Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper Break In Importance

Proper Break In Importance

Okay, so some of you know that I just got a new Street Triple. If not, well now you do. So, I absolutely love riding it and it's probably the most fun bike I have ever owned. The problem I am having is sticking to the strict break in guidelines. It goes a little something like this:

0-300 miles = 5000 rpm max
    300-600 miles = 6000 rpm max
    600-800 miles = 7000 rpm max
    800-1000 miles = 8000 rpm max

Okay, seriously. Who has the patience to do that? I don't ride a ton of miles a day and I am lucky to get 50 miles per ride. I'm just barely pushing 200 miles and I am finding myself bending the break in rules.

So, my question is this: how critical is it to stick to this? I have heard when it comes to cars, you should drive it during the break in like you plan to drive it in the long run so that things seal and sit to fit your driving habits. In other words, don't baby it too much or it will have to always be babied. Is that true? If it is, does that work on two wheels? I guess what I am trying to say is: When can I rip this bad boy open???

Thank you. Please drive thru...
    Last edited by JarSTriple; Tue Jul 1st, 2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: I didn't make sense there for a minute.

Re: Proper Break In Importance

IMO, repeat IMO! Break it in like you're going to ride it. Triumph has already ran your bike through all its gears on its "Rolling road", aka the final test before the bike goes out the door. And if it was demo'ed at all before you got it...well I bet it's seen redline or close to it.
    Now if you have a warranty issue...you may just want to follow factory specs.
    Do make sure to give it a oil change at 500mi, then another at 1000.

BTW,
    Congrats on a S3 you lucky bastage!
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

I wouldn’t worry about it much so long as you avoid extended high RPM during the first 600 miles. Run it thru the gears and ride a variety of city, canyon and highway roads. You also want back-pressure on the motor so let the clutch out on down shifts with a throttle blip.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

It may be too late for this method, but I'd probably try it anyway:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
    On the Street:
    Warm the engine up completely:
    Because of the wind resistance, you don't need to use higher gears like you would on a dyno machine. The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Realistically, you won't be able to do full throttle runs even in 2nd gear on most bikes without exceeding 65 mph / 104 kph.
    The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration. You don't have to go over 65 mph / 104 kph to properly load the rings. Also, make sure that you're not being followed by another bike or car when you decelerate, most drivers won't expect that you'll suddenly slow down, and we don't want
    anyone to get hit from behind !!

The biggest problem with breaking your engine in on the street (besides police) is if you ride the bike on the freeway (too little throttle = not enough pressure on the rings) or if you get stuck in slow city traffic. For the first 200 miles or so, get out into the country where you can vary the speed more
    and run it through the gears !

Be Safe On The Street !
    Watch your speed ! When you're not used to the handling of a new vehicle, you should accelerate only on the straightaways, then slow down extra early for the turns. Remember that both hard acceleration and hard engine braking (deceleration) are equally important during the break in process.
    I used this method on the Buell, and I haven't had any problems out of her in 19000+ miles. At the very least, it didn't do any harm!

Merlyn
    - 2006 Buell XB12R Firebolt: Elvira, the Gothic XB

"It is caffeine alone that sets my mind in motion.
    It is through beans of java that thoughts acquire speed,
    that hands acquire shakes,
    that shakes become a warning...
    I am... IN CONTROL... OF MY ADDICTION!"

With more and more vehicles having computer engine maps, that can be downloaded by service departments, I wouldn't doubt that this is soon to come to motorcycles as a way to verify manufacturer recommended break-in procedures.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

I read an article some time ago where it was claimed the break in proceedure was more for the new motorcycle customer than the actual moorcycle. Think about it, the sales guy hands you the keys and says the bike is all broken in so go have fun, now you have a rider who has never ridden said motorcycle and lets it rip......

There are enough kids out there that step onto a new motorcycle and wad it up within the 1st 100 miles now, imagine how many more bikes would be crashed in the 1st 100 miles if the break-in restrictions (advised by the OEM) werent in place. Every bike has a different feel, the tires, seat, brakes, ergo's ect and I do think time is needed by the new owner to figure it out.

It's like shops that tell customers to put 100 miles on a new set of tires before they should really lean it over when you can scrub any tire in with one trip around the block if you know what you are doing.

Utah passed a new law with tiered licensing system, this is common place around the world and it is long overdue here in the US.

This is all just my 2c
    It is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    <snip> when you can scrub any tire in with one trip around the block if you know what you are doing.

I would pay to see you break in a set of street tires.

(Your tires after an ROR race are scary looking enough as it is! )
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Follow the factory protocal, you will be happy that you did. However, it's your bike and your money. Use full throttle in short bursts, but don't go over the rpm limits set by the factory. The whole idea is to load and seat the piston rings without overheating and destorying them and other parts that are too tight for full RPMs.
    THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF RIDERS: THOSE THAT HAVE CRASHED, AND THOSE THAT ARE GOING TO CRASH.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

So, since Clarkie doesn't know a damn thing about engines I'm going to agree with him.

My personal experience: I've only purchased one brand new bike ever, in 2002 I bought a Ducati. I basically followed the procedure for the first 600 miles, limiting RPM and loading the throttle heavily to get to those RPM's. Then I changed the oil and took it to the track for my first ever trackday (Clarkie was there, working for Aprilia at the time)

More recently: I had Brian at Boulder Motorsports build the engine for my ducati race bike. In the end this was essentially a brand new engine. New crank, rods, pistons, bearings etc. He ran it on the dyno to set the map, but to break it in? He said "ride it". As a check to make sure everything was working right I had it back on the dyno after the first races and it made MORE HP than when I took it out of the shop the first time. (lots of factors could affect this, but what I'm trying to say is that not "breaking it in" didn't do any damage)

Finally a bit of evidence: Some dyno charts Clarkie posted a while back for his two race motors. Call me silly, but I'm guessing neither of these engines had 1000 miles on them before these runs were done, in fact I'm guessing more like 10.

My advice? Take it easy for the first few hundred miles for sure, get used to your new bike and learn how to really enjoy it. Get your brain acquainted with where the switches and buttons are, get a good feel for the throttle and brakes. Then change the oil, check throttle and clutch cable tensions, check the chain tension and go ride.

Scott

Here's the mototune article that's quote pretty often when this conversation comes up: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

My 6r was brand new a year ago and I rode is hard right off the showroom floor. I took it out & open throttle-closed throttle, open throttle-closed throttle, up & down the gears, etc. It's seemed fine to me. I always make sure the engine gets up to temp, I don't rev it w/no load on the engine, & I change my oil regularly and she's always been good to me. what you're doing when you break it in is helping the rings seat
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    IMO, repeat IMO! Break it in like you're going to ride it. Triumph has already ran your bike through all its gears on its "Rolling road", aka the final test before the bike goes out the door. And if it was demo'ed at all before you got it...well I bet it's seen redline or close to it.

BTW,
    Well, it had 10 miles on it when I bought it and the salesman said that those miles were from two separate demo rides. So, you're probably right about it seeing some high revs before I got my hands on it.

Oh, and thanks for the congrats! I love it! Like I said, it's the most fun I have ever had on a bike. I almost got talked into a (dare I say it) GSXF 650. Ugh! It gives me shivers just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    I wouldn’t worry about it much so long as you avoid extended high RPM during the first 600 miles. Run it thru the gears and ride a variety of city, canyon and highway roads. You also want back-pressure on the motor so let the clutch out on down shifts with a throttle blip.
    I had to ride it home from the Springs to Littleton. About 40 of the 60 miles was straight up I-25 pegged at 5000rpm. Then I hit 85 (Santa Fe) at Castle Rock for a better "gear variety" ride home. I had that trip and then one 40 mile trip through the canyons. The rest of the miles have all been city/around town riding.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    It may be too late for this method, but I'd probably try it anyway:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
    I used this method on the Buell, and I haven't had any problems out of her in 19000+ miles. At the very least, it didn't do any harm!

Merlyn
    It is too late for this since it says the critical break-in is before 20 miles. I liked the read though and I will most likely incorporate the throttle techniques for the rest of the break-in. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    With more and more vehicles having computer engine maps, that can be downloaded by service departments, I wouldn't doubt that this is soon to come to motorcycles as a way to verify manufacturer recommended break-in procedures.
    Well, I hope that's not the case with my bike, because as you can see I will most likely not make it to 1000 miles before I am done breaking it in.

I read an article some time ago where it was claimed the break in proceedure was more for the new motorcycle customer than the actual moorcycle. Think about it, the sales guy hands you the keys and says the bike is all broken in so go have fun, now you have a rider who has never ridden said motorcycle and lets it rip......

There are enough kids out there that step onto a new motorcycle and wad it up within the 1st 100 miles now, imagine how many more bikes would be crashed in the 1st 100 miles if the break-in restrictions (advised by the OEM) werent in place. Every bike has a different feel, the tires, seat, brakes, ergo's ect and I do think time is needed by the new owner to figure it out.

It's like shops that tell customers to put 100 miles on a new set of tires before they should really lean it over when you can scrub any tire in with one trip around the block if you know what you are doing.

Utah passed a new law with tiered licensing system, this is common place around the world and it is long overdue here in the US.

This is all just my 2c
    Well, I have to admit that I am definitely using the break-in period to get used to the bike. It has helped and I haven't gotten myself in any trouble ability wise since I have had to keep it under 5000rpm. It has made me a lot more comfortable being able to gradually get used to the power this thing has.

Quote Originally Posted by IT WASN'T ME! View Post
    Follow the factory protocal, you will be happy that you did. However, it's your bike and your money. Use full throttle in short bursts, but don't go over the rpm limits set by the factory. The whole idea is to load and seat the piston rings without overheating and destorying them and other parts that are too tight for full RPMs.
    Thanks for the tip. So far I have been following them to about 88% accuracy. That's like a B+ right? I guess I will just have to make a point to get out more and get this 1000 miles over with.

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    My advice? Take it easy for the first few hundred miles for sure, get used to your new bike and learn how to really enjoy it. Get your brain acquainted with where the switches and buttons are, get a good feel for the throttle and brakes. Then change the oil, check throttle and clutch cable tensions, check the chain tension and go ride.

Scott
    Thanks for that tip as well! I have pretty much been doing that up to this point. It's just been hard knowing I still have about 800 miles of break-in left.

Yes, I copied everyone's post and responded to them all. Yes, I am a nerd.

Me I was told to take it easy when I first got my bike from the dealer. But talking with almost anyone that has build or rebuild a motor of any kind they alwas say break it in like you plan on riding it.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Aracheon View Post

(Your tires after an ROR race are scary looking enough as it is! )
    All I did to break in my Diablo's was to wash them. The next day I wore off the chicken strips to about 1/4" left. I took the rest off a few days later.

Like I need your support

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Along with keeping the back pressure up during break in, avoid sitting at one rpm for extended periods. Mix it up and go through the range.
    (Not a bad idea even after break in.)

Outside of that, a couple hundred miles avoiding redline, and an oil change or two, and everything should be seated and ready to take full stress.
    (But as others have stated, IMHO, don't come to me if you void your warranty.)

All that being said, you won't damage the bike following the recommended procedure either. If you have the patience for it.

....Utah passed a new law with tiered licensing system, this is common place around the world and it is long overdue here in the US....
    Amen to that.
    I also wish new riders had more choices in small displacement bikes like the rest of the world does.

Quote Originally Posted by Aracheon View Post
    LOL,
    We have.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Here's the mototune article that's quote pretty often when this conversation comes up: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

My 6r was brand new a year ago and I rode is hard right off the showroom floor. I took it out & open throttle-closed throttle, open throttle-closed throttle, up & down the gears, etc. It's seemed fine to me. I always make sure the engine gets up to temp, I don't rev it w/no load on the engine, & I change my oil regularly and she's always been good to me. what you're doing when you break it in is helping the rings seat
    How many miles do you have now? Have you dyno'ed your stock bike to another stock bike of the same year? IF you are a few HP less then the other bike, you now know why.

I think it's a bad idea to hit high rev's with a new engine. There is going to be SOME wear on every engine. And every bit of wear will be different then the next. I've read somewhere (I'll look) that if you don't break it in, you may not hit the max HP the bike was designed for.

I'd stick to the break in procedure as best you can. It's not that long.

Like I need your support

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    Outside of that, a couple hundred miles avoiding redline, and an oil change or two, and everything should be seated and ready to take full stress.
    (But as others have stated, IMHO, don't come to me if you void your warranty.)

Like I need your support

Im with some others here...

RIde it normal but take it easy the first couple hundred. Dont EVER keep the bike at the same RPM for more than a couple seconds after that. Shift through the gears even around town and do some stints where you take it all the way through the RPM range. Keep changing the oil soon and frequent and all should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavealegohead View Post
    I think it's a bad idea to hit high rev's with a new engine. There is going to be SOME wear on every engine. And every bit of wear will be different then the next. I've read somewhere (I'll look) that if you don't break it in, you may not hit the max HP the bike was designed for.
    I'd like to read that. Please provide a link to it.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by ihavealegohead View Post
    How many miles do you have now? Have you dyno'ed your stock bike to another stock bike of the same year? IF you are a few HP less then the other bike, you now know why.

I'd stick to the break in procedure as best you can. It's not that long.
    I've got about 7500 miles on the bike at the moment and I never redlined or kept it at a constant RPM. I varied RPMs often and changed the oil at the right times. I haven't dynoed it yet, partially b/c it's all stock and I don't have a PC3, so since I can't really change anything at th emoment, there's not a lot a dyno's gonna do for me except tell me my numbers. But to be quite honest, if I loose one or two horsepower b/c of break in, I'm never gonna miss it as I just won't end up riding that bike the 100% of its potential.

Kawi recommended that I keep it under 6k for the first 600 miles & under 8k for the first 1k miles & then I can open it up. to be honest, I didn't feel safe riding the bike that low either since I wouldn't have as much engine braking & I'd be worried about screwing up the engine if I had to get away from someone. It was just an extra thing in the back of my head while I was getting used to a new bike.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post

BTW,
    Agreed... Get yer oil changed and call it good. When I bought my S3, it already had like 400 demo miles on it so the salesman told me to ride it like I stole it and bring it back for the first service...

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    They already do. According to some family friends, they were told that HD will void all factory warranties if their computer showed they didn't follow the proper break in procedures on their Road King.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    Along with keeping the back pressure up during break in, avoid sitting at one rpm for extended periods. Mix it up and go through the range.
    (Not a bad idea even after break in.)
    So, was the trip home from the Springs bad for the engine? Like I said, I had it pegged at 5000rpm for most of the trip. I had to. That was keeping me between 60-65mph. Luckily my wife was following me or else I would have gotten run over. I had everything from grandmas to big rigs passing me by.

Was this the same HD dealership that you went to a few months ago?
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    Was this the same HD dealership that you went to a few months ago?
    Nope... this was from some peeps that bought an anniversary edition road king. I have no idea what dealership they bought it at, this was what they told me so I can't verify it as fact or not.

It wouldn't surprise me though... isn't that what the Ducati mechanic's key is for? Download telemetry and what not from the computer?
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

+1 for MotoTune method
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."