Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please RIDE SAFE!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Exclamation Please RIDE SAFE!

At this morning's CDOT/CSP Motorcycle Safety news conference, we learned that 2008 set an all-time record for motorcycle fatalities in Colorado, at I believe 98 deaths. The season hasn't even really gone full swing yet and there are already 14 this year.

Channel 7 News was there filming, and Mike Landess was one of the speakers so I am hopeful it will be aired this evening and help raise some awareness to cagers as well, but the issue is shared by both riders and cagers alike, so please THINK about what you're doing out there! So many wrecks could be avoided with some situational awareness and knowledge of how to handle the bike. And on that note...

ABATE is starting up an MSF-sanctioned, sportbike-specific advanced rider course that I think will be very beneficial; Terry will be posting up details on that separately, but they are going to also be giving CSC a big discount to get signed up for the upcoming class in May. I'm also hoping to incorporate these training opportunities into more CSC-related events in general, but this will be the first chance to check it out and give them good feedback. I also spent a while this morning learning more about the class (and will be again in the next couple weeks) and it should really be a useful thing.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Re: Please RIDE SAFE!

Did they have a breakdown of the fatalities, such as age, type of bike etc…?

MRA Racer No.427

thanx for sharing.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Good deal Ralph. Thank you.

Also, if it airs tonight, can somebody record it?

I hope it's a safe summer for every one.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Did they have a breakdown of the fatalities, such as age, type of bike etc…?
    I too would be interested in the specifics. Though the message is certainly received!

Yes, the average experience level of the riders would indicate whether things like riding courses do save lives. I would suspect that the majority of the fatalities were from those who only had the basic course and never took an advanced course of riding.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Squisha View Post
    I too would be interested in the specifics. Though the message is certainly received!
    +1 and +1

My thoughts were how many of those fatalities were due to people seeking relief from the pump and buying bikes as a means for more economical transportation. I keep thinking about that guy on the scooter how died last year at Parker & Quincy. Did they include scooters in the statistics?

I think a SB specific MSF course is a great idea. Very obvious when I jump on my Dad's VTX and instantly hit the rev limiter.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

07 GSXR 750
    07 GSXR 600 (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    My thoughts were how many of those fatalities were due to people seeking relief from the pump and buying bikes as a means for more economical transportation. I keep thinking about that guy on the scooter how died last year at Parker & Quincy. Did they include scooters in the statistics?
    AFAIK scooters are not included. That's a whole other group of dead people. Also the stats you seem to be after (i.e. "why do you ride") are not collected, so no there are no answers there.

From the 9News article:
    "Officers say almost 70 of the riders killed in fatal crashes in 2008 were not wearing a helmet or wearing it incorrectly; 34 percent were under the influence of alcohol; 39 percent did not have a motorcycle endorsement and the rider was at fault in about 80 percent of crashes."

Also the CDOT rep commented on the age groups; the 45+ group represents the highest number of deaths, BUT the 18-35 group was increasing the fastest of them all. It's impossible to read the "why's" into just that information so I won't even try, but it's interesting information nonetheless. I don't know if they currently keep statistics on types of bikes in crashes. I owe the CSP bike unit captain a phone call, so I will ask him more about it later and see what I can determine (or maybe this is something they can add).

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

According to the article…
    70 were not wearing a helmet or wearing it incorrectly.
    33 were under the influence of alcohol.
    38 did not have a motorcycle endorsement.
    78 the rider was at fault.

MRA Racer No.427

Good post Ralph!

I'd love to take another class. You can never have to much education when it comes to riding. And wear the gear people!

Unforutnately that sounds like a high proportion of these fatalities came from the cruiser community as many of the over 45 group tend to prefer cruisers (with helmets optional) to sportbikes. Either way, we all need to watch our asses out there because awareness is priceless and you can't plan for stupid.

Ralph, details on the course would be helpful so please sticky that thread when it comes out. Have you heard much about it? At which skill level will it be aimed (i.e. mid level rider, novice who's gotten some miles since the BRC, high experience, etc.)? While I still benefited a great deal from the Experienced Rider Course that several of us took part in last year, the entire course was basically the BRC but on my bike. Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

This is misleading. However all motorcycle deaths are sad, the fact is the PERCENTAGE of fatalities is falling. 2008 also reported a record number of bike regs. in CO. Still be safe and watch ur butt.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Unforutnately that sounds like a high proportion of these fatalities came from the cruiser community as many of the over 45 group tend to prefer cruisers (with helmets optional) to sportbikes.
    Perhaps, though I'm hesitant to assume. Also the quickly rising 18-35 group suggests the trend may be shifting.

Ralph, details on the course would be helpful so please sticky that thread when it comes out. Have you heard much about it? At which skill level will it be aimed (i.e. mid level rider, novice who's gotten some miles since the BRC, high experience, etc.)? While I still benefited a great deal from the Experienced Rider Course that several of us took part in last year, the entire course was basically the BRC but on my bike. Thanks!
    I will definitely sticky it. It's an advanced course that will cover more techniques specific to sportbikes and geared towards the way they handle. Green novices will likely not get as much out of it, though as long as you're comfortable with riding the bike it should be fine. I'll post up more about the actual curriculum once I've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009RavenR1 View Post
    This is misleading. However all motorcycle deaths are sad, the fact is the PERCENTAGE of fatalities is falling. 2008 also reported a record number of bike regs. in CO. Still be safe and watch ur butt.
    There's nothing misleading about it. The number of dead motorcycle riders on the highways this year is the highest on record, which is what I posted. I don't care if we had a higher number of regs or not, the fact is we also have the most advanced gear and the best rider training available to us that we ever have, which means the message isn't getting out as much as it should. Rider-induced wrecks/deaths happen because of stupidity, ignorance, or apathy, nothing more. With the resources available to riders these days, less people should be dying plain and simple.

than sincere ignorance

Excuse me, 16 deaths so far this year.
    http://www.9news.com/news/local/arti...4329&catid=346

than sincere ignorance

The message must be getting through... A SMALLER PERCENTAGE of deaths have been occurring since 2002.

This is really great message and I won't ride unless wearing a helmet and protective gear. Not only would someone i know not let me ride with them unless geared up but personally I wouldn't even try it without gear.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009RavenR1 View Post
    The message must be getting through... A SMALLER PERCENTAGE of deaths have been occurring since 2002.
    114 people didn't get the message since Jan 1st of last year. I'm not trying to split hairs with you on this, and I see your point. Mine though is that percentage notwithstanding, the quantity of dead people in bike accidents is going up, so something is not happening here.

than sincere ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    114 people didn't get the message since Jan 1st of last year. I'm not trying to split hairs with you on this, and I see your point. Mine though is that percentage notwithstanding, the quantity of dead people in bike accidents is going up, so something is not happening here.
    Yeah, but you can guarantee the quantity of riders has gone up too. You can't look at just quantities for that stuff. There's more riders, which inevitably leads to more accidents and deaths. You have to look at the ratio of riders to deaths, not just deaths this year vs deaths last year. Hell, even the population of our country has gone up, which leads to more drivers, which can ALSO lead to more motorcycle deaths.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

The good news for CSC is that even for total newbs like me, unschooled in the art of motorcycle riding, and approaching the ride, that you all have done a more than adequate job of making it clear that equipment is necessary and not optional. That alone should make you all proud of the fact that you reduce deaths everyday for even the most casual potential rider who tunes into the forum. I say "Good work".
    How many Harley riders zip up and down Hwy 24 on a daily basis without helmets?
    They obviously are not getting the word out.
    Last edited by Pandora-11; Thu Apr 23rd, 2009 at 04:34 PM.

It's all just statistics. Depending on how you look at the data you can draw different conclusions. The underlying fact is that riders are still dying, regardless. The military has stepped up with their sport bike program on bases, for that I applaud their attempt to be proactive. Perhaps it's time the civil side took notice. We've already had a few of our own post up about crashing this season.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Here's the Colorado Statistics
    this site is very informative, I've used it as a reference for my term paper on motorcycle helmet use:
    http://www.dot.state.co.us/trafficsafety/most/stats.cfm
    Last edited by MikeG; Thu Apr 23rd, 2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add link
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Perhaps, though I'm hesitant to assume. Also the quickly rising 18-35 group suggests the trend may be shifting.
    Interesting info.
    Thanks for taking your time to participate and post this thread.

Since you might be calling the csp anyways.
    Could you request for them to break the age groups up a bit. A 35 year old shouldn't be compared with the maturity of a 18 year old.
    Maybe 18-24 and 25-35 would be a better breakout than their current system.

Just a thought...
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    Could you request for them to break the age groups up a bit. A 35 year old shouldn't be compared with the maturity of a 18 year old.
    Maybe 18-24 and 25-35 would be a better breakout than their current system.
    +1
    that is a terrible way to break down age groups, I've thought the same exact thing as I've been working on my term paper. The breakdown you suggested would be a more appropriate way to determine trends.
    Mike