Thread: Fork seals blown - what to replace?

Fork seals blown - what to replace?

So after my last track day at Pueblo, Pilot pointed out to me that my suspension has become a little tired. (The bike has damn near 30k on the clock, and I bought it in April of 07 with 16k.) Ignoring the rear for the moment, not only do I have a blown fork seal in the front, but even on the hardest preload setting, the front compresses WAY too easily.

Is this something where I would be better off buying new forks, or replacing the seals and trying to salvage the ones I already have? Suggestions?
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Re: Fork seals blown - what to replace?

You'll need seals and oil replaced. If you're considering respringing or revalving, that would be the time to do it. Depending on wear and the type of fork, you may need to replace bushings as well. We can do the service, call me at 303-216-2400 and I can let you know what to expect pricewise. CSC discount applies!
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

If you don't go with TFOG, the guys at Faster down in denver can do that as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Aracheon View Post
    Is this something where I would be better off buying new forks, or replacing the seals and trying to salvage the ones I already have? Suggestions?
    Definitely not new forks! They're not "salvage", they're just worn. Like the others said, revalve/respring them while you've got them open--the difference will be big when you get it back.

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Yeah rebuild them if you can. It doesn't sound like you have to replace them.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

If the seal has been blown long enough for most or all of the fluid to have leaked out, the damper setting won't matter much, since you are adjusting the size of the orifice the fluid travels through. If there's no fluid to restrict, the size of the orifice becomes moot.

Get the seals and bushings replaced, and with the fresh fluid you'll THINK you spent a ton of dough on new forks!
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Look into checking the internals. As the fluid was escaping out then there is a good chance that moisture and other particulates were being drawn in past the fork and dust seals. Those can cause corrosion (pitting/scarring) on the bushings, damper rods-needle valves, spring steel washers and pitting of the internal tube.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler