Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Ever Had a Dog Diagnosed with Bone Cancer?

Anyone Ever Had a Dog Diagnosed with Bone Cancer?

Wondering if anyone has ever had a dog that got bone cancer. My 10 year old English Bulldog had a swollen leg and I thought he just sprained it playing, but vet says it is bone cancer and fatal. I could get his leg amputated, but with him being 10 years old (English bulldog lifespans are 8-10) it probably isn’t worth it as already all over inside….overall the surgery may only add 4 months they say anyways. So now he is just on pain pills and trying to keep him comfortable until his times comes. I have no idea how long he will last so thought maybe others have went through this too

P.S. F*ck cancer…..lost my 31 year old friend to Melanoma a few years back…RIP….Tony!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Re: Anyone Ever Had a Dog Diagnosed with Bone Cancer?

Lost one of my GSDs last year to aggressive bone cancer. 9 days and she was gone. Fuck Cancer. Sorry to hear about your boy Nate.

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    Lost one of my GSDs last year to aggressive bone cancer. 9 days and she was gone. Fuck Cancer. Sorry to hear about your boy Nate.
    Sorry I suck at acronyms....is that a German Shepard?

Damn bro, 9 days is crazy, but everything I have read is this type of cancer is very aggressive. Well he got diagnosed on Thursday and so far he is ok, just sleepy and not able walk well....his mind is fine so far.

Just not sure what I am in store for, but for sure I'll put him down before I let him suffer. I saw what it did to my human friend and was so scary...never knew cancer could advance so quick!

Thanks man...overall I have to be happy he lived to 10 years old and try to remember the good times....

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Dang.... sorry to read this news Nate.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Sorry I suck at acronyms....is that a German Shepard?
    Yup, German Shepherd Doggie.

Gotta echo the F*CK Cancer. Wasn't bone cancer but lost a dog to lymph cancer last year. Was caught at a regular check up/vaccinations. Wasn't acting different so wouldn't have caught it at that stage otherwise. She was fairly happy another few months on steroids. Hard knowing they're going though.
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.” Pirsig

I am so sorry to hear this Nate, and one more F*CK Cancer! I lost both my parents to cancer but they had fortunately lived (mostly) full lives, 64 and 71

Sorry to hear about your boy, Nate. F*CK cancer. We've lost a couple of ours to tumors too, it's not fair. We just took out a large lump from the abdomen of our labby. They (dogs) take pain and cancer so stoically.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

So sorry to hear about your furkid...they really are family members.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Thanks guys......so far he is ok other than limping and sleeping a lot, but we will see how it goes.

Sorry to hear about your guy's loss too...so sad

Had to put my pup down a little over a year ago due to cancer... Sucks, plain and simple.

Came home from a business trip and she had a huge swollen eye... Thought maybe a bee sting, tried drugs and it got better for a bit, then much worse. They wanted to remove her eye, but couldn't offer any sort of opinion whether or not it would fix the problem. I sought out other opinions, but came back to the same conclusion. 11 years isn't abnormal for a lab. I've seen anywhere from 9-15. Still hurts.

Sorry to hear.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Had to put my pup down a little over a year ago due to cancer... Sucks, plain and simple.

Came home from a business trip and she had a huge swollen eye... Thought maybe a bee sting, tried drugs and it got better for a bit, then much worse. They wanted to remove her eye, but couldn't offer any sort of opinion whether or not it would fix the problem. I sought out other opinions, but came back to the same conclusion. 11 years isn't abnormal for a lab. I've seen anywhere from 9-15. Still hurts.

Sorry to hear.
    Yeah similar to me, noticed one day his leg was swollen and thought a sprain….nope cancer. They said we could amputate his leg, but same as you it could not guarantee it would even help as usually when there are already signs (swelling/tumor) it has already got into their lungs as this is where this cancer tends to go….then chemo. I’ve got a bunch of opinions too and most are saying to just let him live out his days as he is because a few people did the surgery and some didn’t make it through surgery and some felt it made the dog more miserable. Again weighing option and 10 years is really good for a bulldog. I know if it were me I’d rather just go than spend months miserable and in pain…….

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

sorry to hear Nate
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Yeah similar to me, noticed one day his leg was swollen and thought a sprain….nope cancer. They said we could amputate his leg, but same as you it could not guarantee it would even help as usually when there are already signs (swelling/tumor) it has already got into their lungs as this is where this cancer tends to go….then chemo. I’ve got a bunch of opinions too and most are saying to just let him live out his days as he is because a few people did the surgery and some didn’t make it through surgery and some felt it made the dog more miserable. Again weighing option and 10 years is really good for a bulldog. I know if it were me I’d rather just go than spend months miserable and in pain…….
    Well... it's the worst decision to make as a dog owner. My pup was my rock while I moved all over the country. To make the decision to let her go was the absolute hardest thing I've ever done. Knowing that she was in pain and being strong for me killed me. Taking that pain away was the best thing for her, and eventually for me as well.

It still sucks, a year and a half later, walking through home depot a couple weeks ago, a couple with a yellow lab walked around the corner and I had to walk away because their dog looked a lot like mine.

I do take pride in the fact that I rescued my Bailey Dog when she was a puppy and gave her the best damned life I could. In turn, I got 9 years of unconditional love and a great friend.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Well... it's the worst decision to make as a dog owner. My pup was my rock while I moved all over the country. To make the decision to let her go was the absolute hardest thing I've ever done. Knowing that she was in pain and being strong for me killed me. Taking that pain away was the best thing for her, and eventually for me as well.

It still sucks, a year and a half later, walking through home depot a couple weeks ago, a couple with a yellow lab walked around the corner and I had to walk away because their dog looked a lot like mine.

I do take pride in the fact that I rescued my Bailey Dog when she was a puppy and gave her the best damned life I could. In turn, I got 9 years of unconditional love and a great friend.
    For a few years after my divorce and after my other English Bulldog, Indy, passed all I really had was this dog. I have no family in town so he was also my rock and so many times when I was sad he knew and came and cheered me up. The issue for me is English Bulldogs are super tough so I can’t tell hom much pain he is in because even though he should not be walking on this leg he still does; vet was amazed but said bulldogs tend to be really tough. Just wish he could talk so I knew if the pain is too much because like you I don’t want to put him through that.

Wife bought him a huge meat bone yesterday and he was super happy for many hours with it…..was nice to spoil him and see him so happy.

OMG, your lab was named Bailey! Tell me you have seen (or read) “A Dog's Purpose”. The main dog is a lab named Bailey….well he thinks his name is Bailey, Bailey, Bailey. lol May be hard for you to watch, but I love Bruce Cameron books and have read most his; lots of dog books he has written, but his other books are great as well.

P.S. I’m with you now man and our last two dogs are rescues….I’ll never go to a breeder again after seeing how many great dogs were put down. Bubba was actually a rescue because he had no papers and everyone who wants a English bulldog wants those stupid papers, so they felt he was a waste. Glad I also gave him a good life…..

For a few years after my divorce and after my other English Bulldog, Indy, passed all I really had was this dog. I have no family in town so he was also my rock and so many times when I was sad he knew and came and cheered me up. The issue for me is English Bulldogs are super tough so I can’t tell hom much pain he is in because even though he should not be walking on this leg he still does; vet was amazed but said bulldogs tend to be really tough. Just wish he could talk so I knew if the pain is too much because like you I don’t want to put him through that.

Wife bought him a huge meat bone yesterday and he was super happy for many hours with it…..was nice to spoil him and see him so happy.

OMG, your lab was named Bailey! Tell me you have seen (or read) “A Dog's Purpose”. The main dog is a lab named Bailey….well he thinks his name is Bailey, Bailey, Bailey. lol May be hard for you to watch, but I love Bruce Cameron books and have read most his; lots of dog books he has written, but his other books are great as well.

P.S. I’m with you now man and our last two dogs are rescues….I’ll never go to a breeder again after seeing how many great dogs were put down. Bubba was actually a rescue because he had no papers and everyone who wants a English bulldog wants those stupid papers, so they felt he was a waste. Glad I also gave him a good life…..

For the longest time I thought people thought my dog's full name was "Bailey... yes, I know... a lab named Bailey... She came that way".

Didn't know about "A Dog's Purpose" until the movie came out. Couldn't bring myself to see it as the trailers hit weeks she left. If you've seen Marley and Me? that was my dog... Nothing but fun loving Lab trouble! Maybe it's time to check out this one... I haven't sobbed uncontrollably about my dog dying in a while! HA!

I haven't sobbed uncontrollably about my dog dying in a while! HA!
    I can relate.

For the longest time I thought people thought my dog's full name was "Bailey... yes, I know... a lab named Bailey... She came that way".

Didn't know about "A Dog's Purpose" until the movie came out. Couldn't bring myself to see it as the trailers hit weeks she left. If you've seen Marley and Me? that was my dog... Nothing but fun loving Lab trouble! Maybe it's time to check out this one... I haven't sobbed uncontrollably about my dog dying in a while! HA!
    lol.....the movie and books are in the perspective of a dog, so he thinks since his owner always says his name three times that it is his name. I was very impressed how well the author was able to show the percpective of a dog. There is also a sequel called "A Dogs Journey"; book only. If you like reading, read the books before the movie as so much better.

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/w-bruce-cameron/
    Read all these by him and loved them all:

A Dog's Purpose(2010)
    A Dog's Journey(2012)
    Ellie's Story(2015)
    Bailey's Story(2016)
    Molly's Story(2017)
    Repo Madness (2016)
    Emory's Gift (2011)
    The Dogs of Christmas (2013)
    The Dog Master (2015)
    A Dog's Way Home (2017)

The Dog Master was a excellent book on how they think the dog came to be!

I've seen Marley and Me and such a sad story. I've been meaning to get the book....well I did, but guess I ordered the kids version. The other dog movie (true story) was called "Hachiko" that really got to me.

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    I can relate.
    I won't even lie man....I did the other night. I had a argument with the wife and was sitting there all sad and Bubba came limping over knowing I was sad and I totally lost it how he is there for me, yet he has no clue he is dying. In end he is sick and still is more worried about me
    Last edited by bulldog; Thu Jan 25th, 2018 at 01:38 PM.

Here is my Bubba:

The right upper leg is swollen and guess that is the cancer tumor.

^^ Love it! He looks annoyed that you're taking the pic...

Add "The art of Racing in the Rain" to your list... Amazing read and done from the viewpoint of the dog.

...taken on our last fun outing... Not quite like swimming in the Chesapeake bay, but it worked out all right...

Last edited by salsashark; Fri Jan 26th, 2018 at 08:58 AM.

Salsashark, For some reason I cant view your picture.

hrrmmmmph... google changing sharing capabilities again...

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Here is my Bubba:

Good ol' Bricktop... He's a good dog Nate and annoyed as he may look, I'm sure he wouldn't want to be anywhere else but with you! ('cept maybe playing with Indy). Keep your chin up dude.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson