Thread: My brakes are in dire need of some help

My brakes are in dire need of some help

It's absolutely ridiculous how soggy the front brakes on my F4i have become. There's still an ample amount of the OEM pads left, but at 22,000 miles with a pretty negligent first owner, I figured I'd give swapping out the fluid a try. Using Motul DOT4 seemed to help for about the first week... now they're right back to where they were before the fluid change.

I'm now beginning to think it's the lines. I just ordered a set of front and rear Galfer stainless steel lines which should be here next week - but I want to eliminate as many variables at once as I can, by also replacing the pads. For a healthy combination of track, street, and canyon riding, what should I be looking at? I know next to nothing about pad manufacturers for bikes.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Re: My brakes are in dire need of some help

Galfer, vesrah, EBC all good. Also, if you dont do a super quality bleed job, the smaller bubbles will rejoin to make big, spongy bubbles later. After a bleed, its a good idea to tie the brake lever shut to force them all together over night, then bleed again. And vacuum bleeders do not do a good job.

Bleeding is the single most important part of a brake system.
    2018 Ducati Panigale V4s -- Stock
    2017 Nissan Titan XD -- Stock
    2009 BMW 135i -- Far from Stock
    1966 Brechcraft Super III Musketeer -- Stock

Thanks, Justin.

I actually used a vacuum bleeder last time, too. The bike is still torn down from the tuneup I am working on, so I'll add re-bleeding to the to-do list today. I just looked at Galfer's green organic pads... $35/pair for front or rear... so a total of about $105. Is that reasonable?
    Chris

There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

We can sell you the front and rear EBC HH pads for $28 per caliper, CSC price. Vacuum bleeders work well enough, but there are some tricks to make them truly effective. Email me directly or call me at 303-216-2400 and I can give you some tips.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I'll give you a call.
    Chris

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Chris, I had the same problem on my F4i. Definitely give Jim a call at TFOG, he'll set ya up right.

A good power-bleed was all mine needed.
    --Brian
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

I will say that Jim is hands-down one of the most helpful people I've ever dealt with at a motorcycle shop. +1!

I've got a new can of Motul DOT4 and EBC pads ready to go on once McCoy Motorsports gets off their ass and sends me my $@%&ing brake lines.
    Chris

Well, screw it... I decided to put the pads on anyway and wait for the better brake fluid till the lines come. And it's a night and day difference after the change... and I think THIS might have something to do with it...
    Chris

Thanks for the pic, mine look very similar a little thicker but still COVERED in carbon. I'm about to change them out for the first time, but don't want to bleed if I don't have too. Took them out last night and couldn't jam the new ones in yet (have another post with details).
    1994 F2 (sold destroyed by friend)
    2001 Yellow GSX-R 600 (SOLD)
    2004 Silver R1
    Meeting Places: http://www.badgerpile.com/motorcycle_maps.html

You'll have to compress the pistons before you can fit a chunkier pad in there.
    Chris