Thread: FAA announces that ALL unmanned R/C aircraft have to be registered

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: FAA announces that ALL unmanned R/C aircraft have to be registered

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
    As I understand it, it's effectively $5 per pilot regardless of how many aircraft. Anything that is remote controlled and over half a pound is included, planes, gliders, multicopters, etc. The fee will be waived for the first month, but you have to register every three years.
    Finally, someone read the link.
    The whole thing is stupid and pointless. First off, when Congress passed the FAA Modernization and Reform Act it included a "Special Rule for Model Aircraft" clause that should prevent the FAA from making rules or regulations about hobby / recreational model aircraft. That didn't stop them though, the FAA released their 'interpretation' where they think they can, so that is currently tied up in court. Assuming the original act is upheld, the FAA has no authority to implement this.
    Stupid? Pointless? You do know we are talking about our government?!?
    Second, so most of the legal aircraft will have a number written on them. I'm SURE anyone who plans to break the law or just fly irresponsibly will have their number displayed, they wouldn't not display or even display a number registered to someone else. Also, if one is involved in an accident or worse, what's the likelihood the number survives?
    When I get home, I'll post some crash pics of 1/4 scale (big) planes. You'll be amazed at how much survives.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Re: FAA announces that ALL unmanned R/C aircraft have to be registered

If you spend a bit of time on youtube and similar, you can find videos that start to show the altitude and range.

There are also videos just made to showcase altitude etc, lots of people claiming 'records'. Unfortunately these people are contributing to the increased regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    When I get home, I'll post some crash pics of 1/4 scale (big) planes. You'll be amazed at how much survives.
    I agree if they just crash by themselves. One scenario people like to throw around is being sucked into a jet engine, pretty sure the number isn't likely to survive.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760