Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Diss a 250!!

Don't Diss a 250!!

So myself and Whitest shot up the Pouder this evening, him on his Ninja 250 and me on my SV650. That little bike had NO problems in the twisties. Straight aways are another story, but there where not many of those. Basically, as a new comer to the sport I have learned a valuable lesson. A good rider can enjoy any bike no matter the size.
    Last edited by Nerves; Thu Jul 10th, 2008 at 08:36 AM.

Lol has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

Why is a school zone 20 mph? That seems like the optimal cruising speed for pedophiles...

R.I.P. Les Paul

Re: Don't Diss a 250!!

Word to that. Even on my first group ride with my old 250, I was able to keep up for the most part, except up in the real high altitudes on the way to Deckers. Otherwise, it's not all about engine size!
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Just imagine how it'll corner when the suspension is set up properly and some sticky pirelli's

i wouldn't say straight line speed was a problem, i just didnt feel like i needed to go faster than the speed we were at, since that was already over the speed limit.

straight lines gave you chance to catch up anyways

jk
    ^Ted^

a specific position or point in physical space

Quote Originally Posted by Nerves View Post
    ...Ninja 250...That little bike had NO problems in the twisties...I have learned a valuable lesson...A good rider can enjoy any bike no matter the size...
    Amen brother...
    9/7 MotoGP Fan
    "Four wheels move the body...Two wheels move the soul"

http://www.lubedealer.com/otg_oil_lube

The ninja 650 is also a slow bike which is fun. and avoid tickets when riding with faster bikes.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Yeah... 250 love... all about the 250 love
    My 250 can beat up your 250...
    cause its a Ninja

I want my two-fiddy back....

Jeanna

250 FTMFW

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shortcake View Post
    I want my two-fiddy back....
    Really????!!! So, go get one sister so we can ride together. Get on it!!!!
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

I loved my little two-fiddy. I called her "Little Toot". She was so much fun. I sold her for a bigger bike. I had a 08 250, cherry red. Sold it the same day I advertised it on craigslist.
    I had an ad in the newspaper for a week, not one response. Apparently, motorcycle riders don't read the newspaper.
    Careful kid, you'll shoot your eye out

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nerves View Post
    So myself and Whitest shot up the Pouder this evening,..
    We don't need to hear about your sex life.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Being the noobie on the block. I have a 250 and I am in love with it. My sugz has a R1 and in my own delusional mind I can keep up on our rides around town. Anywhoo, its a great bike and its all I need. Maybe in a couple of years I'll be changing the tune of my song but for today my Ninja rocks my world.

Plus....I am girlie and it looks pretty!
    2008 Ninja 250

Mae

One of my good friends on another forum once said
    "Good riders make slow bikes fast"

right now im hating my two fitty. i blew my rear shock yesterday, probably from riding peak to peak two up. when i came out to it this morning, there was a pool of shock fluid puddled underneath it

i wasn't over the weight limit either (im around 180, she was 130) and i also have ~20 lbs removed from the rear of the bike with my aftermarket exhaust....

^Ted^

a specific position or point in physical space

Quote Originally Posted by denver_whitest185 View Post
    right now im hating my two fitty. i blew my rear shock yesterday, probably from riding peak to peak two up. when i came out to it this morning, there was a pool of shock fluid puddled underneath it

i wasn't over the weight limit either (im around 180, she was 130) and i also have ~20 lbs removed from the rear of the bike with my aftermarket exhaust....

Sorry to hear about your dilemma...I hope you get your ride fixed soon.

Ciao,
    Drift
    9/7 MotoGP Fan
    "Four wheels move the body...Two wheels move the soul"

http://www.lubedealer.com/otg_oil_lube

My 250 was an awesome bike - bought her brand new in 2005 and put more miles on her in the roughly 2 and a half years I had her then most people could believe. We went everywhere together from the top of CO mountain passes to IMI fun to the 101 at sea level in CA. Every kind of pavement, gravel, dirt, even a sidewalk when I had to make my way past a newly tarred road. She'd still be with me today if not for the motard encounter. Although I have my Italian beauties now, there will always be a special place in my heart for my lost 250 and it extends to every 250 I see on the road. Nine times out of ten, the only people that diss the 250s are those who've never ridden one (or never ridden one well, lol).

...you're one of them, aren't you? No, I'm something else...

It's a trick. Get an axe.
    ~~~ ~~~

"I say let the sky continue to fall on those that expect nothing else, and let the sky continue to be limitless, for those of us who will settle for nothing less." Barn in a sublime moment (well-done!)

Quote Originally Posted by denver_whitest185 View Post

Think of it as an opportunity to upgrade the rear shock.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

and an opportunity to wring my credit card again. im a tutor for CSU currently. aka - low funds....

im having IRdave look at it tomorrow to see if he can rebuild it, and he's checking around to see how much an aftermarket one will run me though him. i may have found a nice used fox shock though
    Last edited by denver_whitest185; Wed Sep 3rd, 2008 at 12:19 AM.
    ^Ted^

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

I loved my first 250 ninja. It was my first bike and I rode it with great caution because it was the fastest thing I ever drove. And when I showed it off at work a dude said why didn't I get a bigger bike. I was afraid of a bigger bike at the time. They do rock!

David
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Think of it as an opportunity to upgrade the rear shock.
    Bingo. Look around for EX500 or SV650 shocks; you can probably find one and have Dave freshen it up. I believe the EX500 bolts right up, the SV650 is better but requires a bracket or something. I know a guy out in Virginia making those brackets however.

The 250's are actually stupid fun. No real power to speak of, and they start out like a scooter, but above 9K they get a (little) grunt to them and pick up speed. I recently got done building one for Donna to learn on (guy on here was selling it with a blown motor), and even if she outgrows it I think we'll keep it just for pure entertainment value. Fun in the turns, and if you keep the speed up it'll move.

It's also hard to argue with something that has no trouble doing highway speed (or more...) and gets 70-80mpg.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

AKA "Devaclis"

250!!!

First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Bingo. Look around for EX500 or SV650 shocks; you can probably find one and have Dave freshen it up. I believe the EX500 bolts right up, the SV650 is better but requires a bracket or something. I know a guy out in Virginia making those brackets however.

I think the fox race shock i just picked up will blow both of those out of the water
    ^Ted^

Dana how do you always find the best pics
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    Nine times out of ten, the only people that diss the 250s are those who've never ridden one (or never ridden one well, lol).
    You said it there! Small bikes are tons of fun when you know what you're doing.

A group of guys my age (I'm almost 49) that I've ridden with for a quite a few years all gave me shit when I got rid of my 1100 cruiser and went to a 600 sportbike. They all ride HD's and metric cruisers and referred to my R6 as the "little bike". They kept asking me when I was going to get a "real bike."

Well, one day in July, they all shut up about it when they were passed by someone on a 2008 Ninja 250 about halfway up 119 through Boulder Canyon.

I was waiting for them at the Sinclair station in Ned (I was a good ten minutes ahead of them) when I saw a green 250 go by and head up 72. When they all finally showed up they were talking about "green Kawi liter bike" that blew by them. The looks on their faces was priceless when I told them it was a 250.

Maybe it was someone on this forum that was on that 250. My buddies were on a Honda VTX, Honda Magna, and an HD Wide Glide. Whoever did it, thanks for the great laugh I got when I told them about the little bike that smoked them.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.