Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't Diss a 250!!

Re: Don't Diss a 250!!

While I'm not dissing a 250, I'm not going to say I love it. I've been tooling around on my roomates 08 Ninja 250, because my Triumph is still jersey, and he just picked up a 636. Last weekend we ran across 14, and back through rocky mountain, and this past weekend we shot down 7 and 72. I was keeping up in the twisties fine, but try passing any cager without a downhill and a tailwind is a lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    While I'm not dissing a 250, I'm not going to say I love it. I've been tooling around on my roomates 08 Ninja 250, because my Triumph is still jersey, and he just picked up a 636. Last weekend we ran across 14, and back through rocky mountain, and this past weekend we shot down 7 and 72. I was keeping up in the twisties fine, but try passing any cager without a downhill and a tailwind is a lost cause.
    A 250cc is a good bike to learn on, I imagine... And serves the purpose for those that wants that kind of "power"
    Last edited by SLVRSURFR; Sun Sep 14th, 2008 at 05:01 PM.
    Every man dies..
    Not every man really Lives...

www.myspace.com/5thdynasty

aka: Whomp stick

250's good in my book, they do say kawasaki on them, right.
    plus you usually can't tell unless you look hard or ask.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    Passing on highway speed with a 250 requires some planning... From my experience the top speed of a 250 at our altitude is about 85-90 mph. If the speed limit is 75 and everyone is going 80-85 you can see there is going to be a problem.

ive hit 110 on my speedometer before on a flat stretch (thats where the rev limiter hits in 6th with the tires im using)
    ^Ted^

I have an '09 and it hits the wall at around 90 mph according to my GPS. The pre-'08 250's are suppose to have more power than my '09 so it wouldn't surprise me if they have higher top speed.
    '09 Ninja 250R
    '06 Legacy 2.5GT
    '94 300ZX TT

Mine absolutly rocks! 1 step above scooter and the little sumbitch has me smiling.
    It is fun to ride the bike, and not the motor.
    People would be amazed at what one of these will do, it is the only sportbike I will ever ride to near full potential.

I wasnt that intrigued about these bikes until I read the artical in sport rider last month. Talk about a cheap way to get into racing! Plus with the bikes being so equal its more on the rider to get the win. I wish they had a series like this here.

http://www.sportrider.com/features/1...250/index.html
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

I love my lady's 250. Very Very fun bike.
    MRA #595
    01' YZF R6 RACE (Kinky Kylie)
    Facebook - Shawn Parrish

Quote Originally Posted by Joew4505 View Post
    I wasnt that intrigued about these bikes until I read the artical in sport rider last month. Talk about a cheap way to get into racing! Plus with the bikes being so equal its more on the rider to get the win. I wish they had a series like this here.

http://www.sportrider.com/features/1...250/index.html
    Cool article That would be such a blast, and reasonably priced.

I've heard in passing (I think) that there are other organizations that have 250 races. I bet if we had enough interest, and enough people that were serious about it, we might be able to convince the MRA to start up a class. There would probably need to be some serious momentum behind it though.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

We've done some looking into it in the MRA and there are some real problems with the class here.

1) It's a one class bike and we'd have to MAKE the class for it.

2) At altitude the power is further reduced

3) You could take a nap, get a donut and read a short story in the time it would take to manage the straights at Pueblo or HPR.

All that adds up to not many participants. Anyone currently racing would have to buy a new bike to race, and the newbies would only have one class that they could even think about being competitive in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a STRONG advocate for a "riders" class in the MRA, but this isn't going to be the way it happens.

s

That's what I was kind of thinking. Limited participants and limited classes to run in. I have a funny feeling your exaggerating about the straight (although it probably isn't that far off either). I can't imagine a 250 down the straight @ Miller. It seems like forever on a 600.

I want to take it to PMI one of these days, won't be any worse than my KTM tard was. 95mph down the straight.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

I think those people that don't think the 250 would be a good race class have it wrong. Look in a number of magazines (SR March 2009) and you'll see why the Ninja 250 race class is getting huge.
    -Its cost effective (tires last 3 race weekends and are cheap)
    -Just add race plastic and safety wire
    -A great alternative for new racers compared to the "sportsman" class
    -Easy way to get into racing without being overwhelmed

You could easily pick up a used 250 and get racing for less than $5K. Its catching on everywhere else for a reason, why not here?
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    I think those people that don't think the 250 would be a good race class have it wrong. Look in a number of magazines (SR March 2009) and you'll see why the Ninja 250 race class is getting huge.
    -Its cost effective (tires last 3 race weekends and are cheap)
    -Just add race plastic and safety wire
    -A great alternative for new racers compared to the "sportsman" class
    -Easy way to get into racing without being overwhelmed

You could easily pick up a used 250 and get racing for less than $5K. Its catching on everywhere else for a reason, why not here?
    Those were my thought exactly and those of the artical above. I like the idea for sure.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

I have an '08 Hyosung 250GT. V-twin power and the size of a 650!

In 28 years of riding and bike owning, it's one of the "funnest" bikes I've ever owned.

I bought it for the great mpg last July when gas prices were ridiculous. I'm not interested in trying to race anyone and the bike does the job I need it to do.
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

I started out on a 250 ninja the only thing was the suspension and tire selection can make you feel less than confident at times. But my 250 was old so the suspension was toast..It was a fun bike and I was able to keep up with bigger bikes with unskilled riders.

I think a "sippy cup" race for 250's would be a hoot, spec motor, limited tweaks and close competition. Find a way to make older 250s competitive and talk about a cheap way to race. I mean, look at the 125cc GP bike races, drafting and position changes; fun!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

I don't think the 250 would work for me. I carry more lbs than the little ninja has CC's.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

You'd be surprised, we ride 2 up (300+) around town fine and it is still will run us up and down the close in mnts. On my own the thing actually rails pretty good.

250cc = "meh"

IMO, 250s are just a "meh" bike. If it's just for commuting, great, but if I'm just riding on the weekends, then I need something that puts a smile on my face and raises the hair on my arms when I crank it up. I want to be a superhero when I ride. I'm sure they corner fine, but they don't blow my hair back.

I'll take the Prius to work, then drive the 500bhp rally car on the weekends if you know what I mean. (no, I don't own either of those cars, but that'd be my fantasy)
    -Ryan