View Poll Results: What is keeping you from racing?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awareness: What! I can race a sportbike in CO?

1 1.22%
  • Desire: Not interested (enough to prioritize it)

7 8.54%
  • Preparedness - ability: I'm not fast/safe/etc. enough

4 4.88%
  • Preparedness - equipt: I don't have the gear or bike for it

10 12.20%
  • Ongoing Cost: Can't afford entry, tires, gas, etc.

54 65.85%
  • Other: Please explain

6 7.32%

Thread: What is keeping you from racing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: What is keeping you from racing?

I will be starting racing next year. I graduated from college recently and moved out here without knowing anybody and just got a decent job. I don't make that good of money yet but I have a good bike with track body work on it that is dependable that will be track only starting this winter. I have a 2 piece suit and bike stands.

One of the main reasons I have never raced before this is lack of funds for ongoing costs. The other reason is the paddock in most other places seems very pretentious and not very friendly. Only one track I have been to where I truly felt like it was a group event of people having fun. I know I can't cast judgment when I have not been in the race scene here but it is something that worry's me.

I need warmers, EZup, TIRES!, borrow some generator plug ins and I am ready to go. Do I need to upgrade my suspension? When does the season start next year? Also I am completely solo in this so if anybody wants to "take me under their wing", it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by vort3xr6; Mon Sep 14th, 2009 at 04:00 PM.

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post

One of the main reasons I have never raced before this is lack of funds for ongoing costs. The other reason is the paddock in most other places seems very pretentious and not very friendly. Only one track I have been to where I truly felt like it was a group event of people having fun. I know I can't cast judgment when I have not been in the race scene here but it is something that worry's me.

I need warmers, EZup, TIRES!, borrow some generator plug ins and I am ready to go. Do I need to upgrade my suspension? When does the season start next year? Also I am completely solo in this so if anybody wants to "take me under their wing", it would be greatly appreciated.
    Vort

First thing...ever since I began racing I have always found the people in the MRA to be very approachable and easy to get along with...except that Racedk6 guy.....he is a dick. However, you do need to realize that people do take it seriously and sometimes get wrapped up in there own day and its problems. But everyone there is more than willing to lend a hand you just have to realize what is going on with them first.

Do you "need" to upgrade your suspension...no. Is it a mod that will show positive results .. yes. So that is up to you

Normally the "season" starts with the race school which is held in March. The first race is normally at the end of April or beginning of May. However, don't expect the dates to be released until late fall early winter.

In terms of some one showing you the ropes...normally I put together a "intro to roadracing clinic" in Feb or March of every year. I have been asked to coordinate more than one and to schedule something along the lines of one this fall, mid winter and early spring. But usually after that there are several people looking to "buddy up" so keep your ears open

In the meantime if you need questions answered please let me know I will help out were I can

Joe

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

Quote Originally Posted by jplracing View Post
    Vort

First thing...ever since I began racing I have always found the people in the MRA to be very approachable and easy to get along with...especially that Racedk6 guy.....he is an awesome guy and a great racer. However, you do need to realize that people do take it seriously and sometimes get wrapped up in there own day and its problems. But everyone there is more than willing to lend a hand you just have to realize what is going on with them first.

Do you "need" to upgrade your suspension...no. Is it a mod that will show positive results .. yes. So that is up to you

Normally the "season" starts with the race school which is held in March. The first race is normally at the end of April or beginning of May. However, don't expect the dates to be released until late fall early winter.

In terms of some one showing you the ropes...normally I put together a "intro to roadracing clinic" in Feb or March of every year. I have been asked to coordinate more than one and to schedule something along the lines of one this fall, mid winter and early spring. But usually after that there are several people looking to "buddy up" so keep your ears open

In the meantime if you need questions answered please let me know I will help out were I can

Joe

Awww thanks Joe
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing
    Fay Myers Motorcycle World

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    I will be starting racing next year. I graduated from college recently and moved out here without knowing anybody and just got a decent job. I don't make that good of money yet but I have a good bike with track body work on it that is dependable that will be track only starting this winter. I have a 2 piece suit and bike stands.

Best thing you can do is watch the http://www.mra-racing.org/ website and post up on there as well. The MRA is like a big family with this being my first year racing ever i was a little worried about this as well. But I got a welcome from alot of people and my "race" family grew every weekend.

Warmers you can get used for pretty good prices. EZup you can get almost anywhere just price shop. Tires run take offs, you can get them from trackside vendors or just about any MRA racer. Dont forget to get a transponder, you need one of those to be scored.
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing
    Fay Myers Motorcycle World