Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: You might be a winter rider if...

Re: You might be a winter rider if...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    It is closer than you think. Here's a quote from another thread.
    I saw that too... Man, we must be crazy for riding all year. And it was 37 and riding into a cloud/sleet/snow on Cottonwood sat... It was actually fun.. I'm losing it.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    I saw that too... Man, we must be crazy for riding all year. And it was 37 and riding into a cloud/sleet/snow on Cottonwood sat... It was actually fun.. I'm losing it.
    I was looking at those clouds to the west when we got to Fairplay... I kind of wish I had continued on, but glad I didn't... if that makes sense.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    I was looking at those clouds to the west when we got to Fairplay... I kind of wish I had continued on, but glad I didn't... if that makes sense.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the west
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

In my thoughts I have seen
    Rings of smoke through the trees
    and the voices of those that stand looking

/Jimmy Page

We now return you to your normal thread...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I think everybody just views it differently. For some people, motorcycling is a hobby. For others, it's a hobby that they are passionate about. And for some of us, it's a lifestyle. All levels of enjoyment with motorcycles are completely valid, at least to me. As long as it's above 30 and there is no ice or snow, I'll be on my 950, that's just the way I'm programmed.

You did Cottonwood Pass, on your Kawi, in the rain?

I think everybody just views it differently. For some people, motorcycling is a hobby. For others, it's a hobby that they are passionate about. And for some of us, it's a lifestyle. All levels of enjoyment with motorcycles are completely valid, at least to me. As long as it's above 30 and there is no ice or snow, I'll be on my 950, that's just the way I'm programmed.

Some bikes are also better suited to being all-year bikes than others.

So, you can claim it's passion, but it's not, many of us are very passionate, and we've been caught in snow/sleet/rain/hail, but it's not exactly fun to do on the bikes we have.

If I had a KTM, I'd be more inclined to ride all year round than I am on my CBR with 5% tread void super-sport/trackday tires...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I have to disagree with you on this one. I was the same way when I had my R6 and CBR1k. I always rode my R6 year round. I took my poor old R6 (RIP) on more dirt roads than most people take their dual sports. Some sport bikes are actually nicer for cold weather commuting than my 950Adv is, there are more fairings to hide behind and the wind flows over the top of you.

And if you read it again, I'm saying that there are a lot of very passionate riders, but the people that never put their bikes away for winter, make riding a lifestyle, not a seasonal sport. Between passion and lifestyle, one is not better than the other, they're just different. You're spinning my comments to be negative, when that was not their original intention.

Between passion and lifestyle, one is not better than the other, they're just different. You're spinning my comments to be negative, when that was not their original intention.
    Then that's my bad, but it sounded like (or I read it as) lifestyle was "superior" to those who have a passion but "dabble" in riding as opposed to riding year-round.

I rode my F4 year round, but it was a paid-off POS worth about $1, my CBR is too precious to me (when it works) to risk in winter driving, (until it's paid off--then it'll be just like my F4).
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

So, you can claim it's passion, but it's not, many of us are very passionate, and we've been caught in snow/sleet/rain/hail, but it's not exactly fun to do on the bikes we have.

If I had a KTM, I'd be more inclined to ride all year round than I am on my CBR with 5% tread void super-sport/trackday tires...
    I'd rather have your CBR for winter riding than my 919. If you put some nice Sport Touring tires on like Micheline PR2s or PR3s I think you might find riding year round quite enjoyable. Not sure why any one (unless you live in the mountains) would put their bike up for the winter in CO. You can ride year round along the front range.
    2007 Honda 919 aka CB900F/Hornet
    1981 Kawasaki GPz550
    1967 Norton Atlas

So... maybe that's why we chose them?

And while some bikes ARE better at this...
    Spooph and Bob (and others) have proven that a Sportbike does a fine job year round.

The dirt was mud, so we only went to the top and turned around. Marge isn't equipped for that much ADV stuff, lol. If it wasn't snowing/raining, we would've gone up to Crested Butte and around through Gunnison.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

AKA "Devaclis"

I rode my CBR in some shit my DRZ can barely make it through. Until this year I did not own a vehicle other than a bike. Suck it up, get good at it, love it, or park your bike in the garage for 6 months out of the year. I don't care.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    So... maybe that's why we chose them?
    Actually, I have no idea if my bike is good in winter, I only got it in April. heavy bike, high center of gravity, it may suck. Oh well, we'll find out.
    The dirt was mud, so we only went to the top and turned around. Marge isn't equipped for that much ADV stuff, lol. If it wasn't snowing/raining, we would've gone up to Crested Butte and around through Gunnison.
    And to think, I almost had respect for you!

If you get a chance, Co Rd 742 from Taylor Park to Almont (on the west side of Cottonwood Pass) is a really nice, paved road. East of Taylor Park it's not paved anymore, but it's nice scenic ride.

Actually, I have no idea if my bike is good in winter, I only got it in April. heavy bike, high center of gravity, it may suck. Oh well, we'll find out.
    And to think, I almost had respect for you!

If you get a chance, Co Rd 742 from Taylor Park to Almont (on the west side of Cottonwood Pass) is a really nice, paved road. East of Taylor Park it's not paved anymore, but it's nice scenic ride.
    Thanks......... and yeah, I'm gonna hit that area next summer, in the dry preferably.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

Ok Spooph, it has begun... (SO FREAKING EARLY!)

You might be a winter rider if...
    - You look forward to the fall/winter because you don't end up sweating your balls off since you're smart enough to ATGATT.
    Last edited by Joe; Fri Sep 23rd, 2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Too annoyed to put together an intelligent sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    - You look forward to the fall/winter because you don't end up sweating your balls off since you're smart enough to ATGATT.
    +1 - I love the lower temps so I can wear some cool (but very warm) gear...

you're a winter rider if:
    - you get excited at a 20 degree drop because of the extra performance the bike has in the thicker air. This MIGHT only apply to smaller displacement motos....
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

AKA "Devaclis"

1. Because there are less riders on the road.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

13 BMW F800GS, 01 Suzuki DRZ 400S
    "It's not about the destination. It's about the ride"
    www.colorado2wheels.com

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Swift's Avatar

You might be a winter rider if someone mistakes the icicles hanging from ur nose as fangs.
    2003 BMW R1150R - For Sale - PM for details
    2007 BMW 328Xi Coupe - The Cage

The taillights looked like a Cruiser, but it was too far ahead for me to see this morning to be sure.

He made me feel very much like a weenie.

I wish I could buy that guy a beer.

If you rode today; it must be hard to sit down with balls that size.

there are things I will risk...but riding today on race take-offs is not of of them...I did pedal bike it, however...

If you rode today; it must be hard to sit down with balls that size.

It was hard to sit down, or traverse stairs, or just walk. I hit the ground three times on the way to work in the morning, the last one really hurt my legs (knee cap). I had to walk the WR across some intersections and up hills because it was so slippery. But I made it there, then I made it back.

The funny thing is, I took a video of it all but deleted it when I got home because it was kind of sad, seeing the bike go down like that over and over again .

I am willing to go up against new snow (crazy me), but I won't do it again with the current BT-090 supermoto tires.

Still kind of bummed about getting defeated by snow on pavement, even if it was heavy. Oh well, next time I'll win... even if it is just snow .
    Doc, riding IS my physical therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by duelist13 View Post

Still kind of bummed about getting defeated by snow on pavement, even if it was heavy. Oh well, next time I'll win... even if it is just snow .
    BTW Supermoto bikes really really suck in snow and ice. I would have told you this if you would have asked.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

I Played in it once and got away with it once but in the end when you get cocky Ice will win!