Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Drive a Honda Civic not a race car

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

You Drive a Honda Civic not a race car

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=civic

You Drive a Honda Civic
    Not a Race Car

Why are people so obsessed with making their cars look like they're faster than they really are? It's not just Civic owners, it's people with Neons and Hyundais too. They go all out and buy new rims, tint their windows, add fins, paint stripes on their car... why? It's old. You drive a shitty car, deal with it. Mitsubishi Eclipse owners are some of the worst offenders. What's the point of dumping all this cash into modifications when it won't significantly change the performance of your vehicle?

It's ironic that with all the money that these morons dump into modification, they could have saved up and bought a real sports car in a couple of years instead of pretending like they drive one now. It doesn't matter how big your fins are, it doesn't matter how cool your rims look, it doesn't matter how much noise your muffler makes. You still drive a shitty car. Period. End of story.
    The other day I pulled up next to some jackass in an intersection. He started to rev up his engine and roll back and forth. I turned my head towards him, glanced at his car, glanced at him, rolled my eyes and turned back to the road. This pissed off the driver and as soon as the light turned green, he went peeling off. Way to go jackass. Now what did he prove? A) That his car is so fast and powerful, that he can even beat people who aren't racing him. B) That he's a wise investor for buying those rims, because the ones he had just weren't cutting it. C) Those stripes on his car look sharp and hide the fact that it's still just a Civic or D) That he's a dipshit.
    Why didn't I race him? Because I don't drive a sports car and I know it. I could pretend I drive a sports car, just like anyone else. I could put giant fins on my car and pretend it's a jet or whatever the hell they think putting huge fins on a car accomplishes. Or I could quit pretending and just drive my damn car to work and school. Watching people race in Civics is like watching people race in minivans. I suppose the competition is there, but it's anti-climactic, like watching two geriatrics playing golf. It's a race where even if you win, you lose. What's the point of having a fast car anyway? Is there some legal speed that they're trying to reach that they can't seem to do with normal cars? Even if your car can go more than 200 mph, you have to break the law (more often than not) to do so. Way to go dipshit, you spent your life savings on something you can't use. Worthless.
    Last edited by Mel; Fri Sep 14th, 2007 at 02:49 PM.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Re: You Drive a Honda Civic not a race car

Uh he shop down the street from me has a civic hatch back with 700 HP (according to them anyway I havent seen the slips myself). It just looks like a beater civic with a roll cage and a parachute on the back though. No fancy body kits or stripes or nothin. Oh its not street legal either. So I guess bottom line is its a civic "race car"
    Danny

Ouch, I drive a Hyundai.... And am not close to that definition.
    Exterior is stock, under the hood is a different story.

Account Deactivated at users request

"Mitsubishi Eclipse owners are some of the worst offenders. What's the point of dumping all this cash into modifications when it won't significantly change the performance of your vehicle? "

Errr.... I disagree with this statement... 90-99 Eclipses had only 215hp but with very little money (1k - 300hp -25k - 600-1000hp) you could significantly change the performance of your vehicle...

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

[quote=Omni Citadel;219572]"Mitsubishi Eclipse owners are some of the worst offenders. What's the point of dumping all this cash into modifications when it won't significantly change the performance of your vehicle? "

um, lets see i have about 15k in my eclipse, oh and whats that? it ran a 12.7
    Hmm, and i dont have the built motor in it yet. Sigh, its just sitting in my garage waiting for me to put it in the car...

Tyrel
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

All that money spent on a car that everyone has, only to do what everyone has already done.

Way to go.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

ehh, thats the fun of it. Make it your own.

Would it make you feel better when you know that i have a 1966 gto. Oh wait, everyone have old muscle cars too...

Thats why its called a hobby. It something to take your time, something you enjoy. Thats like saying you ride the same bike as everyone else, no big deal. But there's a skill level right? Same idea goes here

Tyrel
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

Quote Originally Posted by t_jolt View Post
    ehh, thats the fun of it. Make it your own.

Would it make you feel better when you know that i have a 1966 gto. Oh wait, everyone have old muscle cars too...

Thats why its called a hobby. It something to take your time, something you enjoy. Thats like saying you ride the same bike as everyone else, no big deal. But there's a skill level right? Same idea goes here

Tyrel

You clearly missed the point.

I understand the fun of making a car your own - but if you're going to do it, do it with a car that you won't see every 3 stoplights. A fully restored and built 1966 GTO, IMHO, is a much better platform for investing your time and money than a DSM.

If you're going to do it, do it with something different. Do it with something rare. For instance, my project car is a 1993 Celica AllTrac that's been aesthetically converted to the GT-Four model, and I will be dropping in my custom, race built 3S-GTE this winter when I have more time and money to devote to the project. Big deal, right? When you consider that Toyota only imported 81 AllTracs into the states that year, it suddenly becomes a rare vehicle right from the get-go. Add to that fact that I know both of the owners prior to myself, and I have a folder full of service records from the day the car was purchased - and it's now a car that has 14 years of documented history. Tell me how many of THOSE you have seen.

I don't understand your bike analogy at all. Please explain how that pertains to the matter at hand.
    Chris

There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Yea, all the "aftermarket" mods out there are just plain burned out, everything is the same, there's nothing unique out there anymore. I wanted to upgrade my 04' Corolla S fully with a sleeper look and some serious engine mods just cause it's something different and mostly here in Colorado but instead I went out and bought another bike and left the Corolla just with the set of lowering springs, tint and a short shifter and still looks better than half the Hondas and such out there with half their retirement money spend on there.... I mean I respect people's choices but there's stuff out there that's just plain outrageous.....
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by 07GixRsix View Post
    Yea, all the "aftermarket" mods out there are just plain burned out, everything is the same, there's nothing unique out there anymore. I wanted to upgrade my 04' Corolla S fully with a sleeper look and some serious engine mods just cause it's something different and mostly here in Colorado but instead I went out and bought another bike and left the Corolla just with the set of lowering springs, tint and a short shifter and still looks better than half the Hondas and such out there with half their retirement money spend on there.... I mean I respect people's choices but there's stuff out there that's just plain outrageous.....

Which is why I didn't spend a whole lot of money on modding my daily driver. The money I DID spend, however, was well spent as it's all mostly comfort shit that makes the car pleasant to drive everyday, makes it look better.
    Chris

Yea, I mean it would've been a great project but it's a Corolla, it's meant to be reliable so just going to keep it that way. I get 40+ MPG with it so I'm not complaining plus I bought the bike for power and great gas mileage too for a fraction of the price. All I'm doing to the Corolla is another set of Altis 2nd LED tails and another 8000k HID kit, possibly some decent and clean looking 5 spoke wheels for the summer but I dk yet since I ride the bike for most of the summer.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

... for the love of all that is decent and holy, don't put gaytezzas on your car.
    Chris

oh no no no, these are ABOVE AND BEYOND altezzas lol. I've never owned altezzas thank God lol.... I had these LED tails on my car before and they look nice, here's a pic of my car with them and the HID kit:

www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Okay. That's actually tasteful.

But that plate frame needs to go.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Aracheon View Post

indeed. that particular frame is FAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Aracheon View Post

But he might have a CAI!!!!

Mmmmm HIDs. Those look quite fancy.

------------------------
    Student Driver Racing / My Little Pony Racing
    Aerobics instructor seeks optical illusion...#502, baby

I'm gonna get some dryer vent tubing and make my own CAI.

Use Sonic ice in there!!!!!

------------------------
    Student Driver Racing / My Little Pony Racing
    Aerobics instructor seeks optical illusion...#502, baby

I find that if you want to get the edge over your opponents you must use the Turbonator in your CAI.

http://www.turbonator.com/WhatIsIt.html

Yea I had a CAI on that but well ended up selling it lol and yes the license plate frame has been gone for a while lol.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

I dont have no crazy body kitted out, huge spoiler, big rims or anything like that but I like hondas, sport compacts, or anything thats fast. i have me a little four banger, Acura Integra with a little bit of nitrous (12.9@110) that has a big trunk that i fill with groceries everyweek. Its by no means fast but pretty quick for an everyday driver making about 75 hp per cylinder. And who cares what these kids are spending thier money on, i'd rather it be thier cars than doing drugs or drinking and having nothing to show for it. Cause we all know thier not going to spend it on something worth wile like investing or anything like that.
    Last edited by Richard; Wed Oct 10th, 2007 at 11:59 AM.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Yeah, I never understood the whole front-wheel-drive-econobox-drag-racer thing.

I'm all for modding your ride and making it your own. I've never left anything I've ever owned stock. But, putting a body-kit, a 3' wing and a fart can on your mom's 10-year old civic hand-me-down does not make for a race car. I was getting gas a couple months ago and this check rolls in with a neon that sounds like my weed-wacker on steroids. I start laughing and some dude walks over to me and says: "You shouldn't laugh, that car's got serious engine work, yada yada yada". All I could say is "Maybe, but it's a fucking neon." No matter how much $$$ you throw at it, it's still an ugly-ass neon.

If you want to make a drag racer at least start with the right platform. I'm not talking import vs. domestic, but I've never met a real racer that will agree that transfering weight away from your drive wheels in a drag race is a good thing.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

I don't try to make fun of Hondas or anything because there's some cars out there that are pretty nice and well put together although we know there's just some that are way OVERDONE and all but the general Honda driver that installs just a CAI just goes nuts thinking they got power and go out racing the whole world..... it's just stupid, it's about having the right mentality.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Yeah, their are plenty of import guys that do the whole, intake and it's suddenly a race car with bragging rights on power. Unfortunately, there are just as many domestics that are the same, they get an exhaust and they magically unlocked 500hp.

The good thing - In each group, there are those that are serious about going fast, building cars, whether for straight line or turning. These people are easy to tell from the rest.