Thread: SLIPPER CLUTCH DO'S AND DO NOT'S

Question SLIPPER CLUTCH DO'S AND DO NOT'S

I JUST PICKED UP A BRAND NEW GSXR K6 AND AM IN THE PROCESS OF BREAKING IT IN. SINCE THIS BIKE IS THE FIRST BIKE THAT I HAVE RIDDEN WITH A SLIPPER CLUTCH ARE THERE ANY PROCEDURES THAT I NEED TO FOLLOW DURING BREAK IN TO NOT DAMAGE THE CLUTCH? ALSO ANY OTHER GENERAL SHIFTING POINTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED (IE DOWNSHIFTING WITHOUT THE CLUTCH.)

THANKS,
    MOTABOY
    "KEEPIN' THE BLACK SIDE DOWN...MOST OF THE TIME"
    2012 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX-10R
    2008 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX-10R
    2005 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX-10R
    2005 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX-6R

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: SLIPPER CLUTCH DO'S AND DO NOT'S

no different than a regular clutch. Just be careful that first time you go into a corner hot.....there won't be as much engine braking as you expect.

Nice bike...have fun and be safe!

Scott

IN REGARDS TO A REGULAR CLUTCH, THE SERVICES TECHS AT THE DEALER SUGGESTED NOT DOING ANY CLUTCHLESS SHIFTS UNTIL THE FIRST SERVICE WAS COMPLETED. ANY TRUTH TO THAT?
    "KEEPIN' THE BLACK SIDE DOWN...MOST OF THE TIME"
    2012 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX-10R
    2008 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX-10R
    2005 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX-10R
    2005 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX-6R

AKA "Devaclis"

[Caps Lock] please
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Caps Lock is cruise control for cool

No matter our intentions, when we kill the innocent, we become the enemy.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by motaboy View Post
    IN REGARDS TO A REGULAR CLUTCH, THE SERVICES TECHS AT THE DEALER SUGGESTED NOT DOING ANY CLUTCHLESS SHIFTS UNTIL THE FIRST SERVICE WAS COMPLETED. ANY TRUTH TO THAT?
    My 06 ZX-10R has a slipper and I wouldn't EVER clutchless shift. Break the bike in and then add a quickshifter (Cordova (sp) or Dynojet) if you want to clutchelss upshift.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by motaboy View Post

That's more transmission than clutch and I'd say it's a good recommendation.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Clutchless upshifts (if you do 'em right anyway), will cause less wear and tear, than a complete engagement/disengagement. Just FYI.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

On the topic of slipper clutches... who makes 'em and where can you get 'em?
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Site Admin

There are several manufacturers, two of the big ones are STM and Yoyodyne, but I warn you, there is nothing cheap about these things. Retail on a decent slipper clutch is about $1000....and that doesn't come with plates (which wear out faster because they slip...)

It's a great tool for the racetrack where you're charging into a corner, waiting till you see god, then banging two downshifts and hitting the brakes. It's "cool" on the street, but very very far from necessary. I would never buy one for my street bike, I'd get 2 sets of tires and pay Dave to set up my suspension instead.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Drop the Honda and get a Kawi, they come standard with slippers now
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    There are several manufacturers, two of the big ones are STM and Yoyodyne, but I warn you, there is nothing cheap about these things. Retail on a decent slipper clutch is about $1000....and that doesn't come with plates (which wear out faster because they slip...)

It's a great tool for the racetrack where you're charging into a corner, waiting till you see god, then banging two downshifts and hitting the brakes. It's "cool" on the street, but very very far from necessary. I would never buy one for my street bike, I'd get 2 sets of tires and pay Dave to set up my suspension instead.

Holy monkey Jesus! Nevermind. I didn't think they were THAT pricey...

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post

My R1 had a slipper also.

But my insurance prevents me from buying anything brand new that even closely resembles a sportbike... so I'm married to this little Honda for quite some time.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    About time they caught up. My 1985 Honda VF1000R has one.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson