Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast

Thread: Students file complaint against CU for campus gun ban

Re: Students file complaint against CU for campus gun ban

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    What does that listing have to do with CCW being allowed at CSU? I cannot make the connection. The ONLY thing I can think of is the fact that all of those crimes were comited with guns and CCW holders MIGHT have guns with them. Is there info on weather or not any of the 16,13,15,18 year old kids had a CCW? Of oucrse not, they can't. What about the adults?

While informative, I thik that post was kind of useless in the argument for or against allowing CCW at CSU.

(wow, look at Dana trying to keep shit on topic!!)
    :insert cat with gun photo:
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Pandora-11 : Interesting... My wife recently had a situation with a former employee at her company making threats to come "shoot the place up" She was so freaked out, she wanted to learn to shoot as well. Low and Behold her Bday came around and what do you think she asked for as a gift? yup her very own hand gun.

Funny thing is she is better than me and I have been shooting since I was ~10 years old..haha
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
    Pandora-11 : Interesting... My wife recently had a situation with a former employee at her company making threats to come "shoot the place up" She was so freaked out, she wanted to learn to shoot as well. Low and Behold her Bday came around and what do you think she asked for as a gift? yup her very own hand gun.

Funny thing is she is better than me and I have been shooting since I was ~10 years old..haha

Most Women are better shoters. I never figured that one out, but BRAVO

AKA "Devaclis"

Machine gun jubblies
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by zetaetatheta View Post
    My point is schools are one of the safest places your kids could ever be, even safer than home. I'm not the only teacher that would charge a gunman either. I've been in harm's way and stared down the barrel of a gun, I know how I would react--do you? Other than shitting your pants.
    One of the basic tenets of self defense is: How do I neutralize the threat to my life and the lives of those in my care, in the most effective manner?

Charging the gunman, even en masse, while undeniably noble, is NOT the most effective defense. Most likely, you will be injured or killed. Dead people are not capable of defending anyone still among the living. Given a choice, I would much rather be a live hero (like the lady in the church in CS), rather than a dead one.

Is charging the assailant preferable to cowering in the corner? Yes. Is having a responsible adult that has the training and discipline to obtain a CCW permit better? In my opinion yes.

As The Black Knight noted, the role of the CCW permit holder is not to protect everyone else. It is to provide effective SELF defense. Anything else places them in a position of extreme liability. If a crazed gunman on campus is a direct threat to me or someone in my care, I would not hesitate to neutralize the threat. The fact is, the police are not an effective deterrent to these types, there simply are not enough of them. CCW holders may not represent a deterrent to these psychos, but they represent a possible deterrent to deadly assaults, armed robberies, and rapes.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    I think most teachers become teachers because of their love and willingness to be there for kids. I haven't really ever been in front of a gun. In fact I've rarely even seen one up close. They've never been part of my world. I'd like to think I'd take a bullet. I've certainly held kids throwing up on me without flinching, jumped in front of cars to push them out of the way, faced down abusive parents, but in the end what I'd do is an unknown. In a kidnap situation, I know I'd take a child's spot. Hope it never happens, but it is the world we live in.
    On a second note, daughter came home from CU yesterday. She mentioned the 6 sexual assaults not a result of intoxication. She said apparently an older man is assaulting girls from the campus. She carries the same pepper spray that i carry on her key chain, but she has also been trained to take down an assailant. Her boyfriend has taken her to shoot at a gun club. She wonders why we don't have a gun and would like one as she is off campus. Boy!! This really throws off my theories. She just asked for a gun for Christmas. What a dilemma....We talked about not having it on campus and she is agreeing with those of you wanting concealed guns on campus. geezzz....
    We will go shooting over the holidays.
    Now for home protection I have a pump shotgun and all know how to use it. Plus you only gotta be close.
    About school, I'm at middle school and I do believe as one gets older the teachers are less caring. I do not know a middle school teacher, or elementary teacher that would not protect their students. High school, well that maybe another matter. Anyway tempers flair over guns, politics and religion, but we all have something in common, we are motorcycling enthusiasts and all have our pissy moments, after all we are american's and have that right. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night....Beer's on me

Machine gun jubblies

I like women of that CALIBER

I think most teachers become teachers because of their love and willingness to be there for kids. I haven't really ever been in front of a gun. In fact I've rarely even seen one up close. They've never been part of my world. I'd like to think I'd take a bullet. I've certainly held kids throwing up on me without flinching, jumped in front of cars to push them out of the way, faced down abusive parents, but in the end what I'd do is an unknown. In a kidnap situation, I know I'd take a child's spot. Hope it never happens, but it is the world we live in.
    On a second note, daughter came home from CU yesterday. She mentioned the 6 sexual assaults not a result of intoxication. She said apparently an older man is assaulting girls from the campus. She carries the same pepper spray that i carry on her key chain, but she has also been trained to take down an assailant. Her boyfriend has taken her to shoot at a gun club. She wonders why we don't have a gun and would like one as she is off campus. Boy!! This really throws off my theories. She just asked for a gun for Christmas. What a dilemma....We talked about not having it on campus and she is agreeing with those of you wanting concealed guns on campus. geezzz....
    A bit of advice: Have her take a handgun safety course specifically for women (usually taught by a woman as well). It will allow her to learn in a very nonthreatening, noncompetitive environment. Start her shooting with a .22, or even an air pistol, so that she develops good habits, not bad ones. I'm still fighting my wife's bad shooting habits, because her ex "taught" her to shoot with a .44 Magnum.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Pandora-11

If that is the case why is the health board and the police not over there right now? Did you call the cops? If my daughter told me that about ANY place she had been you can bet your ass I would not take it lightly.

She hasnt BEEN there. Just word on the street. She has no interest in going there. Geez.....

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    A bit of advice: Have her take a handgun safety course specifically for women (usually taught by a woman as well). It will allow her to learn in a very nonthreatening, noncompetitive environment. Start her shooting with a .22, or even an air pistol, so that she develops good habits, not bad ones. I'm still fighting my wife's bad shooting habits, because her ex "taught" her to shoot with a .44 Magnum.

Agreed. She has shot my .45 and 9mm and hated it. She has also shot a .38 and .25. Currently she has a Walther P22 and can "shoot the wings off flies" with that one. Hell I thought the .45 was ridiculous and got rid of it. Thought it better to be smaller and accurate than big and noisy.

I think Women have more patience with guns. My wife seems to take he rtime a bit more and make each shot count. Im more of a pop pop pop shooter. Maybe thats why women are better ?? Either way, Im proud and hell its fun to wake up on a Sat morn and be able to share in some quality time together killing paper men.

Back on topic: I think this will be a discussion and issue for many years to come. The sad fact is it will most likely come to Gov. intervention.. and we all know how that will turn out.

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
    Agreed. She has shot my .45 and 9mm and hated it. She has also shot a .38 and .25. Currently she has a Walther P22 and can "shoot the wings off flies" with that one. Hell I thought the .45 was ridiculous and got rid of it. Thought it better to be smaller and accurate than big and noisy.

I think Women have more patience with guns. My wife seems to take he rtime a bit more and make each shot count. Im more of a pop pop pop shooter. Maybe thats why women are better ?? Either way, Im proud and hell its fun to wake up on a Sat morn and be able to share in some quality time together killing paper men.

Back on topic: I think this will be a discussion and issue for many years to come. The sad fact is it will most likely come to Gov. intervention.. and we all know how that will turn out.
    My lady ROCKS with the P22 I got for her. I loke it but it is too small for my hands.

if somebody wanted to shoot up a campus I doubt that they would go through the steps of obtaining a concealment license.IMO If they are going to ban firearms, then they must place armed guards in every building. If you think that is being paranoid.....then why have fire alarms? That could be considered being paranoid as well.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

If someone wanted to shoot up the Boulder campus.......I'd probably let 'em.......
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

You can rent pistols at many ranges around town. Depending on where your at. You daughter sounds very cool. Good for her.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    If someone wanted to shoot up the Boulder campus.......I'd probably let 'em.......

Me too. I am good shot but I can't hit boulder from here. Maybe if someone had some mortar shells I would help.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

What does that listing have to do with CCW being allowed at CSU? I cannot make the connection. The ONLY thing I can think of is the fact that all of those crimes were comited with guns and CCW holders MIGHT have guns with them. Is there info on weather or not any of the 16,13,15,18 year old kids had a CCW? Of oucrse not, they can't. What about the adults?

While informative, I thik that post was kind of useless in the argument for or against allowing CCW at CSU.

(wow, look at Dana trying to keep shit on topic!!)
    I made my point in the post... it's probably more common than people might think. I doubt most of the people in this thread, had any idea that there were THAT many shootings in the last 12 years.

And it's relevant, because people keep bringing up school shootings, and how much it really happens(or doesn't).
    Your grammar makes my head hurt.

1994 YZF750R

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

Also please keep an open mind about it, you may find that you like it too. As you never really been around guns.

Tyrel
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Frank --- U R such a thinker.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

A Nice little article for the CCW license protector side: For some reason I cant stop laughing.... Am I an A-hole.... Strike that dont answer.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=8100189&version=6&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:

BOOYA!

"I think in this particular situation, it would be a clear example of someone exercising their rights to protect themselves under the law," Capt. A.D. Sanson said.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

If someone wanted to shoot up the Boulder campus.......I'd probably let 'em....... but don't you DARE f#ck with my bro Jeff!
    Fixed it for ya N_N!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

This is a moot argument.
    Guns don't work in Boulder....constant daisy jams.

Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

I would think the dope smoke would obscure your vision as well...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Here is a story about a real "sounding" Coloradian. Not one of the California transplants.

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...ON04/812230301
    I was excited as I headed toward the bus stop. My dad was coming from downtown Denver on the 5:15 and he was bringing home "our" Christmas present. We had been saving our quarters, dimes and nickels so we could get a new .22 rifle. I could see my dad making his way past the other passengers with a Winchester .22 pump in his hand. It was beautiful. We were still saving for a proper case, so he was carrying it openly.
    As we walked up the block to our house, we talked to several neighbors as they admired our new rifle. We lived in a densely populated part of east Denver, so we had to wait until the next day to drive to the outskirts of town and shoot, but it was worth the wait. I still own and love that beautiful little gun.
    What would happen today if my dad had gotten on an RTD bus in the middle of Denver with a rifle? I can only imagine how many SWAT teams would be involved.
    Our attitudes toward firearms have changed through the years, and those changes are not making us safer. In fact, the opposite is true.
    It is irresponsible that the faculty council at Colorado State University wants to ban individuals who legally carry concealed weapons from doing so on campus.
    Don't they remember what happened at the New Life Church in Colorado Springs last year?
    A nut case with a gun came into the building after shooting several people in the parking lot and could have easily murdered dozens more if an armed church member had not been able to shoot him first.
    Those who obtain a concealed carry permit are subject to a background check and required to take a gun safety course.
    Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden and other law enforcement officials monitor those who have permits and will not hesitate to revoke one if the holder is not acting responsibly. There is little to fear from an armed law-abiding citizen and much to gain when they use their weapons to protect themselves, their families and even the rest of us.
    Recently in India, where they have some of the strongest gun control laws in the world, a few dozen terrorists killed or wounded almost 500 people. By the time the commandos responded, the terrorists were holding hostages and had already done most of the killing.
    No wonder Mahatma Gandhi once said, "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest."
    It was illegal for the terrorists to have guns, but they just didn't want to follow the laws.
    In case you wonder what bad guys think, consider this statement by Sammy "The Bull" Gravano, Mafia hit man, "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."
    Many have been brainwashed, by those who want us to fear guns, into thinking that making laws against carrying (and even owning) guns will stop violence.
    If laws made a difference to lawbreakers, there would be no crime - after all, it is against the law.
    John Clarke writes a monthly Community column. He s a former Larimer County commissioner and former City Council member. Send e-mail to Opinion@coloradoan.com.