View Poll Results: Which Helmet is Best?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shoei

19 21.59%
  • Arai

23 26.14%
  • AGV

2 2.27%
  • HJC

5 5.68%
  • Suomy

10 11.36%
  • KBC

2 2.27%
  • Scorpion

11 12.50%
  • Shark

7 7.95%
  • Bell

1 1.14%
  • other

8 9.09%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Helmet Brand

Best Helmet Brand

Looking for a new helmet, thought I'd poll the group for what you wear/like. Who's your favorite helmet manufacturer? Vote!

I currently own a couple of old Shoeis. A '99ish X-9 and an old RF900. Ready for something new.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Best Helmet Brand

I have worn Arai helmets for about 25 years. I have a Shoei RF-1000 and it's a nice helmet but the Arai fits my noggin better and is much better ventilated.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

I've only owned Scorpions and have only been riding for 3 years. They've all served their purpose though...protecting me in a crash. I've heard the story that some guy from Shoei started Scorpion, cuz he said he could build a comparable helmet without the major bite out of the pocketbook. I've owned the Exo700.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I have worn Arai helmets for about 25 years. I have a Shoei RF-1000 and it's a nice helmet but the Arai fits my noggin better and is much better ventilated.

Dirk
    I had a v nice Mick Doohan Arai, but it consistently left a mark on my forehead after wearage. I guess I have the wrong shaped noggin for Arai. Then I fell off and smashed it, so problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    I've only owned Scorpions and have only been riding for 3 years. They've all served their purpose though...protecting me in a crash. I've heard the story that some guy from Shoei started Scorpion, cuz he said he could build a comparable helmet without the major bite out of the pocketbook. I've owned the Exo700.

Good info. Shoei treats me right fitwise, and I know it's a good helmet, but they are expensive! Would be nice to find a quality alternative.

I voted HJC Cause thats all I have ever had and I like what I have gotten so far. I have heard good things about Shoei, Suomy, and I like Arai but cost alittle much for me right now
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

My preference for longer distance riding (especially in summer) are the Shark helmets. They're VERY light and extremely well ventilated. The only tradeoff with a vented helmet is noise, however.

I'm considering an Arai, Shoei, or a Scorpion when I'm ready for a new one.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lovinCO View Post
    I had a v nice Mick Doohan Arai, but it consistently left a mark on my forehead after wearage. I guess I have the wrong shaped noggin for Arai.
    Yep, comfort and fit are crucial. Sounds like you needed the long oval rather than the round oval shape. Arai offers three different internal shapes. Not sure if any other manufacturers do that.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Yep, comfort and fit are crucial. Sounds like you needed the long oval rather than the round oval shape. Arai offers three different internal shapes. Not sure if any other manufacturers do that.

Dirk

Thanks for the info! I was unaware of differnt internal shapes, may have to reconsider Arai if I can overcome the forehead pressure point...

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I wear the Shoei XP2 (this is the last year) in the winter as it is warmer.

The Scorpion Crackhead is the brain bucket of choice in the warmer weather.

"Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Last edited by *GSXR~SNAIL*; Mon Feb 11th, 2008 at 10:47 PM.
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I have a Suomy and a Shoei... The Suomy is comfy and very lightweight (which helps my neck not get so crunched) they do offer different sizes of padding.. I like my Shoei, great fit, sort of noisy and not as light.. I'm happy with both
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Schuberth (http://www.schuberth.com). They are nice looking and comfy (in my opinion) but who cares. that's not a helmets job. it's job is to save your life and i KNOW my Schuberth will do that. and has.
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista Black View Post
    Schuberth (http://www.schuberth.com). They are nice looking and comfy (in my opinion) but who cares. that's not a helmets job. it's job is to save your life and i KNOW my Schuberth will do that. and has.
    when? pray tell

I'm Ashli with an I bitches AshliRider44's Avatar
    Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!

I'm surprised about the votes for Scorpion. I've seen two crashed Scorpion helmets at the racetrack and they were destroyed.
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Watch Out for us Gene, We Will See You Again

I voted Scorpion because that's what my last two were. Crashed both of them and was happy with the protection. Granted they weren't some crazy hits they took but the comfort and fit were perfect for me too. I'm willing to try different brands on this season, but else fails I'm going back to Scorpion.
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

KBC - I had one of these, and after a few months, the padding was so packed out, it wiggled around on my head. Gave it to my dad and he likes it just fine.

Icon - Yeah, I bought a pink helmet. The padding is hard and it's pretty noisy. I keep it because it is tight on my head. My Arai starts to suck off my head at 100+ mph, where the Icon stays put. Also, with the silver faceshield on, I am in full attention whore mode, and passerbys assume there must be a hot chick under the helmet, and not just 30-something Jen. Rowr!

Arai - When I bought my Arai, I knew only vaguely that they made different shapes (round oval, long oval...). The one off the shelf in the store fit great! Course, it probably helped that a billion people before me had tried on that same helmet. I ordered mine, and when I got it, it never really sat on my head right. I switched out the internal pads to a different size, and that helped a bit. It's also nice that you can wash the internals. It's quiet, light, and soft inside, but at 100+mph, it starts to try to suck up off my head. I know it's not going to fly off, but it's annoying. Also, I wish I could see better periferally. I've always thought the sides of the eye hole were blocking my view to the sides a bit, and it gets worse when the helmet moves around on my head. Maybe this all has to do with the fit. Also, carrrying the helmet I bonked it into a wall, and the little vent tabby on the top broke off...now, if I turn my head just right in the wind I can hear it flap.

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by AshliRider44 View Post
    I'm surprised about the votes for Scorpion. I've seen two crashed Scorpion helmets at the racetrack and they were destroyed.
    A helmets job is not to survive a crash. It is to make the person wearing it survive a crash. Just like the passenger compartment of a formula 1 car, they should absorb the impact and break away so their is less stress on the brain.

IMO, if you were in a major accident involving your head and your helmet did not crumple or the foam did not compress, then that helmet is dangerous. Remember, they are intended for 1 use only
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Looking for a new helmet, thought I'd poll the group for what you wear/like. Who's your favorite helmet manufacturer? Vote!

I currently own a couple of old Shoeis. A '99ish X-9 and an old RF900. Ready for something new.
    I've been a long time Shoei fan (riding in an RF1000 currently), and I replace my helmets every 3 years. I might go with Icon next time, but fit is more important than brand.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Personally I've never owned any of the more expensive brands.
    I've had Bell, Scorpion, KBC, and HJC and in that price range the Scorpion is my favorite.
    Pretty good on weight, noise, and features.

This summer I'll probably break down and pony up the extra bucks for a higher end lid.

I had a v nice Mick Doohan Arai, but it consistently left a mark on my forehead after wearage. I guess I have the wrong shaped noggin for Arai. Then I fell off and smashed it, so problem solved.

Good info. Shoei treats me right fitwise, and I know it's a good helmet, but they are expensive! Would be nice to find a quality alternative.
    Sometimes we can find Shoei closeouts at VERY attractive prices, usually about this time of year when the new styles come out. 40% discounts ar not uncommon (my RF1000 DuHamel replica was almost $400 LESS than the original price!)
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

AKA "Devaclis"

My Icon is really heavy, ugly, fits just OK, and has little to no venting.

I purchased a Simpson. Had it custom sized for me. The damn thing thing started to fall apart in less than a year. It is REALLY light but kind of loud.

I had an HJC and it was heavy, loud, no venting, and after about 3 months the padding inside compressed so much it did not fit anymore.

I have yet to wear any of the more expensive brands but I have tried them all on. None of them fir me really well.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

You will find that different models fit different shapes of heads. first, get something that has been DOT and snell tested. I have heard horror stories of KBC's and Scorpions.

I just recently picked up a Shark helmet for the first time and I love it. Remember, you will get what you pay for. It sucks to have to crash test a helmet so read up on some reviews and see what they say. Of course you can't go wrong with Arai or Suomy, however they are pretty pricey.
    Casey D

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Suomy hands down, I have a shoei x-11 and I don't care for it much.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Sometimes we can find Shoei closeouts at VERY attractive prices, usually about this time of year when the new styles come out. 40% discounts ar not uncommon (my RF1000 DuHamel replica was almost $400 LESS than the original price!)
    Wow! I'd be interested in possible close-out Shoei's.

Will PM you for more info.