Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time Rider w/ Brand New 600cc Bike

First Time Rider w/ Brand New 600cc Bike

So, you may remember this thread:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=20911

Well, I took the advice of friends and didn't pickup the brand new '07 1000RR that I was looking at and settled for a brand new '07 Ninja ZX-6R.

Like I said, I would not get anything smaller and I didn't. So for Day #2 of riding here are the results:

I pulled up to a stop sign while I was practicing using my rear brake, which was not a smart idea because I was going too slow. I then realized that I was pretty much stopped so I went to put down my left foot and it caught on the shifter so the time it took me to get it on the ground caused the bike to start tilting and I just didn't have enough strength to keep the bike from falling so I laid it down as softly as I could. I sure had a hell of a time getting that thing back up.

I'll take pics when I get home from work tomorrow. Most of the damage was done trying to get the bike off the ground. I scraped the fairing. No cracks in it so it's all good.

So now you can chime in and say, "I told you so." I'll keep you posted if I drop the bike again.
    "6 pairs of kicks is my definition of 12 steps"

Re: First Time Rider w/ Brand New 600cc Bike

mehhh... rookie mistake, no harm no foul. I was pushing my Sprint back into my garage after washing it when the gravity monster jumped up and grabbed it away from me. Right into the side of my (stone exterior) townhouse. $500 dollars worth of ouch repair.

Did you learn from the drop? If so, then there you go.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Yah, I learned to just use my front brake when doing less than half a mph and that I should have taken before pictures of the bike.

shit happens!!!

atleast the first drop of the bike was a soft one.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Or use the front and the back...Using your none breaking foot to place on the ground.

Brake withe the lever, brake with the pedal. Put the left foot down.

Everyone has done it. Its all good.

Aaron
    '08 Suzuki GSXR600

For sure a common scenario to occur with a new rider. A couple weeks after I had mine I was riding past the garages in my complex and a kid came running out directly in front of me. I had the wheel turned a little left when I came to a very abrupt stop, wasn't ready for it, and subsequently dropped my bike. Get used to starting/stopping quickly, crazy world we live in...

Like Aaron said, your muscle memory needs to get accompanied to the leg and hand actions needed to come to a stop. You can use any combination of the brakes that's comfortable to you, but as a beginning rider it's recommended that you use both brakes.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

AKA "Devaclis"

Do you have sliders on your new ride? I would recommend it as these low speed drops are kinda common with new riders. Keep your scoot lookin' pretty
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I'm ordering them today.

Let me know if there is anything else really important that I should order while I am at it. Here is what I have so far in the order:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ggersorder.jpg
    Last edited by thatmofo; Mon Apr 28th, 2008 at 07:49 AM.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Have you taken the MSF course yet ?
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

I remember back in the DAY. On my 1978 KZ650 I pulled up into a parking lot.
    Stopped in front of some hot girls. Unfastened my helmet and in one movement I kicked out the stand and dismounted my beast.

I swaggered off and heard the bike crash to the pavement. The kickstand did not lock.
    Shit
    Shit
    Shit

I picked up the bike and rode off with my destroyed EGO.

At least you dropped it in private. These things happen, Gravity is an unforgiving whore.
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thatmofo View Post
    Yah, I learned to just use my front brake when doing less than half a mph and that I should have taken before pictures of the bike.
    No, you were correct in using the rear brake for low speed stopping. The mistake you made had (most likely to do with improper boots or pants) was getting caught on the shifter/rearset. The rear brake is better than the front (on most cases) for parkinglot or lowspeed stops.
    e.g. Try and use your front brake when doing the figure 8 in the box on your MSF test
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

First rule: Tuck in your laces, and don't wear pants that catch on stuff. I've been very close to doing this same thing, fortunately got my foot unstuck in time. Don't put anything on the lower part of your leg that would prevent you from being able to move anywhere in a hurry...

Sorry you dropped it, but hey, now it has battle scars. And at least it's a "just dropped it at 0.5mph" post instead of a "check out this sweet X-ray of my skull" post.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Stupid little stuff like that happens to everyone. Just keep in mind that you don't neccessarily have the muscle memory down yet enough to automatically do the right thing in emergency situations so keep pacing yourself & take'n 'er easy. Any idiot can twist the throttle, it's what you do when a neighborhood dog or kid runs into your path that counts

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend the LSL sliders for that bike, they look veddy veddy goode!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Have you taken the MSF course yet ?
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    No, you were correct in using the rear brake for low speed stopping. The mistake you made had (most likely to do with improper boots or pants) was getting caught on the shifter/rearset. The rear brake is better than the front (on most cases) for parkinglot or lowspeed stops.
    e.g. Try and use your front brake when doing the figure 8 in the box on your MSF test
    NO, no, and no again. I realize that you are just making a joke, but some new rider, skimming the posts for a clue, might not (the balance of your post is good and relates to safety).

New riders especially, keep you fingers off that front brake until you are ready to stop with the handlebars straight (square to the handlebars to the bike). Otherwise the front end may quickly grab in the direction of the turn and cause the bike to fall to the inside. Just trying to be safe with this one.

Seriously, new riders and experienced alike, take a safety/riding course through an approved agency.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

That really sucks dude. Shit happens, and the most important thing is that you learn from it. Sometimes it's not the power that can get you in trouble. I will admit that when I first got my ninja I didn't have my habits down yet, and made a rookie mistake of setting down my bike on its side cause I "thought" the kickstand was down. Luckily there was ZERO damage except a light scratch on the front blinker that stuck out. There's a trick to picking a bick back up that they teach you in the MSF class. If you haven't taken it yet, definitely TAKE THE CLASS. It's invaluable! I already knew how to ride a motorcycle when I bought my bike, but I took the course and it provided a ridiculous amount of information that I still use every day.

During this shopping trip, you should add frame sliders to the list!
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    NO, no, and no again. I realize that you are just making a joke, but some new rider, skimming the posts for a clue, might not (the balance of your post is good and relates to safety).

New riders especially, keep you fingers off that front brake until you are ready to stop with the handlebars straight (square to the handlebars to the bike). Otherwise the front end may quickly grab in the direction of the turn and cause the bike to fall to the inside. Just trying to be safe with this one.
    Yes, I always remember being told to drag the rear brake for assistance doing the figure eight in the box. It helped quite a bit. But using the front brake in those situations is just asking for a high side...
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

And based on that first thread, is anybody really shocked that he dumped his new bike on day 2?

Perfect example of why any "experienced" rider will tell a newb. "Don't buy a brand new bike, you're going to drop it." I hope it's the worse damage you suffer, but for some reason I don't think it will be. Good luck man.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

AKA "Devaclis"

The reason I am taking the Experienced Riders Course: I have developed a few more bad habits since taking the MSF a couple of years ago. I still practice something EVERY time I get on the bike. Emergency stops, swerving, standing the bike up in a corner to stop, stuff like that.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    And based on that first thread, is anybody really shocked that he dumped his new bike on day 2?

Perfect example of why any "experienced" rider will tell a newb. "Don't buy a brand new bike, you're going to drop it." I hope it's the worse damage you suffer, but for some reason I don't think it will be. Good luck man.
    ZACTLY --- and a pretty fast bike for a new rider.... wait for it..

Ride safe and don't become a statistic this summer...

Like I need your support

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Yeah, I saw you practicing your wheelies the other day too Devaclis...
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Yeah, I saw you practicing your wheelies the other day too Devaclis...

I saw him drive straight once after leaving Dirks!

Like I need your support

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ihavealegohead View Post
    I saw him drive straight once after leaving Dirks!
    I don't believe it.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    I don't believe it.

I don't either. There's nothing straight about Dana.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.