Thread: Trailer

Trailer

I am wanting a trailer for my bike so I can haul it around places I need to. Problem is I dont own a truck of any kind so it needs to be small (pulled behind a VW GTI lol. I was trying to find a single rail metal trailer with full size wheels and I cant seem to find one. Is this something I could have made? What would I expect in cost on something like this? Any ideas?

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Trailer

I bought one of these and put it together:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90154

I can take it off the hitch and push it into the garage with the bike on it.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I think Konichd was selling a small 2 rail trailer, you may check The Bodega, For Sale section here. Your VW can probably tow up to 2000 lbs, I would guess ?

sidenote: Dirk - do you tow it with the rear stand on the bike (as shown in pic) or is that just for pic purposes ? lol
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Dirk I like that trailer, I had just seen that one when doing some searches. Now I just need to find a hitch for a 2008 GTI haha! Just makes me laugh picturing my lowered gti pulling a trailer behind it going 45mph on I70 in to the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    sidenote: Dirk - do you tow it with the rear stand on the bike (as shown in pic) or is that just for pic purposes ? lol
    It was on so I could more easily get to the oil drain plug to safety wire it. Not there for towing.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

ahh ok.. Thanks... I've never seen them towed like that, so I was curious .. lol
    Did it take you long to assemble the trailer, wood, etc ? And what do you estimate your final cost being for it ?
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Quote Originally Posted by merlotSV View Post
    I am wanting a trailer for my bike so I can haul it around places I need to. Problem is I dont own a truck of any kind so it needs to be small (pulled behind a VW GTI lol. I was trying to find a single rail metal trailer with full size wheels and I cant seem to find one. Is this something I could have made? What would I expect in cost on something like this? Any ideas?
    merlot, i got just what you need.............i even have a cheap front wheel chock i'll throw in...trailer weighs about 300lbs max............
    make me an offer.......................

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=25252
    Last edited by mayhem; Thu Aug 28th, 2008 at 10:31 AM.

Did it take you long to assemble the trailer, wood, etc ? And what do you estimate your final cost being for it ?
    I think it was on sale for $300 when I got it and the chock was $120. You could go with a cheaper chock but I like that one because you can roll the bike into it and it will hold the bike up, making loading and unloading a one-person job. I forget what the pressure-treated 3/4" plywood cost but probably like $30. Then there were various bolts for the plywood and a few eye-bolts for the tie-downs. It was probably in the neighborhood of $500 total. It took me one Saturday to put it all together and it wasn't difficult at all.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Neeeever transport a bike on the stand. It puts all of the force of bumps right onto the swingarm spools, which aren't up to the task. Always have the bike on its tires. (Yes the suspension will still absorb shock like it normally would in that picture, but it still gets transmitted to the bike through the spools - let it come in through a flexible tire, into a strong wheel, axle, etc.)
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    .. I like that one because you can roll the bike into it and it will hold the bike up...
    Speaking of chocks, be sure to grab my roll in when you get down there Dirk.
    Save yourself having to hassle with the rear stand.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Neeeever transport a bike on the stand. It puts all of the force of bumps right onto the swingarm spools, which aren't up to the task. Always have the bike on its tires. (Yes the suspension will still absorb shock like it normally would in that picture, but it still gets transmitted to the bike through the spools - let it come in through a flexible tire, into a strong wheel, axle, etc.)
    That's what I thought, plus I've never seen it done before... but just because I haven't seen it, doesn't mean it can't/won't/hasn't happened... ...

Thanks for the info Dirk...
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Quote Originally Posted by merlotSV View Post
    Just makes me laugh picturing my lowered gti pulling a trailer behind it going 45mph on I70 in to the mountains.
    I can personally vouch for both a Harbor Freight trailer and mayhem's trailer in that they pull really nice at highway speeds.

There's no place like home............

I used to have a 2001 VW GTI VR6 that I towed two bikes with on a Harbor Freight Trailer. I got the Hidden Hitch for the VW and it fit nicely. Best thing about the Harbor Freight is that it folds up and gets out of the way!
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/

Ever consider just renting a trailer from uhaul or Home Depot? If you use it 15 or less days a year, renting is the way to go IMO. I simply don't have enough room to store a trailer and for $10-$15/day, renting is cheaper for many of us.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

I have a HF trailer too. Pulls nicely behind my little 2.4L 4 cly. Works great for the price.

If you have a bit more money, kendon make really nice little fold up bike trailers. Bigger wheels, torsion bar axles (low bed height), built in chocks etc.

There's a 2 rail on craigs now:
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/816583227.html

Quote Originally Posted by peteremsley View Post
    I have a HF trailer too. Pulls nicely behind my little 2.4L 4 cly. Works great for the price.

If you have a bit more money, kendon make really nice little fold up bike trailers. Bigger wheels, torsion bar axles (low bed height), built in chocks etc.

There's a 2 rail on craigs now:
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/816583227.html
    If I had the money. Meh I'll make do with my $400 angle iron special.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...