge drive to recruit everyone and anyone with promises of glory. Just because I present a shot of reality doesn't make me unpatriotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    He took both of us out ridin' a little too close, which ended up pretty much totaling my race bike. I am not impressed with his technique.

I have raced at several levels and disciplines over many years, I am presenting the non-MRA side of racing, something people should consider. I am not negative toward racing, I liked racing, but this has turned into a pledge drive to recruit everyone and anyone with promises of glory. Just because I present a shot of reality doesn't make me unpatriotic.
    In my measly 3 years of racing I have crashed probably a dozen of times. The most expensive part I ever had to replace was a lower triple, and an attack rearset. Saying that you need to be willing to toss your bike in the dumpster and walk away is a little extreme. Even after the crash at the last race which resulted a bike catching on fire after a hard spill, it still wasn't a total loss.

Should you be prepared to crash, absolutely. Will a crash leave you with a bike that is not worth a penny, never that I have seen.

Racing is expensive and its not for everyone. Some people do better carving the canyons, hitting local trackdays, or keeping it in the dirt. To each their own. We (the MRA) are obviously trying to recruit more riders. I dont see a problem with trying to expand an amazing club. I also dont see any brainwashing BS telling people that racing is for everyone. It costs money and requires dedication and passion to compete at any level, in any sport.

So yeah crashing is possible. And yes, racing is expensive. Does everyone "wad their shit". I would have to say no on that one.

Bueller, if the MRA isn't for you then why so many negative comments in the MRA section of this forum?
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    Bueller, if the MRA isn't for you then why so many negative comments in the MRA section of this forum?
    I was wondering when one of the MRA members would play the "negative" card. I am not negative, I am presenting the other side, the realities of racing. It isn't your speel so you take it as an attack against your organization. I tell people the good and the downsides of things when I sell something. You guys are taking care of all the positive points, I am just presenting the other side from someone who has been there. If you all want to get butthurt over it so be it.

talk is cheap if you were worth a sh!t you would be out at the track instead of acting like you are something!
    But what the hell do I know, since I am not a racer, I am not worth a shit

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post

I have raced at several levels and disciplines over many years,
    so if you have so many levels and diciplines under yer belt then how did someone "ridin a little too close" cause you to wad your bike up?

VANMAR!!!!
    Bridgestone Tires
    www.fastermotorsports.net
    www.youngbloodracing.com
    www.chicanetrackdays.com

Erik Cromer |MRA #611

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post

Dirk
    Nice, idea..
    Working your way up a ladder is much easier than jumping to the top of a building.
    1. Track Days
    2. Super Street Bike Class
    3. Novice A
    4. Novice B
    5. Novice C
    6. Etc…

MRA Racer No.427