Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Aracheon Update

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Re: Aracheon Update

So Chris,

I gotta ask, but would the "circumstances beyond your control" that caused the crash be that you were going a bit too fast in that tight section of the CCP?

I'm not trying to call you out or anything, but if your bike slid over 200 feet and hit the wall hard enough to destroy it like it did I'd say you were probably going too fast for the corner?

Regardless, I'm glad you're ok and I hope you get a break in court, but I kind of agree with everyone else that if you try and fight it you're screwed.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

the plot thickens...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    You are screwed. Simply by sliding 200+ feet a judge is going to concur you speed was far beyond the posted speed limit. Hopefully you'll get some mercy from your certs, proper gear, etc. I'm afraid all that isn't going to matter when the officer presents his side.

Shortcake got her ticket reduced because and officer witnessed it and could attest speed wasn't a factor, nor was State property damaged (the guardrail).
    I'm moderately impressed that DK managed to bring this up WITHOUT reposting "that picture".

Glad you're OK, Chris!
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    So Chris,

I gotta ask, but would the "circumstances beyond your control" that caused the crash be that you were going a bit too fast in that tight section of the CCP?

I'm not trying to call you out or anything, but if your bike slid over 200 feet and hit the wall hard enough to destroy it like it did I'd say you were probably going too fast for the corner?

Regardless, I'm glad you're ok and I hope you get a break in court, but I kind of agree with everyone else that if you try and fight it you're screwed.
    I think that's a proper assessment. Be prepared for the question "How could this have been prevented?" If you go to court.

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    You are screwed. Simply by sliding 200+ feet a judge is going to concur you speed was far beyond the posted speed limit. Hopefully you'll get some mercy from your certs, proper gear, etc. I'm afraid all that isn't going to matter when the officer presents his side.
    The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    the problem is... he fell and crashed, and that constitues riding in an unsafe manner. regardless of his speed since he crashed they will unfortunately say that he was riding too fast for the conditions.

And when i was talking to the Police Officer he mentioned that they tend to have a good amount of crashes and speeding violations along the road, which won't work in Chris's favor either.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
    According to this skid speed calculator http://www.harristechnical.com/skid33.htm

You were going "at least" 74mph at the onset of the skid. (265 foot skid at a downhill -6 degree slope)

Keep in mind that these calculators are based on average friction of tires, pavement etc. It is also calcualating that the skid came to a rest by itself and not impacting the rocks like your bike did.

Even when putting in a pretty hefty downhill angle it slid pretty far.

Obviously there are lots of other factors. But all they are going to see is a miniumum of 74mph (ish) and a speed limit at that corner of 25mph.
    Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by fullgrownbear View Post
    Arch,

Based on experience... The best advice I can give you is to talk to the prosecuter first, and see if you can reach some type of an agreement. If you have a clean record, you should easily be able to walk away with a 1 point ticket, which is not bad at all.

Bring up the fact that the state law you were written for is nothing more than a $46 dollar fine, which is also mailable. Once you mail it in, your 3 points automatically reduce to 1 point. However, in your case it was a summons, (I don't know why).

I would definitly try to strike a deal before taking it all the way before the judge. If you're found guilty, you will be guilty of the entire 3 points, as well as the fine, and court costs.

Just 2 cents.
    The only reason it's a summons is because there was over $1,000 in damage and there were "minor injuries."

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    So Chris,

I need to check with Gilpin county as well as with Central City prior to going in, but if there was mag chloride or gravel on the road, I would consider that to be a circumstance beyond my control. But I see your point 100% - they'll still probably consider it unsafe because as far up CCP I had traveled, the conditions would have been the same through all the corners prior - therefore narrowing the cause to error on the driver's behalf. At fault.

In my defense here, I'll say that I don't think I was going too fast for the corner or for what I felt my ability was. But, my judgment is certainly questionable being that I should have known my tires couldn't/wouldn't handle the turn at the speed I was going.

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    I'm moderately impressed that DK managed to bring this up WITHOUT reposting "that picture".

Glad you're OK, Chris!

I guess I won't need you to weld those swingarm spools on for me now.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Hey Chris, Glad your alright man. Without a doubt you're a poster child for gear. It's good to see you were wearing it all and came out safely.

cops = FAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Aracheon View Post

In my defense here, I'll say that I don't think I was going too fast for the corner or for what I felt my ability was. But, my judgment is certainly questionable being that I should have known my tires couldn't/wouldn't handle the turn at the speed I was going.
    I'm kinda wondering what speed i took that turn now.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Honestly I have to agree wth talking to the DA first. Biggest suggestion is to go in with a huge smile on your face, ask him/her how the day is going. Make a clean joke or try to get him/her to laugh and feel positive in your presence. Make the DA feel that you're a good, nice person and this really was just an accident. They will tend to be a ton more leniant on you when this happens. NEVER let your attitude turn sour, or even as far as serious. That's an attitude for the courtroom.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by fullgrownbear View Post
    ... however the drag factor of the roadway is not taken into consideration with that equation. They must have a set drag factor when you select either concrete or asphalt for your pavement surface. The higher the drag factor the more the speed will go up at the end of the equation.

In Arch's case, there could've been sand/oil/grime who knows what. ..
    That is why I finished it out with a disclaimer that there are other factors. (and pointed out that the skid calc is for TIRES, not plastic, sldiers, pegs, etc. )

I was there. Clean, dry, COLD, asphalt.

No matter how you slice it it is easy to see that he was WAY over the posted limit of 25mph. Which is the downfall in ANY arguement against factors beyond his control.
    Cole
    07 R1 .....now KTM 950 ADV!!!
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

^^^Agreed.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

I'm kinda wondering what speed i took that turn now.
    Probably between 160-190 because we all know your the fuckin' man!
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

I need to check with Gilpin county as well as with Central City prior to going in, but if there was mag chloride or gravel on the road, I would consider that to be a circumstance beyond my control. But I see your point 100% - they'll still probably consider it unsafe because as far up CCP I had traveled, the conditions would have been the same through all the corners prior - therefore narrowing the cause to error on the driver's behalf. At fault.
    I do a lot of work in Gilpin County and drive that road all the time. It sounds like you crashed just after going under the bridge, before the road narrows down to one lane? Those corners are often sandy even in summer and they do spray mag-chloride on the CC parkway. I say blame it on sand and try to look cute.

So you think the cop did not notice the lack of sand?

Last traffic accident report form I saw had a box for road conditions. I would bet that the exact condition of the road are documented in the report.

Hell, I went through the corner at about XXMPH (pleading the 5th amendment) and noticed that there was no sand.
    Cole
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
    So you think the cop did not notice the lack of sand?

Last traffic accident report form I saw had a box for road conditions. I would bet that the exact condition of the road are documented in the report.

Hell, I went through the corner at about XXMPH (pleading the 5th amendment) and noticed that there was no sand.
    You never know, had a friend that got a ticket and the officer (state trooper) forgot to list any type of infraction....

didnt read through it all, wanna sell that thing????

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    it was totalled... not much left in working or riding order... not much spare parts either.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    it was totalled... not much left in working or riding order... not much spare parts either.

Yeah... what Matty said. The subframe was snapped in half and the main frame was tweaked to the point where some of the welds had started to crack. The only thing worthwhile was the engine, but it's sitting along with the frame in a junkyard somewhere. I have a F/S thread up with the last remaining parts from the F4i if you're interested in those... ECU, seat, and pegs.
    Chris

There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Yeah... what Matty said. The subframe was snapped in half and the main frame was tweaked to the point where some of the welds had started to crack. The only thing worthwhile was the engine, but it's sitting along with the frame in a junkyard somewhere. I have a F/S thread up with the last remaining parts from the F4i if you're interested in those... ECU, seat, and pegs.
    At least you came out pretty much unscathed and got a new bike out of it!

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lovinCO View Post
    ... I say blame it on sand and try to look cute.
    Chris,
    Just blame it on sand. If you try to look cute too you'll loose all credibility.

So the insurance co. cut you a check yet?
    When/What ya going shopping for a new one?
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    Chris,
    Just blame it on sand. If you try to look cute too you'll loose all credibility.

So the insurance co. cut you a check yet?
    When/What ya going shopping for a new one?

I know.

The accident happened on a Saturday. I called the claim in on Sunday. They inspected the bike and the gear on Monday, cut me a check on Tuesday, and took the bike on Wednesday. Progressive handled this one VERY quickly, I was rather surprised. I looked at a 2005 600RR that Friday, and picked it up the following Monday.
    Chris

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

I.... I looked at a 2005 600RR that Friday, and picked it up the following Monday.
    And here I was feeling bad for ya being bikeless.
    Post up pics of the new girl!

A couple people have said the same about Progressive.
    I'd consider swithing except I get too good a deal doing home/car/bike together and they don't do home.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    And here I was feeling bad for ya being bikeless.
    Post up pics of the new girl!

A couple people have said the same about Progressive.
    I'd consider swithing except I get too good a deal doing home/car/bike together and they don't do home.

http://cosportbikeclub.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21151

Chris

If anyone wants the originally hosted pics save them now. I will probably delete them from my hosting soon.
    Cole
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com