Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DATE CHANGE - THE NOOB RIDE!!! - Sunday May 17

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

DATE CHANGE - THE NOOB RIDE!!! - Sunday May 17

*****POSTPONED TO MAY 17*****

It's time for the annual noob ride.

For those that don't know, there's a couple of reasons we put this ride on every year:

1) Introduce new members of the club to old members of the club.
    2) Introduce anybody to group riding
    3) Give people that are new to riding the opportunity to ride at their own level and not feel pressured to "keep up". At the same time these newer riders will hopefully learn a little something from the more experienced riders.

Anybody is welcome to join in on this ride, but I'm going to say this several times between now and then. THIS IS A SLOW-PACED RIDE. If you simply can't handle going at or below the speed limit this ride is NOT for you. There will not be slow/medium/fast groups on this ride. All groups will be at a slow pace. Remember the purpose of the ride.

Gear is required! At the minimum you need helmet, jacket and gloves. This includes passengers as well. If you show up with your helmet strapped to the tail of your bike I'm going to ask you to skip this ride.

FOR THE LADIES

Sully is going to lead a ladies only group ( aka the boob ride ) So if you're a bit nervous about being mixed in with all the crazy guys, hit up Sully. Same time, same place.
    ***By no means does this mean you have to, or should ride in Sully's group if you're of the fairer gender. It's only an option.

Details:

Sunday May 17
    Time: Pre-ride at 9:45, leaving at 10:00
    You need to be ready to go before 9:45. That means gassed up and ready to roll. First group will roll out at 10:00am and no we're not waiting for you because you're nursing a hangover or got up late or forgot gas or whatever.

Start: Morrison Conoco (Northwest Corner of C-470 and Morrison Road)
    16283 Morrison Rd, Morrison, CO
    Route: Will be shared with everyone during the pre-ride.
    End: The ride will end at Gibby's in Aurora for the MotoGP event put on by youngblood. More info on that can be found here: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=29966

Please post up if you plan on attending.

I look forward to seeing you all at this!

We'll need several leaders and sweepers as we tend to get over 50 bikes involved in this ride and need to split into groups of about 8. If you can lead or sweep please post up and PM me.

Expectations for leads:
    As a lead it is your job to keep the pace for your entire group. For this ride that will be at the speed limit, not over.
    Passing - Don't plan on any passing for this ride, certainly not any double-yellow passes. On the noob ride each group of 8 or so bikes should remain together.
    Hand signals - Leaders should know basic hand signals for pointing out hazards on the roads as well as directional signals

Expectations for sweeps:
    Communicate with the leader about any problems you see with the group. No jackassing about on this ride, if you see somebody being a jackass then you and your lead should talk to them and let them know their behavior is inappropriate. Feel free to get me or others involved if necessary.
    Keep an eye on the true noobs (i.e. new to motorcycles) and give them advice about their riding.
    You will be one of the first people to a downed rider, or a rider with a mechanical problem. You need to know how to handle that.

Leads/Sweeps:
    Metalord
    Matty
    Carrie
    Jason
    Raparee
    slo1299

Sweeps Only:
    Bandido
    Greg

Pics from last years event (thanks Sue)

More here: http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...view=slideshow
    Last edited by McVaaahhh; Wed May 6th, 2009 at 11:13 AM.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Re: THE NOOB RIDE!!! - Sunday May 3rd

It would also help if you've got your license with proper endorsement and your insurance up to date too.

I'm in Brian. I can sweep for sure, lead if neccessary
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

For those in the Greeley, Loveland, FoCo areas, we'll get something going in a little bit.

In the past, us Northern peeps have met up in a different spot instead of MoCo. For those of us up in FoCo and Loveland, that's a 65-mile ride just to get there going the superslab way...so, we've done our own n00b ride and met up with the southern folks along the way.

If you all are game, then we'll organize the ride for the Northern crew and meet up at Gibby's with everyone else, when we've done our own ride. No one is obligated to meet up with the Northern crew, though.

I'm gonna post up more specifics in the Northern regional forum a little later, but just thought I'd answer a question or two.

Either way, this is a good time.
    Last edited by mtnairlover; Sat Apr 11th, 2009 at 01:59 PM.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Hey all,

I did some "pruning" in here to make the noob ride the highlight of this thread.

For years someone has stepped up and taken ownership of the noob ride and I personally thank Brian for taking it on the last couple of years. That being said, lets not clutter up this thread with random stuff. For that I've created a new thread that should be pretty easy to find.

Thanks

s

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

For the few that may not have read this before, here's a link to "The Pace".
    An article written years ago regarding group ride technique and etiquette:
    http://www.canyonchasers.net/reference/the_pace.php
    (Sorry if it's already on one of the related threads.)

Also,
    Might work to have a Northern/Metro/Southern groups leave from local meeting points and all meet up somewhere west of metro.
    Maybe Blackhawk or Deckers.
    Might be hard to get a decent loop for the metros and still meet up west of town, but just an idea.

Sounds like you'll have plenty of leads/sweeps, but if you come up short let me know Brian.
    Else I'll probably just meet you guys at the mid break area or Gibby's after.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

A REMINDER:

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    For those that don't know, there's a couple of reasons we put this ride on every year:

1) Introduce new members of the club to old members of the club.
    2) Introduce anybody to group riding
    3) Give people that are new to riding the opportunity to ride at their own level and not feel pressured to "keep up". At the same time these newer riders will hopefully learn a little something from the more experienced riders.

Anybody is welcome to join in on this ride, but I'm going to say this several times between now and then. THIS IS A SLOW-PACED RIDE. If you simply can't handle going at or below the speed limit this ride is NOT for you. There will not be slow/medium/fast groups on this ride. All groups will be at a slow pace. Remember the purpose of the ride.
    As Matty said previously, this ride is for those who are n00bs to riding in general, those who are new to riding in the canyons, and those who are n00bs to the board and the group. That said, all are welcome to join, but if you're new to the group then leading or sweeping this particular ride is probably something that you will want to think about next year after we've all had a few more great times together.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

We may have to reschedule this ride due to weather. Right now the forecast for Sunday is for 63 with possible showers. If this changes to the south me may reshedule for two weeks later (5/17). I will make a decision on Friday if the forecast gets much worse, but I'm hopeful that it improves.

Safety is the #1 priority for this ride, and I don't feel that a cold, rainy day with potentially a lot of sand on the roads is appropriate conditions for the Noob ride.

Let me know if you have any questions/concerns.

Thanks,
    Brian
    '02 RC-51 - Street

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

u know if this changes to the 17th i might actually be able to go.
    We are goddesses among men!

New to the club, def in weather permitting

Hey guys, new to the club. Excited to meet all of you, I'm down weather permitting. Here's hoping.

Thanks for the report Matty. I rode it last week and it was fairly clean, except for the section that you mentioned. I think as of right now it's good to go for the noob ride, but we'll see what the weather does.
    '02 RC-51 - Street

~Dave Karlotski

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GixxerCarrie View Post
    Its going to be a little chilly in the canyons...Not only req'd items...but better to layer and unlayer than freeze your ass off. A backlava possibly, glove liners, an Extra layers under your jacket. At 10ish by no means is it going to be high 60's. Especially up there. Sully, TImmay, and I rode to Evergreen the other day and no lie was a little chill.

I'm excited to meet the noobs..and hope you all have a great time!
    Absolutely!! Dress appropriately for sure. Remember guys, it's only April/May. At altitude it gets mighty chilly and quite quickly, especially should the weather change mid ride. cover your ass. Better to shed layers then to need what you don't have. Be thoughtful of Colorado weather.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Re: DATE CHANGE - THE NOOB RIDE!!! - Sunday May 17

***Date has now changed to Sunday May 17. Two weeks later.

I have made this decision for safety reasons only.

I want the NOOBs to have as enjoyable experience as possible and I feel as though adverse weather and road conditions will take away from that.

I apologize to those that may not be able to make the NOOB ride now that it has been rescheduled, however I believe that my decision is in the best interest of the group as a whole. I feel personally responsible for this ride and its participants and want to minimize the risk as much as possible.

Thanks,
    Brian
    '02 RC-51 - Street

~Dave Karlotski

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    ***Date has now changed to Sunday May 17. Two weeks later.

I have made this decision for safety reasons only.

I want the NOOBs to have as enjoyable experience as possible and I feel as though adverse weather and road conditions will take away from that.

I apologize to those that may not be able to make the NOOB ride now that it has been rescheduled, however I believe that my decision is in the best interest of the group as a whole. I feel personally responsible for this ride and its participants and want to minimize the risk as much as possible.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Prolly a good call....sorry I'm gonna miss the 17th
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I can actually go on this now! woohoo!
    We are goddesses among men!

I'm still in for the 17th. Actually works out better for me. As always i can lead / sweep if needed.
    All praise the Snow God, for he let's us Ride!!

Still in for 2 of us on the 17th

Atleast it gives me time to put my bike back together... Round peg goes into square hole...

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I did some pruning again to keep this on topic.

Since the date has changed I figured most of the meet ups and such would change as well. This thread should all be related to the 17th now.

Thanks

Scott

Horsman dude....I'm entirely unsure of what to think about your new avatar and line! lol

Anyhoo... I'll be home for the new ride date - so I'm there! YAY!!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

"some pruning" in the form of 3-4 pages
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I am still in.....

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    I did some pruning again to keep this on topic.

Since the date has changed I figured most of the meet ups and such would change as well. This thread should all be related to the 17th now.

Thanks

Scott
    My requirements for pillion still stand.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I'm there.. again

MRA Racer No.427