Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good music player for riding

AKA "Devaclis"

Good music player for riding

Looking for something besides my Sony Ericsson phone. Looking thrifty, really easy to use while stopped at a light, decent amount of space.

Recommend me some tune'age crackas!

BTW: I am gonna be getting this on a gift card so one that I can find retail would be best.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: Good music player for riding

Not an Mac guy at all, but I'd get an iPod. The only problem you're going to run into is the whole "retail" thing. Currently they are only selling 80 and 160 gig. Neither are on the thrifty end of the spectrum.

They are amazing little devices though.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

you could always take a standard player & use some extra strong velcro to velcro it to the top of the triple trees so you could just fiddle with it that way. My iPod works very well, but I just set the playlist and leave it in my pocket w/out fiddling with it.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

i'd drop a few extra dollars on an ipod too, only because of one of the accessories you can get for it.. my wife has one with the wireless wristband control for it, so the ipod sits in her jacket pocket while she rides and she just straps the wristband to her handlebars for easy access to play/skip etc.

other than that if you're looking for cheap yet reliable, my kids have the creative Zens... pretty good quality for the buck, i think.
    - Jeff

AKA "Devaclis"

ok, which iPod? I do not need video. Just ability to set playlists or shuffle. I can probably sell the gift card and get one on eGay.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Fuck iPod. I bought a 4gb Sansa, has video, FM radio, pictures and a slot for a storage card. PLUS you don't have to screw around with iTunes, drag and drop w/out a damn program to download. I bought mine for $60 new online.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Up till recently I rode with a 80Gb iPod, then I got a 4Gb Nano the other day. Soooo much smaller and easier to stick in your jacket pocket. 4Gigs is enough for most day rides, I might go with the larger capacity for longer trips.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

i use ipod as well..... both my jackets have a nifty breast pocket that t fits in, and with gloved hands through my jacket, I can click the "next" button part of the wheel if i need to shuffle through songs. PS its an 80g ipod video

06 DR650SE

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Chris, what's the name of that one you were telling me about?

I think that one was more satelite radio though and you said you could save songs that are played???
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Who needs to buy an iPod.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SanDi...o#availability

I've been using these a few years. 480 songs, shuffle, repeat, fm tuner, and record.

It comes with an armband and a clear case. The skip button is on the end, so I can hit it even with big gloves.

Meets your "retail" and thrifty specs too.

They have a 2 gig basic music player on base for 45 bucks....Easy sneazy too just play pause and skip...Nothing fancy but alot of space and very small...
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Just FYI, you don't have to use iTunes to manage your iPod. I use WinAMP, and while the depths of the software are not really easy for a novice user, you (Dana), will have no problem.

You can manipulate the bejeezus out of your MP3 files, manage your songs, your playlists, album art, video, pictures... Everything iTunes can do, but better. iPod with WinAMP, FTW!

And yes... somebody made a great point about the sheer number of accessories and add-ons and compatible devices that are made for iPods. I hate Macintosh computers (probably for the wrong reasons), but iPod isn't raping the portable music landscape for no good reason.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonneLass View Post

I think that one was more satelite radio though and you said you could save songs that are played???

Im not chris, but i believe what you speak of is the XM MyFi or the like.... its an ipod sized (bit bigger) satellite radio with internal antenna, truly a standalone personal sat radio. I have 2 of them, but never use the record function, but its not good for much if i remember right, i think for the most part people use that feature to record stuff to listen to when the go through a tunnel or are around skyscrapers and lose the sat signal

06 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonneLass View Post

It's the Sirius Stilleto. It wasn't cheap when I got it, but I think it's come down a little im price. It's, in essence, an mp3 player & sattellite radio receiver. You're really paying for the sat radio capabilities tho. If he's looking for just a plane jane mp3 only player then I'd probby recommend a nano or something tiny like that. If you're really into the sat radio tho, the Stiletto is a good buy. You can "grab" songs of the radio as you're listening too them, record chunks of time from different stations, listen to it live, listen to it via wifi, and add/subtract songs like an mp3 player. This is geared more towards sat radio tho, I just wanted to make that point again.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

AKA "Devaclis"

Sooo, I sold my Circuit City gift card to a dood here and bought an iPod Nano 3rd gen on eGay for $99 shipping included. New, in box. With warranty. Basically got it for free.

Barn, ever used Sonique instead of WinAmp?

Anyone need a $25 gift card to a Kawi shop?

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

That was muy fasto!
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

AKA "Devaclis"

haha Yeah. I was looking at the Sansa and I liked it but this was a pretty good deal

AKA "Devaclis"

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

here comes the party pooper,

I say, its not a good idea listening to music while riding, any distraction is a distraction

just my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Barn, ever used Sonique instead of WinAmp?
    No, not for iPod management. I used iTunes for a few weeks on the way-back-when, but finally switched to WinAmp for good after like a day of using it.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

iPod Shuffle --- works GREAT. You need good ear phones tho. I use Sony and Bose
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

AKA "Devaclis"

Yeah, I am looking for a good set that do not come off when putting my helmet on and stay IN when the helmet is on.

I just listen to the voices in my head while riding.....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"